IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tracy

In that many of us palm lovers have extensive collections of Madagascar native palms, it seemed appropriate to add this orchid to the garden in that it too is native to Madagascar.  It is the first of this genus that I am growing let alone this species.  Will be interesting to see how it performs.  The recommended light from the grower was "bright", but I see information that this species grows in full light at high elevations ( up to 1500-2,000 meters) in habitat.  Anyone else have experience with this species or the genus in general?  If you have photos, please share, particularly of any flowers.

20180415-104A9122.jpg

• Upvote 4

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Since I left off the name except in the keywords....

Angraecum sororium

20180415-104A9120.jpg

• Upvote 3

I have the closely related Angraecum sesquipedale, but it's a hot growing lowland species whereas the A. sororium is a high altitude plant which needs cooler temperatures and high humidity. It might not cope well outside during your hot dry times.

"Found in central Madagascar in and among rocks in full sun tempered by mist and clouds at elevations of 1600 to 2200 metres as a large sized, cool to cold growing lithophyte ...."

On 4/16/2018, 3:52:13, tropicbreeze said:

It might not cope well outside during your hot dry times.

Thank you for the feedback.  I think I will be ok, as I'm very close to the ocean which moderates the summer daytime highs significantly.  The grower I acquired this from has an extremely large specimen which he has been growing for a long time, and he is in the same climate about a little over a mile (2 km) away from my house.  I also get much more humidity being near the coast than just a mile or so further inland, and the damaging effects of our Santa Ana winds are moderated significantly and shorter in duration due to the proximity to the ocean.

That's good, it sounds more promising if you have a local growing it successfully. They take ages to mature to flowering point, apparently 5 - 6 years but don't know how much that varies between species. Mine's much smaller than yours, I've only had it since last September when I got it as a tiny plant. It's mounted on a tree and growing very slowly. The native habitat for mine is coastal north east Madagascar. I'm a bit in from the north west coast at around the same latitude. The native habitat has dry season winds coming from the south east across the ocean. I have dry season winds coming from the south east across desert. But, I've got my fingers crossed, we're coming into the dry season shortly.

I have tried a few Malagasy orchids but can’t get them established. Just lost a nice one this winter. But I have been getting them small. That is a really good sized one. Where did you get it? 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

On 4/18/2018, 12:35:38, LJG said:

I have tried a few Malagasy orchids but can’t get them established. Just lost a nice one this winter. But I have been getting them small. That is a really good sized one. Where did you get it? 

Looks like the tag says Andy's Orchids ^_^

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

24 minutes ago, Missi said:

Looks like the tag says Andy's Orchids ^_^

Good eye :) they will be at a plant show I’m going to Thursday. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

On 4/23/2018, 2:06:41, LJG said:

Good eye :) they will be at a plant show I’m going to Thursday. 

Andy just had his Spring open house, so I picked it up during that event.  If you have never been to one of his open house events, I would highly recommend it.  If he doesn't have what you want at the show you attend, you can always schedule an appointment to visit the nursery.  His next open house weekend isn't until summer. 

• Upvote 1