sandgroper

My Perth coconut palm

wrigjef
On 12/6/2019 at 10:01 PM, Tyrone said:

If you made a purpose built 15m tall atrium and enclosed the coconut in winter and grew it like an indoor plant during the cooler months then opened it up during summer then you would get it to fruit in Perth. Not many people have the money or space to do that though. It would be cool to design and build a house around a central atrium like that and put a Coconut and some lipstick palms in.

Tyrone has a great point about building an atrium or greenhouse around it in winter. 

I live in Phoenix, Arizona and have a Coco in the ground for over 3 years now.  7 years from a seed.  I kept in a pot for 4 years before planting.  

SandGroper,

Your Palm looks awesome, especially with the lack of protection. I think with minimal protection and a halogen lamp on it in cool nights It would fruit. You give me hope in AZ 

The second tree is my Baccariophoenix Alfredii which is a great alternative to the Coconut.  The one pictured was grown from a seed from a friend and is 5 years old.  So far they do great in Arizona.  This one is in my screened porch until it gets planted in spring next to the pool. 

C54FE043-36AC-40FF-B134-E80AB5A3FB9C.jpeg

1990926E-E2CF-4925-89E9-3A6A7C826B44.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

sandgroper
1 hour ago, wrigjef said:

Tyrone has a great point about building an atrium or greenhouse around it in winter. 

I live in Phoenix, Arizona and have a Coco in the ground for over 3 years now.  7 years from a seed.  I kept in a pot for 4 years before planting.  

SandGroper,

Your Palm looks awesome, especially with the lack of protection. I think with minimal protection and a halogen lamp on it in cool nights It would fruit. You give me hope in AZ 

The second tree is my Baccariophoenix Alfredii which is a great alternative to the Coconut.  The one pictured was grown from a seed from a friend and is 5 years old.  So far they do great in Arizona.  This one is in my screened porch until it gets planted in spring next to the pool. 

C54FE043-36AC-40FF-B134-E80AB5A3FB9C.jpeg

1990926E-E2CF-4925-89E9-3A6A7C826B44.jpeg

I protected my coconut with a plastic greenhouse over winter for as long as I could, it just grew too big to protect any longer. I still make an effort to do what I can but it is quite difficult now. It would be great have it fruit but I don't think it ever will although we live in hope! I'm very happy to have one growing but a fruiting one in Perth would be great, if it does ever happen Palmtalk will be the first to hear about it, I'll be a very excitable boy!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tyrone
6 hours ago, sandgroper said:

I protected my coconut with a plastic greenhouse over winter for as long as I could, it just grew too big to protect any longer. I still make an effort to do what I can but it is quite difficult now. It would be great have it fruit but I don't think it ever will although we live in hope! I'm very happy to have one growing but a fruiting one in Perth would be great, if it does ever happen Palmtalk will be the first to hear about it, I'll be a very excitable boy!

The way everything is getting warmer across the globe and in Perth you will be the first to succeed.

Myself I will be really chuffed to get a fruiting Beccariophoenix alfredii. They are my coconut alternative. However if I want to eat something with coconut flesh my Parajubaea fruit will be it (but I think I would feel bad eating them, and would rather see them growing) and if I find a way to make them grow fast maybe Jubaea fruit by the time I’m 80.

• Like 3

sandgroper
1 minute ago, Tyrone said:

The way everything is getting warmer across the globe and in Perth you will be the first to succeed.

Myself I will be really chuffed to get a fruiting Beccariophoenix alfredii. They are my coconut alternative. However if I want to eat something with coconut flesh my Parajubaea fruit will be it (but I think I would feel bad eating them, and would rather see them growing) and if I find a way to make them grow fast maybe Jubaea fruit by the time I’m 80.

Tyrone, if by some miracle my coconut ever does fruit I will drive down to Albany and we'll eat one together washed down by a few frothy's. I  read everything you ever wrote about your coconut over the past 6 odd years that I've been a member here and learnt a lot from your contributions so at the very least I owe you a coconut mate. I really have had a lot of fun playing around with growing one, I've worked out methods that seem to help but most of what I've been able to do is simply learning from yourself and others and just developing my own ideas from there. So thanks to you mate, you gave me hope that they can grow in Perth if you want one bad enough.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1