floridanewbie

Are we doing something wrong or is this normal transplant shock?

floridanewbie

Hi! First post on here :) My husband purchased and planted this sylvester last week. If I recall correctly, when just bought, a couple of its fronds were brownish. Initially we planted it too deep but amended that (we have a small tractor so we've been able to do the work ourselves.) Now we're concerned that she's (i affectionately refer to her as "Greeny") not getting enough water/is planted incorrectly. Can anybody take a look and tell me what they think? I know transplant shock is common, but we really want to do the best we can to minimize it. Location is Central Florida, south of Orlando. Also, on the picture it may seem like the root ball is entirely underground, but we made sure it's at least 2 inches above ground (per our research, hopefully this is correct!) The rootball is irregular in shape so it's difficult to gauge accurately.  Here are the pictures: https://imgur.com/a/nsJK9

Thank you for any input! :D 

• Upvote 1

kinzyjr

Welcome to the forum!  How often do you water it?

• Upvote 1

floridanewbie

Thank you! We're watering it every day. We have a few micro sprayers and leave it on for about an hour or two but not sure if we're getting the right coverage. It's difficult to measure how much water exactly it's getting. :( I try to go by feel and make sure the top of the root ball is not dry though. I wish i could be more accurate!

kinzyjr

I don't think water is the issue; might even be too much water for a phoenix.  The planting height should be fine as well, judging from the pictures.  Looks like some general transplant shock to me.  Try taking a few days off the water, especially now that we'll have 2 cool days in a row.  The big thing to watch is the spear.  If it is growing, then it should grow out of any kind of transplant shock it has/had.  If you're not sure, you can mark the spear with a magic marker and then mark another frond close by at the same level.  If the mark on the spear is moving up from where it was, the palm establish itself.

• Upvote 1

floridanewbie

Oh wow i would've never thought of that. We were told to water it at "open hose" for about 5 min every day for a week! Will try your suggestion out. Is there any signs i should be looking out for that indicate she's really not doing well? I feel so silly for getting so attached to a plant but we've never had anything nice like that before! Thank you :):) 

kinzyjr

It's totally understandable to get attached.  On this forum, it is almost expected. ;)

If the fronds continue to turn brown/grey, then you might have an issue with one of several diseases that are active along the I-4 corridor (Texas Phoenix Palm Decline, Fusarium Wilt), but let's stay positive and treat it as transplant shock. :)  I have a yard full of phoenix species (phoenix dactylifera, phoenix roebelenii, and phoenix theophrasti)  When I planted them originally, they I would soak the planting hole place the root ball in the hole either even or slightly lower, fill the hole in, and then water deeply.  After that, I'll confess that I rarely water them.  The most attention they get is their annual dose of magnesium in the form of epsom salts mixed with some watered down fertilizer to keep the older fronds from yellowing.  You can see some of them here: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/52296-palms-and-others-of-interest/

• Upvote 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Palmela
      By Palmela
      The post you are about to read might upset you, especially if you only look at the picture and do not read the reasons for such action. I understand I could be criticized for “destroying” these beautiful plants but I believe I had no other choice to save them, believe me I felt so horrible doing it. I could either make up excuse and hide the story to myself or actually share it with everyone to profit the knowledge of palms in cultivation.
      Here is what happened at the Botanic Gardens.
      A failure in a 20 000V cable that delivers power to a large number of buildings occurred over a week end. The power company obviously didn’t waste time to fix it and dug an open trench in the middle of the night to find the cable… located under the irrigation line. I just let you imagine the clean up after this!
      Parajubaea cocoides:
      The ground being damaged by the digging I decided to remove a Parajubaea cocoides that is not hardy enough for the Botanic Gardens.
      The palm is growing but showing frost damage every year when temperature drop around -2 dgr Celsius, a touch more tender than our native Nikau. The Parajubaea was planted at the lower part of a bank and we couldn’t use our loader to shift it. I had to severely prune the root system with a spade to make the palm light enough so it could be moved (it was still SO HEAVY!). I later cleaned the cuts using secators and also removed a large quantity of fronds to balance the amount of roots vs foliage. The transplantation was done in the growing season(summer), I used cactus free draining potting mix to repot it and a small container compare to the palm’s size to avoid water excess. I gave it some seasol and watered it every 2-3 days for a month. The palm is doing well and has even started growing again. I will relocate it to a better location in the future, probably one of the warmer parks in the city.

