IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Perth coconut palm

sandgroper

1 hour ago, sandgroper said:

The little coconut gets no protection at all from the big one mate, it gets the same amount of wind, rain and sunshine as the big one. The little one was sold as a golden Malay dwarf, like the big one but it never looked the same to me. It is much slower growing but seems much tougher to me. I might see if I can get another one the same and plant it somewhere else in the yard.

I believe you. Same here: the green cocos are much hardier than the golden ones.

• Like 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

I’m thinking of you and your coconut mate with your high around 14C yesterday and nearly 50mm of rain overnight in Jandakot. Fine for Rhopalostylis but not a Cocos. 

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

On 7/21/2021 at 7:06 AM, Tyrone said:

I’m thinking of you and your coconut mate with your high around 14C yesterday and nearly 50mm of rain overnight in Jandakot. Fine for Rhopalostylis but not a Cocos. 

I don't have high hopes for its survival mate, I think this winter could be it's last. 

4 hours ago, sandgroper said:

I don't have high hopes for its survival mate, I think this winter could be it's last. 

You can still protect it. 

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

3 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

You can still protect it. 

I could protect the small one but that one is looking fine, the big one is just too big to do much with now. I did neglect it a fair bit over the past summer which wasn't the best thing I could have done, it didn't look too happy by the end of summer but sometimes life gets in the way and plants have to take a back seat. It might be come good, it's certainly very well established now, it's been in the ground for around 10 years now so we'll see.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, sandgroper said:

I know how that feels. My Perth coconut was left at our rental property and in the hands of the tenant. Then one visit, totally dead. Reticulation turned off in summer. 

Do you have a Beccariophoenix alfredii?

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

2 hours ago, Tyrone said:

I know how that feels. My Perth coconut was left at our rental property and in the hands of the tenant. Then one visit, totally dead. Reticulation turned off in summer. 

Do you have a Beccariophoenix alfredii?

No mate, I haven't got one of them yet but I might grab one if the big coconut dies. I'm really surprised at just how good the small one seems to handle winter, it's very slow growing but seems to take the winter weather quite well 

30 minutes ago, sandgroper said:

No mate, I haven't got one of them yet but I might grab one if the big coconut dies. I'm really surprised at just how good the small one seems to handle winter, it's very slow growing but seems to take the winter weather quite well 

If your coconut passes on I will give you a Beccariophoenix alfredii. You won’t need to protect it either and it can sit in the most exposed areas in your garden and still look fantastic. They’re so close to a Cocos in looks. I have 21 in the ground here and they perform fantastic. I’ve got some right now sitting in standing water in my peat clay soil and they just don’t care. Rain, hail, ice cold strong winds and they come through it all. In fact when we flooded a month ago some would have been sitting in 30cm high water and the smallest in the ground are only 60cm tall, so half submerged. Real tough palms. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tyrone said:

If your coconut passes on I will give you a Beccariophoenix alfredii. You won’t need to protect it either and it can sit in the most exposed areas in your garden and still look fantastic. They’re so close to a Cocos in looks. I have 21 in the ground here and they perform fantastic. I’ve got some right now sitting in standing water in my peat clay soil and they just don’t care. Rain, hail, ice cold strong winds and they come through it all. In fact when we flooded a month ago some would have been sitting in 30cm high water and the smallest in the ground are only 60cm tall, so half submerged. Real tough palms. 

Tyrone, that is a very generous offer, thanks very much mate! I'll let you know how the palm goes, very much appreciate the offer though mate.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I’ve been keeping an eye on the Perth weather all winter hoping for the best for the coconuts, but it’s been pretty chilly. Hoping they’ve pulled through. 

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2021 at 5:12 PM, Forest garden wanderer said:

Just drove south through Geraldton and can definitely confirm on the south side of town a couple of coconut palms with nuts on them 

I think there’s a decent fruiting one in Dongara. I’ve also seen a coconut in Jurien Bay. Too small to fruit though. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a query. I wish to ask something to individuals living in areas with cool but non freezing winters similar to the Southern Mediterranean and California. In your experiences and opinions what is the number one killer during winter for coconut palms in those non freezing temperatures? Cool wind or having the soil too wet? What is your best advice when it comes to long cool winter's and watering during such season? Thank you in advance for answers

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
On 4/21/2022 at 10:42 PM, Maltese coconut project said:

I have a query. I wish to ask something to individuals living in areas with cool but non freezing winters similar to the Southern Mediterranean and California. In your experiences and opinions what is the number one killer during winter for coconut palms in those non freezing temperatures? Cool wind or having the soil too wet? What is your best advice when it comes to long cool winter's and watering during such season? Thank you in advance for answers

Sorry for such a late reply to your query and hopefully you still are on Palmtalk. Definitely too wet in winter is a very quick death sentence for a coconut even in pure sand. I used to put a plastic collar around my coconut on the ground to prevent rain getting in. It was on a raised mound so the theory was the water would just run off to the surrounding soil. In spring I would remove it and water it like mad in summer. Cold winds aren’t good for a coconut. They will yellow or get bacteria spot but that wasn’t fatal. Too wet in winter definitely was fatal. 

• Like 3

Thanks kindly for your reply, I am still here and appreciate the advice, I am still in time, cool weather starts in December here. I will keep vigilant and remove underplates one month before cool season.. I also am giving potassium nitrate, calcium nitrate, magnesium sulfate to harden them pre winter. I will switch to npk 3-11-38+4 in November to cut back on Nitrogen to harden leaves as much as possible 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maltese coconut project said:

Thanks kindly for your reply, I am still here and appreciate the advice, I am still in time, cool weather starts in December here. I will keep vigilant and remove underplates one month before cool season.. I also am giving potassium nitrate, calcium nitrate, magnesium sulfate to harden them pre winter. I will switch to npk 3-11-38+4 in November to cut back on Nitrogen to harden leaves as much as possible 

Is it in a pot?

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2021 at 12:21 AM, sandgroper said:

Tyrone, that is a very generous offer, thanks very much mate! I'll let you know how the palm goes, very much appreciate the offer though mate.

how is little green coco? Info please

3 hours ago, Aleitalyyy said:

how is little green coco? Info please

I cut the big one down last year, I neglected them both due to a few family issues and the little one died of thirst and the big one almost did so I took it out. Sometimes family comes first and everything else pales to insignificance.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sandgroper said:

I cut the big one down last year, I neglected them both due to a few family issues and the little one died of thirst and the big one almost did so I took it out. Sometimes family comes first and everything else pales to insignificance.

Sad to see them go.

My offer of a Beccariophoenix alfredii still stands if you want. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

Sad to see them go.

My offer of a Beccariophoenix alfredii still stands if you want. 

Thanks Tyrone, that's very generous mate.

• Like 1