GottmitAlex

My red Tahiti dwarf/Haari Papua cocos finally arrived

paquicuba
1 hour ago, GottmitAlex said:

How's it doing?

It was not growing at all for the first couple of weeks or so —most likely getting used to the new soil and growing some roots. In the last week I have noticed that it has started to grow. I'll take a picture tomorrow ;)

• Upvote 1

PalmatierMeg

It’s going gangbusters in late summer heat, humidity. Will post photos later as I’m not at home right now.

• Upvote 1

paquicuba
20 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

How's it doing?

Here it's after a month in the ground. 

IMG_1904.jpg

IMG_1903.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

GottmitAlex
50 minutes ago, paquicuba said:

Here it's after a month in the ground. 

IMG_1904.jpg

IMG_1903.jpg

Looking wonderful!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

GottmitAlex

Given summer is gone, how's everyone's red Haari Papua doing?  Here's mine. 22C in the garden @8:00pm pst. 

Mine was set back a bit due to red mite infestation in the garden. However, the bugs are gone and hopefully it will continue to grow.

Lights and lamps are on for effect and to get a picture. Quite dark outside. Yes, I just turned the lights off. It's overkill. 45c with the broodlamps. (Taken with my ir thermometer gun). I only employ them when it's 8C or below at night. (Late December-Jan)

20181027_200056.jpg

20181027_200025.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Upvote 1

sandgroper

They're looking great Alex. The weather is warming up nicely for me here in Perth, it was a lovely spring day of 29c today. I went down to the beach today and grabbed 10 litres of seawater to water the coconut with, I really think it helps, the best looking coconuts I've seen here in Australia are growing around the high tide mark along the beach. Looking forward to seeing how your coconuts fare over your coming winter mate, thanks for sharing your efforts.

• Upvote 1

JANAIY
On 3/31/2018 at 4:55 PM, GottmitAlex said:

20180331_114723.jpg

gorgeous. would you mind telling me where you got it from? I would love to order as well since it has been working out for you very well.

GottmitAlex
50 minutes ago, JANAIY said:

gorgeous. would you mind telling me where you got it from? I would love to order as well since it has been working out for you very well.

Thank you. Welcome to the forum!   Gee willikers, I procured this one through Ebay in late July 2016. I just tried to look for the transaction/past purchases, however, Ebay only allows me to go back until 2017... What I do know it's a Golden Malayan dwarf coconut. 

Edited by GottmitAlex

paquicuba
23 hours ago, JANAIY said:

This is the one I bought:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RED-TAHITI-RANGIROA-Dwarf-COCONUT-Cocos-nucifera-JUST-SPROUTED-Sml-Leaf-Plant/361546459452?hash=item542dd9293c:g:7sUAAOSwZSFXJWR-:rk:5:pf:0

GottmitAlex

There it is one year later.

With only a 6 ft. tall tarp above it this winter.  Hence some burning of the sides of fragile leaflets. I learned the hard way that in my climate, tenting will just rot the roots.

20190318_152413-1470x3024.jpg

20190318_152356-1470x3024.jpg

20190318_152402-1470x3024.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex

Palmaceae

Looking good Alex, especially considering the winter you had. 

Here is mine, been in the ground almost a year now.

20190318_155051.jpg

• Like 1

GottmitAlex
22 minutes ago, Palmaceae said:

Looking good Alex, especially considering the winter you had. 

Here is mine, been in the ground almost a year now.

20190318_155051.jpg

Just fantastic!

Is the husk beneath the mulch?

Edited by GottmitAlex

Palmaceae
5 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Just fantastic!

Is the husk beneath the mulch?

Thanks, the husk is still above the mulch, just can't really see it in the picture. Most of the husk is gone already, here in Florida it does not take long for the husk to decompose.

GottmitAlex
8 minutes ago, Palmaceae said:

Thanks, the husk is still above the mulch, just can't really see it in the picture. Most of the husk is gone already, here in Florida it does not take long for the husk to decompose.

That is awesome. Here, it takes years.

Two examples: Haari papua (year old) and my "precious" golden malayan dwarf 3 winters old.

20190318_165511.jpg

20190318_165459.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Like 1

GottmitAlex

Well, it's about to die. 

This one replaced the Jamaican Tall I had in the same plot of sand.  Something tells me it's not the cocos nor the sand. I believe it may be something foul beneath the 1 Meter of sand. This place is landfill. 

26 ft. high of landfill against a rock retaining wall.  I dug up (replaced) 3ft deep x 3ft long x 2-2.5ft wide of landfill and replaced it with coarse sand.  In this plot, the cocos survive and grow for about 12 months and then, rot. After the jamaican died I poured about 1 gallon of liquid copper fungicide in the plot... but it seems once the roots grow a certain distance, something kills them. Going to have to dig up 2m. before I plant anything there.

155777511508630728685510781523.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• epiphyte
      By epiphyte
      Californication was a pretty good show.   But which show is the greatest?  It is, according to Richard Dawkins, evolution.   
      In this post I'm gonna use the word "Californication" to refer to the process of plants adapting to California's conditions.  Anybody who grows plants outdoors here in California participates in this process, but it is not something that we generally talk about.  
      Around a decade ago I sowed some orchid seeds on my tree and quite a few germinated...

Last year the largest seedling bloomed for the first time...

In this blog entry you can see pics of the largest seedling over the years.  Plus you can see a pic of the smallest seedling.  
      Some orchid seed pods contain a million seeds.  Since each seed is different, we'd expect there to be quite a bit of variation among the seeds in a single pod.  We've all heard the expression "the apple didn't fall far from the tree".   But if a million apples fall from a tree... 
      More variation means faster adaptation.  Of course I'd love to have an epiphytic orchid that doesn't require any supplemental water here in California.  Such an orchid though would essentially be capable of naturalizing in California.  
      On the one hand, in terms of traditional conservation, it is a bad thing for non-native plants to naturalize.  But on the other hand, everybody who grows non-native plants outdoors facilitates their eventual naturalization.  
      Traditional conservation is a zero-sum game.  For example, adding Aloe dichotoma to California's wilderness would result in the subtraction of Hesperoyucca whipplei.  In any case, anybody who is pro-conservation will certainly be opposed to Aloe dichotoma's naturalization.  Yet, everybody in California who grows Aloe dichotoma is helping to select for individuals that are more and more capable of naturalization.   People who grow Aloe dichotoma from seed are especially "guilty".  
      I personally haven't grown Aloe dichotoma from seed, but have grown plenty of other Aloes from seeds.  Out of all the different Aloe species and hybrids, which is the closest to being capable of naturalizing?  Every plant in California can be ranked according to how close it is to being able to naturalize.  
      Aeoniums are ranked higher than Tillandsias, but which is the highest ranked Tillandsia?  Tillandsia usneoides would seem like it should be higher ranked than Tillandsia aeranthos, but for some reason the latter volunteers for me far more than the former.  I've given away 100s of Tillandsia aeranthos volunteers over the years.  It might be my imagination but the most recent batch of volunteers seem smaller than my original plants...

The original plants are from my friend's greenhouse where they had been volunteering for years.  They hadn't been selected for temperature or moisture, until he gave most of them to me.  Since then they've been subjected to temps below freezing and up to 116F, as well as cold wet rain and summer drought.  Plus they've probably been crossed with Tillandsia stricta, tenuifolia, bergeri and other compatible Tillandsias.
      Absent any human intervention or natural disaster, Tillandsias would have eventually made their way to California.  The same is true of Canada.  
      Here's a relevant post... Tillandsia usneoides (forms and hybrids).  Seva lives in Virginia near the edge of T. usneoides' natural distribution.  He is experimenting with growing different forms of usneoides outdoors.  It stands to reason that the non-native forms will naturally be cross-pollinated with the native forms.  Increasing the size of the gene pool should facilitate the northern expansion of the Spanish Moss.  From the perspective of the Spanish Moss this is a good thing.  But from the perspective of traditional conservation?  Traditional conservation is opposed to facilitating colonization.  Well, it is ok for birds and squirrels to help move Spanish Moss northwards, but not ok for humans to do so.  
      Today I noticed that Silas bumped my thread about Hoya/Dischidia cold tolerance.   Hoya carnosa is relatively cold tolerant and last year I sowed some seeds of it...

One of the seedlings already has peduncles on it with buds just starting to form.  
      Here are some red Brugmansia hybrids that I grew from seed...

I've also grown various Begonias from seed, such as Begonia umbraculifera... 

And here are some Aeoniums that I've grown from seed (Aeonium Cyclops)...

Easy to see the variation in colors, but not easy to see the variation in suitability to California's conditions.  
      There was only one year where I had Aeoniums volunteer in my garden.  Probably wasn't a coincidence that it was a relatively wet winter.  It is kinda surprising how much moisture succulent seeds need to germinate.  
      Tracy asked about the effectiveness of sprinkling orchid seeds.  Lots of people here in SoCal grow reed-stem Epidendrum orchids, which readily produce numerous viable seeds, which end up being sprinkled by the wind.  The seeds rarely germinate though, for the same reason that Aeoniums and Echeverias rarely volunteer... inadequate moisture.  
      If you sow reed-stem seeds on slightly moist New Zealand Sphagnum that is in a slightly open zip lock bag that is by a bright window then voila...

The same method has worked with Bletilla striata seeds.  Guessing that it would also work with Sobralia macrantha seeds.  
      In every batch of seeds though some are going to need less moisture to germinate than others.  Variation is nature's way of hedging bets.  It is the basis of adaptation and colonization.  
      Of course I don't want every plant to colonize California.  But as it is, California isn't nearly diverse enough for me.  Not that I go around trying to directly introduce plants into the wild.  However I do certainly directly participate in a process that will eventually result in a far more diverse California.  And I'm definitely not alone!  Lots and lots of people participate in this process.  
      What do you think about Californication?  How well do you perceive the process of countless non-native plants being selected for by California's conditions?  

• Silas_Sancona
      By Silas_Sancona
      Just saw this over on  MSN.. anyone feel it out there? 
    • PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      I saw a picture on Google of these palms, then I looked at them on street view, and I can't figure out what they are. Does anyone know? 

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      Is this huge difference in tempatures in Coastal Southern California and Inland Southern California from the ocean and the mountains? How high are these mountains? Every time I look at a tempature map of the U.S. I see how much cooler it is in Coastal California than Inland California, which I know is a desert. Does Coastal California ever seem chilly out at some times around this time of year? Out of curiosity I sometimes compare tempatures of here and places like San Diego or Los Angeles and a lot of the time it is warmer here (during the day) in the Spring time. For people who live in these places, what does it feel like out? It looks like Southern California has all kinds of different little (but bigger than micro) climates. I make sure to pay attention to the time difference as well. 
      I apologize for the typo in the title, I didn't notice it. 

• epiphyte
      By epiphyte
      The show had quite a few nice entries, for example Vriesea Strawberry... 

Posted pics on my blog.