IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Anyone Live In Central Or South Nj Seen Hardy Palms at any stores

Nj Palms

Anyone Live In Central Or South Nj Seen Hardy Palms at any stores? Any help appreciated!

Howdy!   I left NJ 14 years ago for Arizona where palms grow a bit easier.  For a protected spot in NJ maybe you could try one of the Trachycarpus family?  I think that or the Needle Palm might work.  Good luck!

Sabal minor might also work and is available in many variations, including uber dwarfs. If you can't find any palms in your local garden centers you will have to resort to the internet. We have IPS member nurseries here on PT. @TexasColdHardyPalms is a good place to start. He may have all the palms you are looking for and more. He can also steer you toward palms that have a reasonable chance of surviving a NJ winter.

Welcome to PalmTalk.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I've shipped about 30 plants to NJ & NY in the last 45 days. Its what we do. 

Best bet for sabal minor or needles is @TexasColdHardyPalms. You might get lucky at home depot, but they only sell trachycarpus, chamaerops and livistona. Obviously majesty and all the other zone 9+ palms too. But the benefit of going through Texas is they are the better genetics versions. Meaning the ones he has have survived COLD events that would kill most in the genius. 

• Upvote 1

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

My advice remains the same from your other threads, and parallels the others above.  Get sabal minor and rhapidophyllum hystrix from @TexasColdHardyPalms, plant them in a protected site (south or south east side of your house) after the snowstorm(s), and protect them for a few years until they are established.  As @mdsonofthesouth mentioned, Tex has the north Texas variety of sabal minor.  This variety is either the same or close enough to Sabal Minor 'McCurtain' to be used in your area.  Pull the trigger and go for it.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I think I might try a windmill from Home Depot but cover it with burlap and some leaves at the base think it will survive or will a small unseated greenhouse be better?

The trachycarpus from home depot are great but expect some attrition. Mine saw 10 to 12f if I remember correctly and 5 out of 7 spear pulled. Put the trachycarpus in the most protected spot from north and western winds that gets good sun. 

As for protection there are many ways to do it just make sure you monitor the temperature inside as we got to the mid 70s one early morning and baked some of the fronds before I could get out. But they definitely need protection where you are. A warmer zone 7 like me is a grey area for them so your area will surely kill them unprotected.

Edited by mdsonofthesouth
  • Upvote 1

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

I have some 5G windmills that just went through 8F in a pot this winter without any protection.  All of the lesser plants perished and only the strongest survived. 

Thought windmills were hardy to -5 but probably won't even bother the low this year was the lowest past ten years -3 usually only gets down to -1 maybe once.

1 hour ago, Nj Palms said:

Thought windmills were hardy to -5 but probably won't even bother the low this year was the lowest past ten years -3 usually only gets down to -1 maybe once.

Not when they are small or in pots. 

None at lowes they barely have any plants yet been so cold but will finally war, up this week.

I’m not in Jersey, but I saw Windmills at Lowes here last summer, they started selling them in June, and they were overpriced ($80) for their size in my opinion, they were largely skipped over. On the other hand, I scored a large Pygmy Date Palm with like 3 feet of trunk for only $27 (a steal), those went quickly. I don’t know who prices these items.

314B9A35-D6D4-4F7E-A1A9-DCE70FF3F50D.jpeg

Edited by cm05

1 hour ago, Oldmagoo said:

What state and what Lowes? Thanks! Cm05

New York, I saw them at every Lowes I went to on Long Island.

Was just at Home Depot no windmills or other cold hardy palms The only palms they had were majesty's on sale for 12 bucks.I asked an employee if they get any windmill palms or any others.They didn't know what windmill palms were but they did say they didn't even finish getting the regular plants like veggies etc but they said they do get shipments of palms.Dont know what kind they are they said just check back in June or July is when things are in full season.Also if any wants a dwarf apple tree they were on sale for 25$ and were at least 7ft maybe 10ft tall and were fruiting great deal!

Usually livistona, trachycarpus and chamaerops come to HD around mid to late march here but still MIA sadly minus livistona. Might be late due to the unusually cold weather....at least I hope so.

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

Thanks for all the updates. If you all could, please list the HD or Lowes addrsses in the discussion  if you happen to see any cold hardy tropicals. We need a good network around PA, Nj, and Delaware! :) 

1 hour ago, Oldmagoo said:

Thanks for all the updates. If you all could, please list the HD or Lowes addrsses in the discussion  if you happen to see any cold hardy tropicals. We need a good network around PA, Nj, and Delaware! :) 

"IPS Members may not list items for sale from non-member third parties. When discussing new acquisitions, deals, or availability of palms/plants, please refrain from mentioning the names of Big Box stores, nurseries, or other outlets that are not IPS Members. Third parties will be permitted to mention the source, price, or availability of plants, seeds, or garden related products in the course of normal Forum discussions if directly acquired from or offered by IPS Members only. "

• Upvote 1