IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mo' Free Franken Brahea seeds

DoomsDave

I've got more. So many more.

Send requests. You know the drill.

I've got some babies, too.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Everyone 

There’s plenty more for the asking 

so ask and yes shall receive 

or at least I’ll send....

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Send your requests, and I'll let them accumulate for a week, maybe two, depending on the level of interest, then send out envelopes to requesters all at once.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone want some more?

So far, I'm sending seeds to UK, Saudi Arabia, NC, NY, Belgium and Switzerland.

• Upvote 1

Today my first seed germinated :D

Thanks Dave.

The others (Archies, Coccothrinax) seem to fail.

Eckhard

• Upvote 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

On 11/2/2018, 8:47:11, jimmyt said:

You have been Notified   :D

AND EXPLETIVE TEXAS

• Upvote 1

On 11/2/2018, 8:49:42, DoomsDave said:

Anyone want some more?

So far, I'm sending seeds to UK, Saudi Arabia, NC, NY, Belgium and Switzerland.

I got skunked on the last batch.  Let me have another crack at it.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Just now, kinzyjr said:

I got skunked on the last batch.  Let me have another crack at it.

This here seed thang's a crapshoot.

Oh yeah.

Try try again and you'll be a winner if you get one to sprout. I've had spotty germ rates.

Scream at the dogs . . . .

• Upvote 1

Mailed out some envelopes yesterday.

Some to Texas, Florida, NY, UK, Suisse, and to two SAs: Saudi Arabia and South Africa!

Glad to share the palmy love. Recipients should have gotten a PM, if you didn't let me know so I can double check that I didn't leave you off the list by mistake.

Happy palm growing, and spread the gospel of Palmy Love!

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, jimmyt said:

Hey Dave,

Did you leave out the Texas expletive?  Dang it! :rant:

Best Wishes, jimmyt :innocent:

Texas is one big [expleteived][expletive]!

Expletive . . . .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I decided to try the “decapsulation method” discussed earlier in this thread. And wouldn’t you know it, 6 days later, we have an emerging root!!!!

3436C45E-81C8-42A4-8800-18D4E4AB8577.jpeg

• Upvote 6

• 3 weeks later...

i will be very glad to try fresh seeds as gift

if you want sent also to me:

george tsopozidis

the son kosmas matoulas

palio agioneri 57011

greece

• 2 weeks later...

Topic up and running for 10 months already. My Brahea armata are germinating from august 2018 and fastest has already 2 leaves. Hope there is possibility to receive some seeds of these

• 1 month later...

Seeds arrived safe and sound :lol: Thanks so much to the wish-fulfilling seedbox! Awsome Dave, keep rocking and posting

• Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 10:34 AM, Zifool said:

It's possible to have again seeds Dave ?? :wub:

I think Dave is intentionally ignoring this topic.  He's trying to avoid spreading around more seed, you know, to avoid the FrankenBaheApocalypse where they spread everywhere and take over the world after becoming sentient.  Either that, or I've been watching too many scifi movies.  :D

33 minutes ago, Merlyn2220 said:

I think Dave is intentionally ignoring this topic.  He's trying to avoid spreading around more seed, you know, to avoid the FrankenBaheApocalypse where they spread everywhere and take over the world after becoming sentient.  Either that, or I've been watching too many scifi movies.  :D

I sent a PM back in Dec.  Figured if another batch became available I'd get some going, save one for myself, and set the others free to take over S FL and start DoomsFrankenBraheaApocalypse from this corner of the country.

• Like 1

I think I'm out for the time being, but there's a big crop coming along, likely this summer.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NOT A TA said:

I sent a PM back in Dec.  Figured if another batch became available I'd get some going, save one for myself, and set the others free to take over S FL and start DoomsFrankenBraheaApocalypse from this corner of the country.

The Braheapocalypse is coming! Mua ha ha ha ha

• Like 2

EVERYONE

I'm out of Brahea hybrid seeds for now.

I'll advise in a new thread when they're available, and ask that you send me requests then.

13 hours ago, Chris Wilson said:

1 year later they all started germinating at the same time.

IMG_0948.JPG

Whoo hoo!

We're making a serious palm nut out of you!

Did you do the "scarification" method?

Might try that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Did you do the "scarification" method?

No, I just had them in a zip lock bag in soil.

A little update on our "Franken-Brahea" .  Seeds arrived in late November 2018.  We used the "scarification" method, and by 12/13/18, we had roots popping!  Around 1/2/19, the emerging palm broke through the surface saying, "Hello World"!  

These pictures were taken yesterday, 4/9/19.  Nice little palm seedlings, planted in 1gal containers.  Most have only two strap leaves, but a couple have three already.  Leaves have a blueish hue, similar to that of a Butia, and roots are wandering out of the bottom of the pots.  

I am curious to see how these will fair over the next 9 months, as the Central Florida climate will only get wetter and hotter...but for now, I am really excited about this hybrids growth!!!!

image1 (3).jpeg

image2 (3).jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Hi Brahea growers,

these are my Franken babies about a year later. They are definitely starting to show some silver! (The first one from the left is B. aculeata for comparison)

20190615_181444.thumb.jpg.360698f5f0a25b8aeabd52a04762e378.jpg

Regards

Ondra

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Ondra

Prague, Czech Republic

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_metric_