IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Perth coconut palm

sandgroper

It's only just started to come good, it looked pretty rough at the end of winter as it had virtually no protection this winter, it's just too big now. It tried opening a frond over winter which did eventually open but it looked pretty sad and droopy, it looks like it's going to open another now though so I think it will continue to grow. It finished up looking quite pake and yellow but it is starting to green up again. I'm at work right now but I'll try to post up a few pics when I get home this afternoon.

5 hours ago, sandgroper said:

It finished up looking quite pake and yellow but it is starting to green up again.

What's your thoughts on palm leaves greening again? I'm convinced that all the leaves on my queen palm are greening up again now we are having summerish sunlight and temps here. Some would say that once leaves have yellowed they never green up again (as in fronds that aren't ready to die already) but I think otherwise...

1 hour ago, sipalms said:

What's your thoughts on palm leaves greening again? I'm convinced that all the leaves on my queen palm are greening up again now we are having summerish sunlight and temps here. Some would say that once leaves have yellowed they never green up again (as in fronds that aren't ready to die already) but I think otherwise...

I completely agree with you, there may be a certain point of no return for them whereby they're just too far gone  but I'm absolutely convinced that a lot of the fronds on the coconut do green up again once the warmer weather arrives if they've not too badly yellowed. I've paid particulat attention to the coconut as its been my pet project so if anything looks different with it i tend to notice. I've started fertilizing again and regular watering since spring has sprung and it's beginning to perk up, here's hoping this battle may have been won!

Edited by sandgroper

I was quite impressed with the little one, it had no protection over winter as it's so close to the big one I didn't worry too much and it barely skipped a beat. I wondered whether it's success over winter could be because it is still drawing nutrients from the nut? Not sure but it's still alive and doesn't look too bad so I'm happy with that, we'll see how it goes, it's all fun.

I reckon your success with the coconut at that latitude relates directly to your username and the prevailing growing media in the Perth district.... SAND ! Despite the cool wet winters ( classic Mediterranean which coconuts generally dislike ), you would have pretty good drainage so the plant never really gets waterlogged..

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, greysrigging said:

I reckon your success with the coconut at that latitude relates directly to your username and the prevailing growing media in the Perth district.... SAND ! Despite the cool wet winters ( classic Mediterranean which coconuts generally dislike ), you would have pretty good drainage so the plant never really gets waterlogged..

I reckon that definitely makes a difference, Perth "soil" is definitely free draining and although the majority of rainfall arrives here in the cooler months it drains away very fast, when we get 3 or 4 days over winter without rain the ground is pretty dry, not having freezes on top probably helps. Perth's not right for these things to grow but it's close enough where if you are prepared to have a play they're worth a shot for a bit of fun.

A bit of iron and nitrogen greens them up after winter. That’s what I used to do to my Perth coconut. Not much in the sand to hold those nutrients around so a little often in the irrigation does the job. 

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

22 hours ago, sandgroper said:

I completely agree with you, there may be a certain point of no return for them whereby they're just too far gone  but I'm absolutely convinced that a lot of the fronds on the coconut do green up again once the warmer weather arrives if they've not too badly yellowed. I've paid particulat attention to the coconut as its been my pet project so if anything looks different with it i tend to notice. I've started fertilizing again and regular watering since spring has sprung and it's beginning to perk up, here's hoping this battle may have been won!

Thee second and third oldest fronds on my queen did yellow a bit, whereas the older ones and the newest are good. Will be a winter thing, I 'm sure they have improved a bit since a month ago.

Odd what my Bangalow has done, has opened the new frond when it has not fully emerged. Some potted ones near my work have done exactly the same. Might be a weather thing , was cool in October then had week of very warm at start of November.

20191119_184106.jpg

20191119_184038.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, cbmnz said:

Thee second and third oldest fronds on my queen did yellow a bit, whereas the older ones and the newest are good. Will be a winter thing, I 'm sure they have improved a bit since a month ago.

Odd what my Bangalow has done, has opened the new frond when it has not fully emerged. Some potted ones near my work have done exactly the same. Might be a weather thing , was cool in October then had week of very warm at start of November.

20191119_184106.jpg

20191119_184038.jpg

They both look nice and healthy mate!

