IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is this a good deal?

BigFrond

Yesterday I bought a 5 gal Adonidia Veitchia from HD for $33.  There were 3 plants in the pot.  The tallest is about 3-3.5 ft.  Is this a good deal?  I had to remove it from the rack as soon as I saw it because it was the only one.

Id say the price was fair, but it was not a giveaway.  But, that statement is based on prices that I see around here.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

i got the same one! $33 doesn't seem too pricey,considering their smaller wodyetias now go for $39!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

(pohonkelapa @ Jul. 27 2006,11:45)

i got the same one! $33 doesn't seem too pricey,considering their smaller wodyetias now go for $39!

What!?!?!?!

The 3 gallon Wodyetias at big box stores down here are 10 bucks...the same price as Queens.

Larry 

i said the same thing--"what?!?!?!".

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I'd say $33 was an average price.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

In my opinion, if your not sure,and you think it's a fair price and it looks like it's worth the money to YOU, then buy it. It might not be a sweet deal, or steal,and if you second guess yourself and leave, only to come back and find that someone else bought it. I say this palm was worth about $15-20. Only kidding, LOL :P

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

It Could be a good deal depending on what part of town your from. But if you live in South,Fla. not a good deal.

Local Nursery sells foxtails, spindle, bottle and fish tail palms all in 25gal pots for $55.00 thats just to mention a few. All depends on your location.

Jeff and Dave,

Wow!  You guys have access to nice palms for such low prices.  Around SoCal, any palm in 15 gal starts around 60-100 dollars.  Geeze, I thought I got a fair price for the the 1 gal spindle at the Quail Botanical Garden sale for $15.

(BigFrond @ Jul. 27 2006,18:06)

Jeff and Dave,

Wow!  You guys have access to nice palms for such low prices.  Around SoCal, any palm in 15 gal starts around 60-100 dollars.  Geeze, I thought I got a fair price for the the 1 gal spindle at the Quail Botanical Garden sale for $15.

Bring a trailer and a couple of bucks and I`ll fill you up.

I think I got a steal while I was in Boulder, Colorado a week or 2 ago. 20 bucks for a nice Chamaedorea metallica in a 1 gallon pot I think and it was 1.5 feet tall with some trunk. Considering I had never seen this one for sale at local stores, I think I made off well, considering it was labeled as a Fish Tailed Dracaena.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

(Zac in NC @ Jul. 27 2006,18:54)

I think I got a steal while I was in Boulder, Colorado a week or 2 ago. 20 bucks for a nice Chamaedorea metallica in a 1 gallon pot I think and it was 1.5 feet tall with some trunk. Considering I had never seen this one for sale at local stores, I think I made off well, considering it was labeled as a Fish Tailed Dracaena.

Zac

Home Depots seem to be stocking these palms this year.  I think they are $17.99 for a 3 gallon size.

Larry 

(Dave Butler @ Jul. 27 2006,17:57)

It Could be a good deal depending on what part of town your from. But if you live in South,Fla. not a good deal.

Local Nursery sells foxtails, spindle, bottle and fish tail palms all in 25gal pots for $55.00 thats just to mention a few. All depends on your location.

No doubt...South FL is THE place to go to buy palms.

Larry 

Like Dave said.....it just depends where you live. It's all relative, and more importantly, timing is everthing.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Anytime our Home Depots have anything other than Foxs, Fishtails, Majesties, Kings, Queens, or Pindos, I scoop them up.

I just scooped up three nice 3gal Teddys at one Home Depot a few months ago for $33 each.  One of them was 4 feet tall with a 4 inch base!  I heard from someone they won't have those again for years...

JD,

OUCH !  Teddy Bears are that expensive out there?

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(JD in the OC @ Jul. 28 2006,03:39)

Anytime our Home Depots have anything other than Foxs, Fishtails, Majesties, Kings, Queens, or Pindos, I scoop them up.

I just scooped up three nice 3gal Teddys at one Home Depot a few months ago for $33 each.  One of them was 4 feet tall with a 4 inch base!  I heard from someone they won't have those again for years...

JD,

Despite the Flroridians views on the SoCal high prices  :D , I would have scoop them up myself if those Teddys are available in my neighborhood Home Depot.

Thanks for the input Bigfrond.  I thought they were a pretty good deal.

Jeff, I guess we're two worlds apart eh?... :)

JD

Judge Mongo not LIKE it when you steal big palm tree . . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.