IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubaeopsis Splitting...Keep as single?

Jim in Los Altos

image.thumb.jpg.b28d6ba3fd589d9e633767e7My Jubaeopsis cafra is splitting into two as they typically do. My question is: Has anyone attempted to keep theirs a single? I'd like it to grow more like a coconut would and it's also in close proximity to a big mature Howea and a Queen x Bu x Ju so I don't want multiple stems. Anybody ever do that?

• Upvote 6

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

image.thumb.jpg.e4e20416627f7e301f09564c

• Upvote 8

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

I have seen no evidence of anyone trying this.

If you really want to separate it, maybe it should be treated like a regular suckering palm in this respect(?).

Jim, they will not set back if you decide to whack off the sucker. I have seen it done before with great success. Just treat it with the usual regiment of fungal treatments. They look killer as big singles IMO. I have a really big seeding tree that I'm keeping as a double. I may plant out another and keep it as a single to give it that coconut like look.

• Upvote 5

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

11 hours ago, Josh-O said:

Jim, they will not set back if you decide to whack off the sucker. I have seen it done before with great success. Just treat it with the usual regiment of fungal treatments. They look killer as big singles IMO. I have a really big seeding tree that I'm keeping as a double. I may plant out another and keep it as a single to give it that coconut like look.

I also have a D. decipiens I was thinking about doing the same to, but undecided.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

11 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I also have a D. decipiens I was thinking about doing the same to, but undecided.

I recently cut off one of the stems to make mine a single. This palm looks great as a solitary palm IMO

• Upvote 2

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

23 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Same, I would love the look of a solitary jubaeopsis and recipients but I'm too afraid of losing them to try removing suckers.

I don't have a photo, but the most famous Dypsis decipiens would be the single trunk plant of the late Pauleen Sullivan in Ventura.  She told me directly that she had diligently removed all secondary growths.

Other forum participants must surely have an image of this palm, please contribute ! 

• Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

Pauline's D. decipiens IMG_7395.JPG.fb68fff6810f14a858a4df61ec5in Ventura. It's magnificent!

• Upvote 9

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Another shot of same palm.IMG_7396.thumb.JPG.f83d3611fc32a53225777

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

How do you guys stop them from splitting when the split seems to start in the crown?

• Upvote 1

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I would plant more than one specimens closely. It seems that in this case every individual focus on outgrowing the competitors and not splitting. Of course after a certain time one of them will eventually outgrow the others and by that time it will hopefully reach a size, not anymore prone to splitting. Just a guess! 

• Upvote 1

@Jim in Los Altos, I'll offer a polite dissent: That J-opsis is a seriously rare treasure. You might have the most northern specimen around, and it looks healthy! They're not an easy grow in my experience. Just keeping it alive and happy is a major accomplishment. So, I'd let it branch. Howeas and mules move easily, and that's what I'd do. Let it be what it wants to be, and show it off in all of its glory.

I do agree that they good as a one-trunker. But that's not what they are. Maybe consider: one dolphin leaping gracefully by the boat is beautiful. But a pod leaping in synchronous counterpoint are exponentially more glorious.

Whatever you do, let us know, so we can all salivate over its beauty.

• Upvote 4

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

@Jim in Los Altos, I'll offer a polite dissent: That J-opsis is a seriously rare treasure. You might have the most northern specimen around, and it looks healthy! They're not an easy grow in my experience. Just keeping it alive and happy is a major accomplishment. So, I'd let it branch. Howeas and mules move easily, and that's what I'd do. Let it be what it wants to be, and show it off in all of its glory.

I do agree that they good as a one-trunker. But that's not what they are. Maybe consider: one dolphin leaping gracefully by the boat is beautiful. But a pod leaping in synchronous counterpoint are exponentially more glorious.

I'm further north, so I got Jim beat. :lol:

• Upvote 3

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Here’s my big boy this morning. Easy care, don’t do much besides water it.

494421E8-0EAF-4C20-901C-B5FD9FBBB3BF.jpeg

• Upvote 13

Ben Rogers

Well, I believe I'm both farther north and more inland than most of you other Jubaeopsis growers in California! I'm 'cheating' though since I keep my doubleheader in a pot and bring it indoors each winter... at least for the foreseeable future. I hauled it outside earlier this month once the temps increased.

Jubie-1.jpg

Jubie-2.jpg

• Upvote 10

14 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Ben, your's is magnificent. How much sun exposure does it get. Mine's shaded by several overhead palm canopies but gets some winter full sun. Is your's exhibiting any splitting yet. It's got a great Cocos look!

• Upvote 4

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

16 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Dave, the nearby Kentia is really big at over 20 feet with a huge canopy. It will always be much taller than my currently juvenile Jubaeopsis. At the rate my Syagrus x Butia x Jubaea, also nearby, is growing, it too will be well above the Jubaeopsis. I just want the "island" they're all growing on to be lush but not with trunk overload. Most of my landscape is already on trunk overload. ;)

Edited by Jim in Los Altos
  • Upvote 2

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

6 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Dave, the nearby Kentia is really big at over 20 feet with a huge canopy. It will always be much taller than my currently juvenile Jubaeopsis. At the rate my Syagrus x Butia x Jubaea, also nearby, is growing, it too will be well above the Jubaeopsis. I just want the "island" they're all growing on to be lush but not with trunk overload. Most of my landscape is already on trunk overload. ;)

Okay, that wasn't really apparent from the pictures.

That J-opsis will kind of glow in the dark amid that canopy.

