• Similar Content

• CoconutGambler352
      By CoconutGambler352
      Here are a few Sabals
      In person, The Sabal Palm in the first photo furthest to the right, was actually a VERY tinted Blue color, while the two Sabal closest to me, were the usual colors. 
      Photo 2 is the VERY Tinted Blue Sabal I mentioned. 
      Photo 3 is photo of a Original Sabal (Right side) and on the left hand Side is a Sabal (Causiarum?) Or maybe just a Hybrid? 
      Photos 4&5 are of the Sabal "Hybrid" Look at how HUGE the frond is, to my hand, and the Palm is ONLY about 3.5ft Total Trunk height. Pretty interesting and impressive to me! 

• xoRudy
      By xoRudy
      What type of Phoenix palm is this? I was thinking a hybrid between a Rupicola and Dactylifera.

Maricopa AZ

• UK_Palms
      By UK_Palms
      London's resident palm video guy, RH Grows, recently uploaded a video of a strange palm at Lincoln Inn Fields in central London.
      I'm not sure whether this is a regular CIDP, or some kind of CIDP hybrid? At first glance, it kind of looks like a Butia, but it's clearly a Phoenix of some sort. It almost looks like a Butia x CIDP hybrid, which is obviously impossible. The fronds and crown kind of have that Butia look, but it's clearly a Phoenix of some sort. Almost certainly CIDP, or hybridised with something like Dacty, Sylvestris, Rupicola etc.
      One thing to mention is that the palm is also grown in deep shade, which I believe could effect the frond size/length, but that would not explain the strange crown and slim trunk. Something just seems very different about it. For all I know it could just be a regular CIDP though. I don't know what other people think it is...?

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I have several hundred Open Pollinated ripe uncleaned seeds from several specimens of this hybrid Zamia for sale. Z. loddigesii comes from the Atlantic side of Mexico and is threatened by habitat loss. Z. pumila is the only native North American cycad and is known as "coontie". I received the mother plants in a compot of seedlings from a Palm Beach Palm and Cycad sale some years back. I also have picked up a number of other Zamia species over the years, so while I know what the mothers are, the fathers could be a number of species/hybrids. See details below:
      Zamia (loddigesii x pumila) x Zamia ???? OP Uncleaned Seeds: 25 @ $10.00 for the lot
                                                                                                               50 @ $15.00 for the lot
      For greater quantities: ask for quote
      Shipping = $6.00 for up to 100 seeds. If more seeds, ask.
      No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI
      Payment via Paypal. PM me if interested
      Photos

• utile
      By utile
      Several of the palms in my garden came from an expedition to find and study different Brahea species in Northern Mexico.
      The trip started in Calexico, California side attempting to sleep in my van with 103 degrees at midnight.  The next morning I picked up a Mexican train bound for Los Mochis with buddy Ed Green.  Don't ever do this!!!  It is hot as hell going across the desert on a slow train with no air conditioning.  They serve cold drinks in the daytime and when the air conditioner finally comes on at night they rent you blankets!
      Glad to leave Los Mochis we rented a car and headed north.  Somewhere near Alamo (a cute rustic town) we headed out to the hills in search of Brahea elegans.  After negotiating a small river in our rental car the locals guided us to our first B. elegans.  It looked terribly old (see image).  It was growing in the gravel banks of a seasonal creek or wash.  The roots were extremely exposed.  After a night of good rest we headed north toward a little town (it was barely that) called Nuri.  On the way we spotted the tree that I have since called Brahea sp. 'Nuri'.  Seeds were collected.  After seeing my plants grown from this tree and reflecting on the tree called "Nuri" (see image), I feel that it is simply a more robust form of Brahea aculeata.  The trunk was more massive like B. edulis and the inflorescences extended far beyond the crown.  No other palms were in this very open desert area.  Several miles up the road where the "town" of Nuri was located was an incredible colony of about 20 or so Brahea aculeata (see image).  Please note that one of the trees was very blue.  All of them had the classic slender trunks and semi-dwarf stature.  Seeds were collected then back to the city for our next day adventure finding the Santa Rosa Canyon where Brahea nitida survives.  We were very close to the Nogales Arizona boarder and headed back south on a gravel back road for several miles.  To the east of the road we finally spotted the canyon (see image).  It was a beautiful site with palms growing every where among enormous boulders with trunks up to 40 feet or more.  The canyon was extremely difficult to enter trying to climb these enormous rocks.  At the time none of the trees were with seed.  I was fortunate to find a few seedlings that I quickly put into my water bottle.  These babies are still with my garden today.  In my opinion Brahea nitida is one of the most beautiful of fan palms.  They have no thorns, grow fast and their leaves are round 360+ degrees with a glaucus underside.  It is my opinion that Brahea "Super Silver" is nothing but a blue nitida.
      One more trip that i would like to mention on this topic was one to Monterey, Mexico where I collected Brahea moorei growing on cliffs near what is called Las Grutas or the caves north of the city of Monterey (see images).