Sign in to follow this  
kinzyjr

Early Start to the Rainy Season?

kinzyjr

~0.5 inches yesterday and probably a little more than that today.  All of the new plantings are going to love this!  Same with the coconuts! :)

Tampa Scott

I was beginning to think today was going to be like yesterday and get very little rain. Late this afternoon the clouds opened pushed the total for today to 1.05". B)  

• Upvote 1

mdsonofthesouth

We are ranging from .3in to 1in per day the past week...

• Upvote 1

PalmatierMeg

It is now official according to our Fort Myers News-Press: Rainy season started 5/15/18

Or, rather, the NWS designated May 15 as the start to FL rainy season, as duly reported by our revered local rag and bullet paper sycophant. Used to be rainy season didn't get fully underway until June 15.

I hope NWS notified Mother Nature.

This year I concur with this assessment as rain has fallen since last weekend.

kinzyjr

I thought yesterday was going to break the streak of rainy days.  At ~11:30PM, the sky let loose and kept the streak alive.  Today there was no doubt about it.  ~1:00PM it started raining diagonally because of the wind.  The rain drops were as big as quarters.  Having this weather after planting a bunch of new stuff is definitely what the chiropractor ordered. :)

• Upvote 1

Palm crazy

Here I am having a drought for the last three weeks. Total for the month May so far, 0.04" No complaints yet.  

Edited by Palm crazy

mdsonofthesouth

The big days were tuesday at nearly 2in for the day and tomorrow will be 1.5in with everything before tue and in between being around .5+! No need to water my plants for a while lol.

kinzyjr

Another day of solid rainfall.  We've exceeded our average for rainfall in May in this week alone.  The plants are just loving this!

Almost 5 inches of rain recorded this week.

20180520000_LakelandRainfall.png

The averages recorded at my location from www.weather.com:

201805192350_LakelandAverages.png

• Upvote 1

PalmatierMeg

We got 3.8" of rain overnight. Much of the yard still has standing water even this late in the day (excess drains into the canal). The canal was up over the dock.

And it is raining again now.

• Upvote 1

Palmaceae

I had 3.5" of rain overnight and the entire back yard was flooded. The last few weeks I have received 17.78" and the ground is saturated, and that is impressive being it is all sand!

• Upvote 1

Moose

Let up here today. Looks like some drier air is heading our way.

PalmatierMeg

Cloudy day, not hot, but it is S-W-E-L-T-E-R-I-N-G out there. Absolutely calm winds - another deluge in the offing?

kinzyjr
4 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Cloudy day, not hot, but it is S-W-E-L-T-E-R-I-N-G out there. Absolutely calm winds - another deluge in the offing?

For us, there is a deluge in progress.

Moose
2 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

For us, there is a deluge in progress.

Got my fair share here too. B)

Anthony_B

Way to go egging on the rain, guys.  My normal rainfall in May is 4.5 inches.  This month, we are at just about 14.5 inches.  Insane deluges over the past couple weeks.

This kind of weather is what spreads disease, especially in vegetable gardens.  I need to spray like crazy for my tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and melons in this humidity, but the rain keeps washing everything away, making the efforts futile.  Come on, drought.  Drip irrigation cures the watering woes, and drought keeps the diseases away and the tomatoes from cracking.

kinzyjr

We might actually have a day without rain today.  It's been sunny and hot all day.  I thought we might break the streak yesterday, but we got rain around 8pm.  Only a 20% chance of rain today, so the streak may stop at 19 days.

mdsonofthesouth
On 5/31/2018, 11:04:08, Anthony_B said:

Way to go egging on the rain, guys.  My normal rainfall in May is 4.5 inches.  This month, we are at just about 14.5 inches.  Insane deluges over the past couple weeks.

This kind of weather is what spreads disease, especially in vegetable gardens.  I need to spray like crazy for my tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and melons in this humidity, but the rain keeps washing everything away, making the efforts futile.  Come on, drought.  Drip irrigation cures the watering woes, and drought keeps the diseases away and the tomatoes from cracking.

Our may average is around 4 to 5in for may as well depending on where in the state you are and we go nearly 10 for the month. My yard has a couple of fungus brown spots and some plants I'm legitimately worried about....but just like you a fungicide would be futile!

Having grown up on family farms I won't cheer drought, but would love just a few days without torrential rain...

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

Anthony_B

The last 4 or 5 days have been absolutely picturesque so I was able to spray before the weekend and again tonight.  My good old mix of neem, copper and baking soda.  Diseases are going to kick in soon.

PalmatierMeg

Got almost 3" overnight after nothing for 8 days. It's scorching out there.

AnTonY

Is there a way to solidly tell when a Florida rainy season has begun (like, with say, the monsoons in India)? Because it seems quite relative.

Edited by AnTonY

kinzyjr

The day when you live in the red spot on the radar map:

201806221130_LakelandRedSpot.png

kinzyjr
On 6/10/2018, 9:02:21, AnTonY said:

Is there a way to solidly tell when a Florida rainy season has begun (like, with say, the monsoons in India)? Because it seems quite relative.

Usually, they consider June 1st the official start of the rainy season here.  This year, it seems to have started between 2 and 4 weeks early in Central Florida, depending on location.