Dypsis decipiens:
      In the same location I have been trying to grow a Dypsis decipiens that was given to us. I find this palm so beautiful and would love the Botanic Gardens to surprise the public with a mature trunking specimen…one day. I’m aware of someone that has been growing one with success for several years in Christchurch. The palm at the Botanic Gardens suddenly started to turn yellow-brown in the summer and from previous failure with Dypsis decipiens I knew I had to act quickly. I was very surprised as the location was warm and free draining(I even added stones for drainage and heat)….maybe too dry though… or maybe the palm got flooded when the company came to fix the electric cable and damaged the irrigation line at night??? I decided to remove the palm in order to save it, the problem is that it came in a large container bag and at the time it was easy to drop it in thinking we wouldn’t have to pick it up later on! To make the transplantation possible in term of weight, I had to reduce the root ball to a smaller volume than the container bag it came in…scary thought but no choice! Guess what we found once the palm was out??? A piece of the old nursery container bag when the palm was smaller and located just under the bulb of the palm…full of smelly water!!!! The bulb appeared to be rotting a bit on the outside layer but still felt firm underneath. I repotted it using an Air-pot, free draining cactus potting mix, gave it some seasol, placed it in our shade house and only water the outside of the root ball(not the crown). 8 weeks later the Dypsis is doing Ok, its not growing but it’s not going back either…just hoping its busy producing new roots.
      I believe most palms can be shifted easy as long as you proceed in the growing season(summer) and you make sure you provide better conditions that they were growing in(moisture of soil/air-nutrients-temperature of soil/air).
      I hope you appreciate these feedbacks and that it can help others.

• GeorgeT1985
      By GeorgeT1985
      Hello everyone,
      My name's George and I live in Queensland Australia. I'm originally from the UK so have little experience with Palm trees and would love your advice regarding an issue I'm currently having with an established Pindo / Jelly palm in my Garden (photo 1). I believe it's 10+ years old.
      I recently completed removing the existing plants and replanting under this palm with a series of fan palms and Cordylines. I've found it's normal for this Palms tips to brown slightly as shown in photo 2 (I'm assuming when it's not had enough water). However after completing my planting a few days later I noticed on several branches entire leaves turning yellow from where they join the branches and dying.
      I assume I have disturbed it's roots too significantly so removed the affected branches as well as some other older ones as I would with a transplanted palm so it had less to sustain. I've also fertiliser and regularly watered the palm to try and encourage new root growth. This proved successful in stopping the damage to leaves at the base of the branches, however rather than the brown tips at the edge of some of the branches they are turning black as shown in photo 3. This issue seems to be limited to a few of the older branches. The issue is occurring daily but only to older branches and thankfully the higher branches atleast at present seem unaffected.
      I would really appreciate some advice. Am I best removing further branches as this is a sign it still cannot sustain itself? Do I leave well alone and hope it will over time be able to sustain itself again. What I'm really concerned with is that the black may be from over watering rather than under watering and that I may actually be killing it with kindness? I have been removing the black affected areas so I can track if the problem is persisting. The photo shows about 1 days impact.
      Many thanks
      George

• The7thLegend
      By The7thLegend
      If you live in North Florida or even somewhat close by, Suwannee River Palms of Jasper has a great deal on specimen Sylvester Palms - any size - $300.  I came across this deal on eBay market place.  I wasn't sure they were still around but thinking I might add one to my landscape.   Just thought I'd share.
      https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2124455604331556/?ref=feed_rhc
      Phoenix Sylvester Palm Trees for sale in Jasper on Facebook Marketplace

Palm Tree SALE!!!! LIMITED TIME ONLY!!!!!Phoenix Sylvester Palm Trees STRAIGHT OUTTA THE PALMTREE PATCH!!!! Any size palm you bring your own trailer and we will dig it and wrap it and then load it for you $300.00 Cheapest Palms out there call Curtis at [hidden information] OR Brandi @ [hidden information] to set a appointment for a tour on the palm tree patch and pick out the palm you want BRING YOUR OWN TRAILER NO DELIVERY OR INSTALLATION IS AVAILABLE

• kinzyjr
      By kinzyjr
      There are some labeled plantings around Lake Wire.  The plantings contain some nice gems as well as some old favorites.  The plantings are labeled accurately for the most part, making it an experience more like you would expect at a botanical garden than a stroll down the sidewalk.  If there are incorrect labels, please point them out as I went by the label nearest to the plant for the most part.
      Syagrus coronata

A close-up of one of the labels.  Looks like someone was snacking on Syagrus fruits nearby.

Allagoptera arenaria (as noted in the label above - next two pictures)

The next three are various Mule palms:

The double-headed Butia I shared earlier in the Remarkable Palms of Tampa Bay thread.  One of the heads looks like it is on the way out.

Beccariophoenix alfredii in the next two photos

The Queen Palm fruit that seems to be a favorite of one of the homeless folks walking in the area.

Dypsis lutescens

The next two are some very long term Dypsis decaryi

• kinzyjr
      By kinzyjr
      This post is from a local park that includes a walking path, some tennis courts and a playground for the youngsters.  It includes some marginal palm plantings, cycads and creative landscaping that takes full advantage of the steep hills in the area.
      The playground entrance:

Some of the experimental palm plantings, including a Licuala, Coccothrinax crinita and a few other local favorites like Dypsis decaryi:

Walking up the hill around the outside of the park, you can get some sense for the natural grade of the land and a nice view of the cycads on the border:

Palm companions like crotons and bromeliads are represented as well and add color: