Sign in to follow this  
BigFrond

Is this a good deal?

BigFrond

Yesterday I bought a 5 gal Adonidia Veitchia from HD for $33.  There were 3 plants in the pot.  The tallest is about 3-3.5 ft.  Is this a good deal?  I had to remove it from the rack as soon as I saw it because it was the only one.

spockvr6

Id say the price was fair, but it was not a giveaway.  But, that statement is based on prices that I see around here.

paulgila

i got the same one! $33 doesn't seem too pricey,considering their smaller wodyetias now go for $39!

spockvr6

(pohonkelapa @ Jul. 27 2006,11:45)

i got the same one! $33 doesn't seem too pricey,considering their smaller wodyetias now go for $39!

What!?!?!?!

The 3 gallon Wodyetias at big box stores down here are 10 bucks...the same price as Queens.

paulgila

i said the same thing--"what?!?!?!".

SubTropicRay

I'd say $33 was an average price.

Jeff Searle

In my opinion, if your not sure,and you think it's a fair price and it looks like it's worth the money to YOU, then buy it. It might not be a sweet deal, or steal,and if you second guess yourself and leave, only to come back and find that someone else bought it. I say this palm was worth about $15-20. Only kidding, LOL :P

Dave Butler

It Could be a good deal depending on what part of town your from. But if you live in South,Fla. not a good deal.

Local Nursery sells foxtails, spindle, bottle and fish tail palms all in 25gal pots for $55.00 thats just to mention a few. All depends on your location.

BigFrond

Jeff and Dave,

Wow!  You guys have access to nice palms for such low prices.  Around SoCal, any palm in 15 gal starts around 60-100 dollars.  Geeze, I thought I got a fair price for the the 1 gal spindle at the Quail Botanical Garden sale for $15.

Dave Butler

(BigFrond @ Jul. 27 2006,18:06)

Jeff and Dave,

Wow!  You guys have access to nice palms for such low prices.  Around SoCal, any palm in 15 gal starts around 60-100 dollars.  Geeze, I thought I got a fair price for the the 1 gal spindle at the Quail Botanical Garden sale for $15.

Bring a trailer and a couple of bucks and I`ll fill you up.

Zac in NC

I think I got a steal while I was in Boulder, Colorado a week or 2 ago. 20 bucks for a nice Chamaedorea metallica in a 1 gallon pot I think and it was 1.5 feet tall with some trunk. Considering I had never seen this one for sale at local stores, I think I made off well, considering it was labeled as a Fish Tailed Dracaena.

Zac

spockvr6

(Zac in NC @ Jul. 27 2006,18:54)

I think I got a steal while I was in Boulder, Colorado a week or 2 ago. 20 bucks for a nice Chamaedorea metallica in a 1 gallon pot I think and it was 1.5 feet tall with some trunk. Considering I had never seen this one for sale at local stores, I think I made off well, considering it was labeled as a Fish Tailed Dracaena.

Zac

Home Depots seem to be stocking these palms this year.  I think they are $17.99 for a 3 gallon size.

spockvr6

(Dave Butler @ Jul. 27 2006,17:57)

It Could be a good deal depending on what part of town your from. But if you live in South,Fla. not a good deal.

Local Nursery sells foxtails, spindle, bottle and fish tail palms all in 25gal pots for $55.00 thats just to mention a few. All depends on your location.

No doubt...South FL is THE place to go to buy palms.

Jeff Searle

Like Dave said.....it just depends where you live. It's all relative, and more importantly, timing is everthing.

JD in the OC

Anytime our Home Depots have anything other than Foxs, Fishtails, Majesties, Kings, Queens, or Pindos, I scoop them up.

I just scooped up three nice 3gal Teddys at one Home Depot a few months ago for $33 each.  One of them was 4 feet tall with a 4 inch base!  I heard from someone they won't have those again for years...

Jeff Searle

JD,

OUCH !  Teddy Bears are that expensive out there?

BigFrond

(JD in the OC @ Jul. 28 2006,03:39)

Anytime our Home Depots have anything other than Foxs, Fishtails, Majesties, Kings, Queens, or Pindos, I scoop them up.

I just scooped up three nice 3gal Teddys at one Home Depot a few months ago for $33 each.  One of them was 4 feet tall with a 4 inch base!  I heard from someone they won't have those again for years...

JD,

Despite the Flroridians views on the SoCal high prices  :D , I would have scoop them up myself if those Teddys are available in my neighborhood Home Depot.

JD in the OC

Thanks for the input Bigfrond.  I thought they were a pretty good deal.

Jeff, I guess we're two worlds apart eh?... :)

JD

DoomsDave

Judge Mongo not LIKE it when you steal big palm tree . . . .

dave