Let us know how it grows, and come visit sometime, and maybe throw a little happy karma on my sad-sack specimen.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

15 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Ben, your's is magnificent. How much sun exposure does it get. Mine's shaded by several overhead palm canopies but gets some winter full sun. Is your's exhibiting any splitting yet. It's got a great Cocos look!

Almost full sun, Jim, and lots of heat as you know.  I'm waiting for the split but hoping it decides not to!

Ben Rogers

On 4/24/2018, 9:01:30, Ben in Norcal said:

That's a golden coco.

• Upvote 3

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

On 4/24/2018, 11:22:09, Jim in Los Altos said:

IMG_6665.thumb.JPG.afca63e55cd10cf587364Dave, There's the nearby Howea and the Queen Bu Ju in the low center of the picture and you can see the Jubaea fronds peaking out in the lower right side of the picture. The rest of the palm foliage is several Chamaedorea benzii. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 10

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

11 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

IMG_6665.thumb.JPG.afca63e55cd10cf587364Dave, There's the nearby Howea and the Queen Bu Ju in the low center of the picture and you can see the Jubaea fronds peaking out in the lower right side of the picture. The rest of the palm foliage is several Chamaedorea benzii. 

Whoa, like something out of "South Pacific."

As far north as Columbus, Ohio!

• Upvote 1

On 4/26/2018, 12:03:34, DoomsDave said:

Whoa, like something out of "South Pacific."

As far north as Columbus, Ohio!

Thanks Dave. I've crammed palms into virtually every possible nook and cranny but still manage to add a couple more species every year. The palm bug is more like an addiction. 

• Upvote 3

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

14 minutes ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Thanks Dave. I've crammed palms into virtually every possible nook and cranny but still manage to add a couple more species every year. The palm bug is more like an addiction. 

I'm on the same trajectory...:bemused:

• Upvote 4

• 5 weeks later...

My Jubaeopsis is about 8 feet tall right now. Loving the solitary look, I was a bit surprised today to see.  ihad sort of noticed something happening over the winter but the split only became obvious when I took a real close look this morning. As summer is coming up and we have zero chance of rain or cold, I decided to chop the second spear after reading this thread. As Zeeth described above, my split is exactly in the crown.   

IMG_20180527_172131.jpg

• Upvote 2

Lardos, Greece ( Island of Rhodes ) 10B

1.9 km from Mediterannean Sea

The crown is divided into two distinct parts it's a bit confusing as there are leaves that seem to have turned around in the last little while to join one or the other stems.

IMG_20180527_172327.jpg

Edited by mlovecan
spelling
  • Upvote 2

Hacking away at the unwanted stem.

IMG_20180527_172913.jpg

• Upvote 2

Stem reduced as far as I dare for now. Soft as a banana plant, sure it will all harden up and I can hack away further sometime in the future.

IMG_20180527_173954.jpg

• Upvote 2

Another view of the chop job.IMG_20180527_195949.thumb.jpg.8738831388

• Upvote 3

The whole tree post-surgery.

IMG_20180527_200032.jpg

• Upvote 3

I recommend that you dust the cut surface with powdered sulfur as a preventative against infection.  It is not expensive, I always do this on cut, living tissues.  :) 

• Upvote 3

San Francisco, California

Thanks for the recommendation Darold. I will have to pick some up tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

On 24/4/2018, 6:58:28, Ben in Norcal said:

I'm further north, so I got Jim beat. :lol:

On 24/4/2018, 9:47:02, Hillizard said:

Well, I believe I'm both farther north and more inland than most of you other Jubaeopsis growers in California! I'm 'cheating' though since I keep my doubleheader in a pot and bring it indoors each winter... at least for the foreseeable future. I hauled it outside earlier this month once the temps increased

There are some instances of cultivated specimens in even more northern spots in Europe, above 40 N. But I think I am on the lead in terms of cold climate. IMG_20180514_173257.thumb.jpg.e2289258a8IMG_20180514_173242.thumb.jpg.55019ba48e

• Upvote 12

13 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

There are some instances of cultivated specimens in even more northern spots in Europe, above 40 N. But I think I am on the lead in terms of cold climate. IMG_20180514_173257.thumb.jpg.e2289258a8IMG_20180514_173242.thumb.jpg.55019ba48e

Phoenikakias: Good to know! That gives me some confidence I'll be able to plant my double-headed Jubie in the ground eventually. ;)

• Upvote 1

This is a fascinating thread. I was unaware some palms split heads. 

I wonder if that is why the CIDP's grow, what appear to be, multiple spears at once.

Are there pictures of split head Jubeae? I guess one would have to have a keen eye to notice the two separate spears. Or does it split the trunk in two? 

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

48 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

This is a fascinating thread. I was unaware some palms split heads. 

I wonder if that is why the CIDP's grow, what appear to be, multiple spears at once.

Are there pictures of split head Jubeae? I guess one would have to have a keen eye to notice the two separate spears. Or does it split the trunk in two? 

Jubaeopsis splitting is a very different phenomenon to a palm having multiple spears at once (Phoenix, Bismarckia at many other non splitting/clumping/branching palms show this). For Jubaeopsis, D decipiens, baronii, Hyphaene and some others, spears can be sent out that grow eventually into new stems. One way I've been able to notice when a branching type is starting to split is when two new spears grow at a similar stage of progression beside each other. When a palm has multiple spears but is not going to branch, the spears tend to be at a different stage of growth (they are sent out one after the other). 

• Upvote 3

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

Thank you Tim.

Does anyone have pics of a split head palm?

(In all its grandeur)

Edited by GottmitAlex