IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Northeast/Mid Atlantic Palm Discussion

Nj Palms

Hey all I created this forum for people in the Northeast/Mid Atlantic to discuss and banter about palms in our region!Post any sightings in stores or your own.Any interesting things about palms is also accepted, and of course any questions or concerns are more than welcome to be posted on this sub forum!Thanks for all the information you guys provide.

• Upvote 1

Here’s my Needle and my Trachy 3 weeks ago after a snowstorm.

uRrqDeM.jpg

7VCzHz7.jpg

I got my Needle at a nursery last June, and my Trachy came from a seed I found under a Trachy in Busch Gardens Williamsburg in 2012.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, cm05 said:

Here’s my Needle and my Trachy 3 weeks ago after a snowstorm.

uRrqDeM.jpg

7VCzHz7.jpg

I got my Needle at a nursery last June, and my Trachy came from a seed I found under a Trachy in Busch Gardens Williamsburg in 2012.

Doh!  No pictures!

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

https://www.flickr.com/gp/121035296@N06/N8W3LW

https://www.flickr.com/gp/121035296@N06/4r9879

https://www.flickr.com/gp/121035296@N06/9qxwzC

Here is my 6 year old Trachy after the brutal January freeze. Uncovered last week. It's still alive with hardly any heat, just a plastic wrap. Ugly, but it will be OK.

I also grow Musa Basjo Bannana. No cold will ever kill these. Believe me, I protect them every year with a hay cover, but 2 years ago during the polar plunge, I did not cover at all, and they came back!! One grove I never cover, Ever!!, and they still grow back.

Prospect Park, PA Zone 7b.

Edited by Oldmagoo

Big Palm do you have any pics with covering I just want to get some ideas of some coverings without heat if I get a windmill.What I was thinking was a double layer maybe a greenhouse structure made of pvc covered with plastic so that could be the green house then just a regular burlap unseated wrap think it will do definitely will help on sunny days.Even in the winter my tiny greenhouse reaches atleast 80.

I have a Windmill I did not protect at all and it looks like Oldmagoo's right now, just smaller. We had a ultimate low of 7 degrees F here. 

PalmTreeDude

In 6 years, I've never had my palm look like this. 

Also, check out islandwidepalms, they have great videos on protecting palms in NJ. 

Depending on how far it is out of the way, next time we go up to hell...err i mean the northeast(just kidding lol) might stop by island wide palms and grab a smaller of his bigger ones. Seems like a really cool dude!

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

I got my waggie palms from a grower in FL and my sabal minors from  nursery in  NC. The waggie spent its first winter in the ground this year and is doing well but I had a greenhouse with lights and a thermacube keeping it warm. The sabals got put in this week so I will report how they do.

Edited by lower slower
named vendors

Pm @TexasColdHardyPalms strong cold hardy genetics and even with shipping one of the better priced. Otherwise you can gamble with big box like I did for some. Island seems to get good specimens too.

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

My two Sabal Minor Dallas I have two other ones the same size as th other big one.I will put them in bigger pots I think I will plant them next spring depending on how big they get.What do you guys think I should do?I also have a decent size trachy Bulgaria coming Monday.I will post pics of it!

IMG_2058.JPG

Edited by Nj Palms
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Nj Palms said:

On 4/13/2018, 8:51:02, lower slower said:

I got my waggie palms from a grower in FL and my sabal minors from  nursery in  NC. The waggie spent its first winter in the ground this year and is doing well but I had a greenhouse with lights and a thermacube keeping it warm. The sabals got put in this week so I will report how they do.

Btw how are the Sabals lower slower? 

They seem good I would like to see the temps come up for them to get a better start growing alttle faster but all is well so far.I know they are very slow growers so got to be patient.

Has anyone tried silver saw palmetto.Also how do you get windmill palms to flower.I have one Bulgarian trachy how do I tell gender, also any temp requirements?

Here in SE Pennsylvania, my trachy flowered after year 4. Flowers every year in late May. I think it's a female, small yellow ball flowers. 

Have you gotten seeds, do you have to have both genders,also what is the lowest temp it has seen.

No seeds, just fluorescence. Lowest was about 2 f in January. See my post above with picture links. Got beaten bad this year. 

Can a female or male produce seeds themselves.Btw I have the Bulgarian trachy way more hardiness.The record for survivin was -17fahrenheit in Bulgaria and it barely had damage.Mine will just laugh at the cold here lol.

Anyone see any signs of flowering yet? I see a flower stalk pushing out on my Needle, I don’t know when they normally flower but it just seems a bit early.

Also, do Needles need both male/female to produce seeds? I only have one and I don’t know the gender.

Edited by cm05

45 minutes ago, cm05 said:

Anyone see any signs of flowering yet? I see a flower stalk pushing out on my Needle, I don’t know when they normally flower but it just seems a bit early.

Also, do Needles need both male/female to produce seeds? I only have one and I don’t know the gender.

I am pretty sure that both sexes are needed for seed production.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Palmsbro said:

I am pretty sure that both sexes are needed for seed production.

Well that sucks. But at least I’ll know if it’s male or female, maybe one day I’ll get seed from it.

Wow!Did you find those? I will probably check tommorow at hd hoping to get a Rhapiphyllum Hystrix(needle palm) and maybe Chamerops Humilis(Mediterranean Fan Palm).Any one try chamerops if so share your experience and hardiness!

Found today at HD. No other Hardie palms but the trachys. Their small ones, but I've seen 5 gal in the past years. I'll ask if they can get bigger ones. Keep your eyes open and post what you all see out there! Enjoy! 

Trachycarpus, Butia Capitata, and Chamaerops Humilis in both ~3 and ~6 gallon at HD in Annapolis, MD

They also had some overpriced roebelenii, adonidia, and large majesty. 

IMG_1416.JPG

IMG_1415.JPG

• Upvote 3

Nothing at the hd in forked river nj.Maybe they didn't get the shipment in yet?Also nothing at walmart anyone ever see anything at walmart?

Na, never at any walmarts near Philly. I'll check Delaware HD too. Happy hunting! 

13 hours ago, Nj Palms said:

Tons of majesty's 

What's up with the majesty's?  Why do they sell so many around here and hardly any other plams?  Even grocery stores have them in the winter!

They are easy to grow and have the tropical look people want that's probably why but if they sold cold hardy palms like they do majesty's I would have a whole jungle lol.Its crazy that they sell them in the winter too.

I love Majesty’s, especially the massive ones they sell at Lowe’s and Walmart. Mine died in March, no plans to replace it this year.

My coconut is outpacing my other palms so far in this warmth, my Trachy isn’t far behind, but everything else is still crawling. My Needle seems to be putting more energy into offsetting (just discovered another one) and flowering than frond growth.

Any other sightings? Also how much hardier is trachycharpus Bulgaria.How should I protect it not this winter but the next.