• Upvote 1

On 11/20/2019 at 10:49 AM, sandgroper said:

They both look nice and healthy mate!

Thanks and didn't intend to hijack your thread. That Bangalow is like a reincarnation of what I planted, despite months of warm over Summer 2018-2019 it basically sulked and gradually all the fronds it came with died back. Finally in April it pushed out a new one that looked nothing like what it came with, now has pushed a second. I got it dirt cheap for 20 bucks, it must have been grown quick and cheaply in a very warm greenhouse and got a massive shock when planted out.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cbmnz said:

Thanks and didn't intend to hijack your thread. That Bangalow is like a reincarnation of what I planted, despite months of warm over Summer 2018-2019 it basically sulked and gradually all the fronds it came with died back. Finally in April it pushed out a new one that looked nothing like what it came with, now has pushed a second. I got it dirt cheap for 20 bucks, it must have been grown quick and cheaply in a very warm greenhouse and got a massive shock when planted out.

Don't worry about hijacking my thread mate, always happy to see someone have a win! The bangalow looks really nice, it's as healthy as you could hope to see and at $20 why wouldn't you have a try? I think you've done really well there.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Throw some fertilizer around the base, I bet it will get new green fronds fast. It's getting big! 

Already done mate! It is getting big, I'm really happy with the way it's going, fingers crossed who knows it might even flower! Either way I'm having fun.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Nice job Dave!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

First Thank you to let me join this group.

Second Congratulation to Sandgroper to grow coconut in Perth.

Third is a question where I can buy coconut seedling ? Had look several nursery none of them have it.

Please some one direct me where I can buy it from?

Thankyou

6 hours ago, Komang said:

First Thank you to let me join this group.

Second Congratulation to Sandgroper to grow coconut in Perth.

Third is a question where I can buy coconut seedling ? Had look several nursery none of them have it.

Please some one direct me where I can buy it from?

Thankyou

Palms galore in Wattleup often have them but if they don't there is a bloke in Leeming who usually has them, Google "coconut palm for sale Perth" and you'll find him.

Congratulations Dave!

It is indeed getting big!

I do really think you need to start using fertilizer in winter as well and compare the results, you have been documenting the its growth for a few winters now, it is time to try to feed it more:)

By the way you could try the banana tea (I saw in a video a Brazilian dude doing this), made with a lot of banana peel, you can irrigate the coconut with it for a few times, it supposedly helps with the green.

Regards

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Cluster said:

Congratulations Dave!

It is indeed getting big!

I do really think you need to start using fertilizer in winter as well and compare the results, you have been documenting the its growth for a few winters now, it is time to try to feed it more:)

By the way you could try the banana tea (I saw in a video a Brazilian dude doing this), made with a lot of banana peel, you can irrigate the coconut with it for a few times, it supposedly helps with the green.

Regards

Thanks for the comments mate, much appreciated.  I'm prepared to give anything a go with it as it's all a learning curve and I'm sure I can't do any damage to it. I'll fertilise it throughout next winter and see how it performs, our soils are extremely sandy and free draining so it can't possible become  water logged so it is certainly worth trying, hopefully it'll stay greener over the winter months. 

On 12/1/2019 at 7:08 PM, sandgroper said:

Palms galore in Wattleup often have them but if they don't there is a bloke in Leeming who usually has them, Google "coconut palm for sale Perth" and you'll find him.

Thanks for the info

Will try palm galore. Have message the guy in Lemming but he never get back to me.

Thanks

Agree. Palms Galore may get them in during the summer. Give Dave a ring. If you don’t mind a drive to Geraldton or Carnarvon you will likely get one as well. I got my dwarf Malay from Bunnings Geraldton but that was in 2007. 400km to Geraldton, 900km to Carnarvon from Perth.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

15 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Agree. Palms Galore may get them in during the summer. Give Dave a ring. If you don’t mind a drive to Geraldton or Carnarvon you will likely get one as well. I got my dwarf Malay from Bunnings Geraldton but that was in 2007. 400km to Geraldton, 900km to Carnarvon from Perth.

