IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Windmill, should I be concerned?

Mightycanes

After seeing many up-close pictures of Trachycarpus fortunei trunks, yours looks fine/normal. However, if there is signs of something wrong in the leaves, then there may be cause for concern.

Leaves seemed fine to me.  I’ll double check it tomorrow but it’s flowering right now so that should stand for something.

Looks fine. Over time the bottom fibers will naturally decay and fall off leaving a hairless trunk. 

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

Looks like an animal may have rubbed it off.  Dogs, cats and squirrels love to do that.

I do have some idiot squirrels, they like to dig holes everywhere.  Used to be 1 now it’s line 3-5.  So that could be them.

I have experienced some of that when the irrigation is spraying the trunk daily. I dont know if thats a possibility.

My cat keeps climbing my windmill palm,is there any safe way to stop him doing it,he wraps his paws around the trunk digging claws in.

Spray the cat with a water hose every time it climbs up there. A few showers and it'll climb something else.

Squirrels like to rip the chest hair off for their nests. I hate them. 

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

Makes sense on the squirrels usage.  I’m gonna have to pop a few of them and send them to the Palm Gods, lol.