IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

I am pleased to announce that we will holding the PSSC’s May 19, 2018 meeting in two gardens in Huntington Beach, in the OC by the sea. The first garden is the never-before-visited home and garden of Frank and Kathy van Twist. The second is the previously visited home and garden of John Boyer.

The Van Twists open their garden to show off a nice collection of rare palms. Highlights include: a HUGE Arenga pinnata, Beccariophoenix alfredii, a mature Pritchardtia forbesiana, grown 20’+ tall and almost 2 feet across the base, Pritchardtia martii, a maturing Parajubaea torallyi torallyi, various Dypsis including droopy onilahenis and many more.

John Boyer’s home and garden sit on a quarter acre, with many palms, some very well-established. The front is guarded by a stately Rhopalistylus sapida, brazen beneath the sun in all its glory. That’s just the start; other highlights include a fabulous understory Dypsis with pink crownshaft, toweringly mature Dypsis leptocheilos, mature Roystoneas, mature Chambeyroneas (including a “mealy bug”). Stopping now, catch breath . . . plus Burretiokentia veillardii (12 – 15 feet tall), Hedyscepe 15’ with 6 – 7’ of trunk, and a 10 foot tall Dypsis decipiens. Plus a Ravenea sambirinensis that’s 20’ tall and many many more.

ITINERARY

9:30 a.m.  PSSC Board meeting at Van Twist Garden

10:00 a.m. Self-guided tours of Van Twist Garden

11:30 a.m. Exit Van Twist Garden go to Boyer Garden

12:00 noon. Potluck Lunch; chicken will be provided

1:00 p.m. General meeting

1:30 p.m. Auction

3:30 p.m. Adjourn

DIRECTIONS

To Van Twist Garden:  From the north: Take I-405 south, exit Golden West; right on Golden West to Bolsa;

From the south: Take I-405 north, exit Golden West ramp which will take you right onto Bolsa, continue west on Bolsa;

Common directions: right on Bolsa; left on Capetown Lane; left on Dover Drive; right on Kingston Lane; Garden is located at 15102 Kingston Lane. Garden phone number is (714) 894-2191.

To Boyer Garden: Exit the Van Twist Garden, retrace to Bolsa, then to 405; drive I-405 south exit at Brookhurst south, take Brookhurst to Victoria/Hamilton; right on Hamilton; left on St. John Lane; right on Clearbrook Lane; right on Archer Circle, garden is at 21551 Archer Circle. Garden phone number is (714) 655-6168.

Participate in the potluck. While we provide a protein, you can provide something you like! Whatever it may be; grandma’s goulash, uncle’s eggrolls, or your own salad, if you like it, we will too, so bring it! We don’t care if you make it or buy it. All donations to the potluck are appreciated.

Participate in the auction. Donors can give 100% or 50% (and keep 50%) of the selling price of auction plants. Palm-themed objects d’art are also welcomed. The best auction plants are rare palms in 1 to 7 gallon sizes, though we’ll do bigger ones if you want. We also appreciate small plants for the raffle. (Please, no Washingtonia, Phoenix canariensis, Sabals, etc.) We try to get each plant to sell for a minimum of $20 if possible.

Thanks so much for your support!

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

So sorry about the distracting variety of fonts

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

So, who's coming?

Represent!

Here's a picture of the Van Twists' back yard. Looks like a really nice Kentiopsis oliviformis to the right.

5addddaaaf84b_VanTwistPalmyardback.thumb

• Upvote 4

Planning/hoping on being there... :D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2018‎ ‎9‎:‎20‎:‎55‎, DoomsDave said:

Here's a picture of the Van Twists' back yard. Looks like a really nice Kentiopsis oliviformis to the right.

5addddaaaf84b_VanTwistPalmyardback.thumb

Attack Kitty of Doom? :huh:

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

4 minutes ago, Moose said:

Attack Kitty of Doom? :huh:

My fierce guard cats all lurk within the house, to frighten off the coyotes that might break and enter . . . .

I'm on call, but will see if I can sneak up..

• Like 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018‎ ‎10‎:‎58‎:‎18‎, BS Man about Palms said:

I'm on call, but will see if I can sneak up..

Missing the Ranch Hand Bonanza? :huh:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B