IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mo' Free Franken Brahea seeds

DoomsDave

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I'm intrigued if these are available again @DoomsDave

Same.  I have a couple of these seedlings that @Josue Diaz sent me as freebies, but after they were in the mail for about a month over the holidays, they don't look so hot.

6 minutes ago, Fallen Munk said:

Same.  I have a couple of these seedlings that @Josue Diaz sent me as freebies, but after they were in the mail for about a month over the holidays, they don't look so hot.

@GoatLockerGuns sent me some sprouted xmas palm seeds and my local post office held them for a couple weeks then delivered them on a 30° day. Hope they sprout lol 

23 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

@GoatLockerGuns sent me some sprouted xmas palm seeds and my local post office held them for a couple weeks then delivered them on a 30° day. Hope they sprout lol 

My seedlings were in the mail so long that they started composting.  The box smelled like an old lawnmower bag that got put away without emptying.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Fallen Munk said:

My seedlings were in the mail so long that they started composting.  The box smelled like an old lawnmower bag that got put away without emptying.

Mine showed up right before snowpacalypse. What's funny is I could have walked to San Antonio and back twice in the time it took for them to get here. They were still moist, just cold. 

11 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I'm intrigued if these are available again @DoomsDave

10 hours ago, Fallen Munk said:

Shoot me PMs.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

5 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Shoot me PMs.

Ooooo....does this mean the FrankenBraheApocalypse is on for 2021?  :D :D :D

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Merlyn said:

Ooooo....does this mean the FrankenBraheApocalypse is on for 2021?  :D :D :D

When does it ever STOP?

• Like 2

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 2/24/2021 at 10:26 AM, Marius said:

Franken Brahea seedlings about 2-3 months old. Looks like all seeds sprouted. 

0A47C67B-6D93-4AE5-A125-BF6C831126BA.jpeg

On 2/24/2021 at 10:27 AM, Marius said:

Thanks Dave 

You're so welcome!

I so look forward to seeing them tower over the High Veldt! And thrilling your neighbours . . . .

• Upvote 1

On 9/30/2019 at 7:08 PM, Chris Wilson said:

Franken Brahea seedlings 6 months old.

IMG_9981.JPG

Wow, those look great, better than mine!

On 1/10/2019 at 6:51 AM, Marius said:

I finally got my seeds. Thanks very much Dave. Going to soak them now

image.jpg

Hmm. October 1 to Jan of 2019, a bit of a while.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Hmm. October 1 to Jan of 2019, a bit of a while.

I guess it’s all part and parcel of living in Africa 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2018 at 11:58 PM, DoomsDave said:

Wow, it's Easter evening, and I sit, gazing at a HUGE amount of Brahea hybrid seeds, needing a home, and love.

Below is a picture of the parent. GORGEOUS, I think.(Pic below.) 10 M (30 feet) tall, 3.33 M (10 feet) across crown, about 2 - 3 feet (.6 - 1 M) across base of trunk (without leaf bases). This plant is awesome.

I've sent many seed before, and I'll send many more again. These will take heat, cold, and more water than most Braheas. What is not to love?

If you want seeds, FREE OF CHARGE send me a Private Message ("PM") with "Brahea seeds" in the topic, and your mailing address, and some seeds will be yours!

Happy (no, ECSTATIC) palm growing!

IMG_4675.thumb.JPG.ec3193d84bb9430e370cd

Hey Dave. I’m looking always for different Dypsis seeds/seedlings if you have or if not send me in the right direction to one who might. Thank you sir

On 4/1/2018 at 10:58 PM, DoomsDave said:

Wow, it's Easter evening, and I sit, gazing at a HUGE amount of Brahea hybrid seeds, needing a home, and love.

Below is a picture of the parent. GORGEOUS, I think.(Pic below.) 10 M (30 feet) tall, 3.33 M (10 feet) across crown, about 2 - 3 feet (.6 - 1 M) across base of trunk (without leaf bases). This plant is awesome.

I've sent many seed before, and I'll send many more again. These will take heat, cold, and more water than most Braheas. What is not to love?

If you want seeds, FREE OF CHARGE send me a Private Message ("PM") with "Brahea seeds" in the topic, and your mailing address, and some seeds will be yours!

Got the seeds today but the postal service did a number on the packages.  I'm pretty sure I lost some seeds.  Thanks anyways for your generosity.  I will plant the seeds immediately.

20210316_123648.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Reyes Vargas said:

Got the seeds today but the postal service did a number on the packages.  I'm pretty sure I lost some seeds.  Thanks anyways for your generosity.  I will plant the seeds immediately.

20210316_123648.jpg

The good thing is that the seeds are too hard to crush under normal conditions.:D

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Reyes Vargas said:

20210316_123648.jpg

Ouch

sorry to see but you’re only missing a couple seeds at most, maybe three

soak all of them then plant them in individual liners or use the baggie method but be careful to shift to individual pots before the roots develop much

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No luck for me so far.  Two germinated almost immediately so I planted them in individual pots.  Shortly after planting they just died.  No signs of movement on the rest.

Edited by Reyes Vargas

11 hours ago, Reyes Vargas said:

No luck for me so far.  Two germinated almost immediately so I planted them in individual pots.  Shortly after planting they just died.  No signs of movement on the rest.

Root rot? It might be too wet right now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, amh said:

Root rot? It might be too wet right now.

Yeah I think that's what it was.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Reyes Vargas said:

Yeah I think that's what it was.

I haven't had any germinate yet, but my temperatures rarely get above 85 lately.

On 5/31/2021 at 10:12 PM, Jtee said:

I would like some of these seeds I’d still available 

PM me your address.

On 4/1/2018 at 8:58 PM, DoomsDave said:

Not sure of you still have viable seeds?!?

But reading this post was a crack up! 

I live in northern CA. If you think this palm would survive and thrive in Zone 9b

out by the delta water ways, Ill take some seeds! 

EJ

6 hours ago, EJ;) said:

I live in northern CA. If you think this palm would survive and thrive in Zone 9b

EJ

Pm me for some seeds

• 3 weeks later...

question? could I use an egg incubator for seedlings? It controls the humidity and temp? plugs in? Just a thought? I have one I don't use anymore. The county said No more chickens!!!! but no one said NO more Palms!!!!

• Upvote 1

On 6/7/2021 at 1:13 PM, EJ;) said:

EJ

No worries - Brahea palm seeds hold their viability for years.  Should do great for you there in NorCal.  :greenthumb:  Dave's palm is awesome!

Jon Sunder

What would be a good temperature for germination?

I haven't had any germinate yet, but I am only getting high 80s at best lately.

13 hours ago, amh said:

What would be a good temperature for germination?

I haven't had any germinate yet, but I am only getting high 80s at best lately.

Mine germinated at about 85 using the baggie method.  Unfortunately when I potted them up they all died.  It was just too wet.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I should really take stock of these again.  I threw them in an oversized pot and forgot about them.  Now there's 3 or 4 of them throwing out half-meter strap leaves...

• Like 2

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

• 9 months later...

Woke up today and saw two seeds have germinated. It has been a hot spring, so finally I have germination.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Having great germination with all the heat this year. 

If there are still seeds available, my fellow Texans should consider these seeds while the heat persist.

On 7/6/2022 at 9:10 PM, amh said:

Having great germination with all the heat this year. 

If there are still seeds available, my fellow Texans should consider these seeds while the heat persist.

Any spare seedlings for sale? Thanks