Hi Tyrone,

Just back from shark bay last month, and have tried ask couple of people if they have them but no luck. I guess RAC caravan Park got them from Carnavon.

Will try palm Galore first after my my wife out from hospital.

Do you think I can bring it from Broome via plane?

Thanks

14 hours ago, Komang said:

Hi Tyrone,

Just back from shark bay last month, and have tried ask couple of people if they have them but no luck. I guess RAC caravan Park got them from Carnavon.

Will try palm Galore first after my my wife out from hospital.

Do you think I can bring it from Broome via plane?

Thanks

This is the bloke in Leeming, they have coconut palms give them a ring or just pop out there and pick one up.

Screenshot_20191204-134914_Chrome.jpg

Hi Dave, 

Yes I see in Gumtree too, might give him a call not text, but probably not this week or next also, wife still in hospital ...family first :)

thankyou.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Definitely no doubt, yellow fronds on a coconut will green up again, at least if they're not too far gone. I took this pic just now.

Screenshot_20191207-105643_Gallery.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, sandgroper said:

Definitely no doubt, yellow fronds on a coconut will green up again, at least if they're not too far gone. I took this pic just now.

Screenshot_20191207-105643_Gallery.jpg

Nice Dave! The fronds do appear to be greening up.

:greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb:

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Cheers Alex, there's no doubt at all mate, it's coming back with a vengeance! I  really think the key to these things outside of they're normal growing range is to get them through the first 3 odd winters, I think once they've established themselves and put on a bit of size they can tolerate a bit more cooler weather than they would otherwise.  This one really was a seedling when it went in about 7 years ago, about the same size as the little one planted next to it nut it has certainly taken off in the last few years.

• Like 2

Forget what I just deleted.

Wow! 

Nice work!

Edited by GottmitAlex

I might be wrong, seem we here with four season will be hard to get fruit from coconut ( take years) not like at home in bali. With hybrids type we can have fruit in 5year.

The problem with hybrids the taste bit blend compare with normal one.

But I will love to see Dave's coco start to flowering and have fruits

Cheers

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Komang said:

I might be wrong, seem we here with four season will be hard to get fruit from coconut ( take years) not like at home in bali. With hybrids type we can have fruit in 5year.

The problem with hybrids the taste bit blend compare with normal one.

But I will love to see Dave's coco start to flowering and have fruits

Cheers

Probably need to be a bit further north to have them fruit, they fruit regularly from Shark Bay north but Perth is a bit far south.

23 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Forget what I just deleted.

Wow! 

Nice work!

Didn't see it mate!

7 minutes ago, sandgroper said:

Probably need to be a bit further north to have them fruit, they fruit regularly from Shark Bay north but Perth is a bit far south.

Yeah with more humidity it will help them. 

But I'm jealous with your Coco's. And it is a proof that we can grow Coco's here in Perth ( few people laugh at me when I said will grow Coco's at home) 

Here some type we grow in indo https://benuamesin.com/jenis-jenis-pohon-kelapa/  :wacko: prob need help from Google abit

Cheers

Edited by Komang
Add
  • Like 1

Question: What about the horizontal leaning fronds which, by the pics were cut? 

If you made a purpose built 15m tall atrium and enclosed the coconut in winter and grew it like an indoor plant during the cooler months then opened it up during summer then you would get it to fruit in Perth. Not many people have the money or space to do that though. It would be cool to design and build a house around a central atrium like that and put a Coconut and some lipstick palms in.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tyrone said:

If you made a purpose built 15m tall atrium and enclosed the coconut in winter and grew it like an indoor plant during the cooler months then opened it up during summer then you would get it to fruit in Perth. Not many people have the money or space to do that though. It would be cool to design and build a house around a central atrium like that and put a Coconut and some lipstick palms in.

Yeah it will be absolutely great complete with climate control 

I want one if win lottery .... Hahaha 

• Upvote 1

Dave,

I like the curve of the palm - it looks really nice!

As mentioned before, the arrangement with the sand is awesome!

Best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

• Like 2

On 12/7/2019 at 12:21 PM, GottmitAlex said:

Question: What about the horizontal leaning fronds which, by the pics were cut? 

I only cut them off if they're completely dead, if they have green on them I leave them.

• Like 1