Sign in to follow this  
kinzyjr

Possible spear jam on Archontophoenix Alexandrae

kinzyjr

I commented on a few other threads that my archontophoenix alexandrae looked fine after our 28F advective freeze in January.  Some leaf tip burn, but overall healthy.  About a month later, I noticed the spear starting to get brown streaks and gave it a tug.  There was some movement, so I gave it a sharper tug and it came out with the entire bottom being brown and mushy.  I peroxided the hole, and it bubbled profusely.  The next day, I sprayed the hole full of copper fungicide.  One side of the crownshaft had a brown streak on it, probably from cold/wind damage.  At this point, that brown streak is splitting from a bulge in the crownshaft. 

Surgery necessary on this one to clear a jam?

Anyone have any input? 

20180415_084000_ArchontophoenixAlexandrae.jpg

Palmsbro

Can you peel it back and see without damaging the palm (the living parts I mean)?

kinzyjr

@Palmsbro I could probably peel the frond to the right off without too much tissue damage using my trusty light saber, but I have a feeling the only way I'll find resolution on this issue is just to bite the bullet and perform the surgery.  As it stands, the palm will not live if I don't figure out a way to get it to move a spear after the spear pull, so if I lose it then it was lost anyways.  If it goes, I'll probably put a phoenix theophrasti there in its place. 

• Upvote 1

kinzyjr

Post-surgical picture:

20180415_193900_Archontophoenix_surgery.jpg

• Upvote 1

Palmsbro
51 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Post-surgical picture:

20180415_193900_Archontophoenix_surgery.jpg

I hope that it lives. That center (the top part) doesn't look very well-off.

MattyB

Cut it down to fresh white meat and hit it with hydrogen peroxide.  You should be able to tell if it's growing within a few hours.

• Upvote 1

RedRabbit

Good luck man, it would be a shame to lose it. I really like the look of Archontophoenix but I've repeatedly struck out with them. They don't seem to be a good match for the climate here. 

kinzyjr
1 hour ago, MattyB said:

Cut it down to fresh white meat and hit it with hydrogen peroxide.  You should be able to tell if it's growing within a few hours.

Thank you, @MattyB.  I'll finish cutting and disinfecting tomorrow.  With the rain moving through, the mosquitoes are taking no prisoners tonight.

3 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

Good luck man, it would be a shame to lose it. I really like the look of Archontophoenix but I've repeatedly struck out with them. They don't seem to be a good match for the climate here. 

Thanks man!  If it doesn't, I'll probably just replace it with one of my phoenix theophrasti.  I was very surprised that it started declining after it showed relatively little damage for that nasty freeze, but I knew right away what had happened when the spear started to get a brown streak in it.  Time will tell, and I'll keep this updated.

• Upvote 1

DoomsDave

Whoa 

Radical surgery

kinzyjr

As a closer to the thread, I did trim what was left of the palm down, but anything I trimmed was brown.  I decided to cut my effort and my losses dig it out.  Put one of my phoenix theophrasti in the hole and filled it in.  I appreciate the guidance from @MattyB and the well wishes and comments.

• Upvote 1

GottmitAlex

Best of luck Kinzyjr. I think you got this 

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      Hello, I looked up information about Archontophoenix cunninghamiana recently and I saw a lot of sites calling it the King Palm, yet, I thought Archontophoenix alexandrae was the King Palm? How do I tell these two palms apart and what's different about them? I am wanting to some day get a Archontophoenix cunninghamiana, but I'm afraid I'll get something else or a hybrid. 
    • newtopalmsMD
      By newtopalmsMD
      The first picture shows the newest spear on one of two pups on my needle palm suddenly is no longer green.  I pulled on it and it slip up about an inch or two.  The second picture shows the some of the leaves of the main plant and the other pup are still green.  What should I do.  I planted this in April (main plant and two pups all in the same 15 ish gallon pot) and all three plants produced new spears during the summer.  Two weeks ago I I put down a little fertilizer that I had used twice before in the growing season (mid autumn fertilizer for needles in this zone is supposed to be helpful) added a couple of inches of black hardwood mulch around the plant being careful not to cover the crown.  (Though I can't keep the leaves off it. )  There is a tip of a new spear and is also this pale blue color.  I live near Olney, MD z7a.,  We have had two light frosts (not enough to kill my musha basjoo nor any of my alocasia or colcasia.  So now what should I do?   Do I pull this spear all the way out and also pull the tip of the newest spear?  I have a liquid copper fungicide with copper Octanoate .08%.  Do I spray the crown with that? Or is there a better fungicide to use?   Advice is greatly appreciated!  Thanks  

• Jdical
      By Jdical
      Hi all this is my first post and I am in the Kill Devil Hills Area of OBX, NC. I have a few Sabal palms on my property and I recently planted 2 new 18 ft's last summer that rooted really well however I did not wrap them given the previous mild summer. So, of course, we had a terrible winter and all of my Sabals got some cold damage. Of the 2 I planted last year one is doing pretty good and has some really good growth and tight spears shooting through. The other has developed a soft trunk to about an inch in certain spots but is growing a nice spear but just incredibly slowly. I did dig around the palm and noticed that that around 18 inches it had solid roots that were alive and had grown significantly since I planted it. I cut off a lot of the brown fronds so it doesnt have a ton of nutrients getting to it. I included 2 pictures from June 11 and July 19. Any suggestions for further treatment beyond Copper Fungicide (I did treate it already)? Also, can these palms bounce back? Many thanks as this is my first post and I'm a recent memeber.  

• limoncik
      By limoncik
      Today I notice a strange outgrowth from his Archontophoenix alexandrae. Is he going to blossom? Growing in a container of 12 litres, the age of 5 years. How often this type blooms in containers?

• Advective
      By Advective
      B. Odorata in the ground for two years. About 5.5ft tall.
      The plant saw lows this winter of 12ºF and 14-15ºF twice. A few days ago I noticed some of the newest growth had died but it didn't alarm me at the time because the same had happened to the S. Mexicana.
      When I took a closer look today, I noticed the new growth was dead all the way down to the base, in stark contrast to the Sabal. I gave a tug and the two newest fronds came out:

Leaving this bottomless pit:

Is there anything I can attempt like Hydrogen Peroxide or the partial beheading surgery? Does this look like damage induced by cold temperatures or cold rain? It saw no ice or snow this winter as I wrapped it for those events but it did see cold rain.
      This comes as a total shock as the plant otherwise took minimal damage