climate change virginia
On 5/19/2019 at 8:01 PM, Sabal Steve said:

5/2019

EE272E17-1A33-4A5D-A789-2C70FE7BB965.thumb.jpeg.f0e32089f8602b0853b21c8fa76328fc.jpeg

what are those trees in the background that look like palms coming off a stick

Frond-friend42

Yuccas.

Frond-friend42
6 minutes ago, climate change virginia said:

what are those trees in the background that look like palms coming off a stick

Yucca guatemalensis I think.

Sabal Steve

Here’s an updated photo, along with a shot of that Yucca.  I broke a branch off of a fallen tree that I came across.  That Yucca has been a slow, steady grower, that needs nothing.  The Butia is pretty resilient, too.B8685DB8-C5FD-406C-993F-73D8AB35012C.thumb.jpeg.6d17e0b9ea58528232fd2042605c4426.jpegE68D8E23-EB2B-4E1B-9625-109904F1759F.thumb.jpeg.c165dccbe03ef88443d15cc63d952cee.jpeg

Edited by Sabal Steve
  • Like 4

Fusca
10 minutes ago, Sabal Steve said:

Here’s an updated photo

Wow, what a beefy trunk on that thing!  Makes me wonder if you've got a Butia x Jubaea.  That would explain the big trunk.  Either that or just due to variation in species.  Were there any Jubaea around when you collected that seedling?  Looks awesome!

Sabal Steve
21 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Wow, what a beefy trunk on that thing!  Makes me wonder if you've got a Butia x Jubaea.  That would explain the big trunk.  Either that or just due to variation in species.  Were there any Jubaea around when you collected that seedling?  Looks awesome!

I’m pretty sure it’s a Butia, but anything is possible.  There are some Jubs not too far away, but none are flowering.  But there is a Butia x Jubaea, maybe a quarter mile away, which has to be 30’ tall.

Edited by Sabal Steve

Fusca
23 minutes ago, Sabal Steve said:

I’m pretty sure it’s a Butia, but anything is possible.  There are some Jubs not too far away, but none are flowering.  But there is a Butia x Jubaea, maybe a quarter mile away, which has to be 30’ tall.

I love it whatever it is!  Reminded me of a photo of JxB that @TexasColdHardyPalms posted recently with about a 5' diameter trunk.

• Like 1

Palmfarmer

Wow what a freak! look Forward to see how mine will do, its finally growing slowly but steadly after transplant in april with a small rootball.

• Like 1

Palmfarmer

I thought most butias was suspect to root rot if watered to much. They dont mind a lot of irrigation in hot periods? 

climate change virginia
On 5/20/2019 at 6:21 PM, Ben in Norcal said:

B. yatay

whats their growing zone

James B

The growth rate on your Butia is awesome! Keeping my fingers crossed mine grows like that. Been in ground since spring. Still acclimating to full sun was under canopy at the nursery 

thallo

This thread inspired me to plant a Butia in my hellstrip last year (Sep 2019). It’s still quite small but has pushed 3- 4 new spikes. 

4415D22A-0515-40AE-AC76-57DBD4F1C3B2.jpeg

• Like 5

NC_Palm_Enthusiast
On 5/3/2020 at 1:10 AM, JLM said:

Wow! Amazing! Maybe they are fast while they are young, then slow down a lot as they age.

I do believe that is the case. This 18 year old, 15+ ft tall b. odorata seems to gain less height per growing season as it has aged. It started to develop a bare trunk about five years ago:

butia1.jpg.49539d2d8ecdb4a1a409058359d09ca5.jpg

• Like 4

Palmfarmer
On 10/22/2020 at 8:25 PM, Fusca said:

would it not grow at a snails pace if it was crossed with Jubea? How fast are usually a Butia x Jubea?

Fusca
49 minutes ago, Palmfarmer said:

would it not grow at a snails pace if it was crossed with Jubea? How fast are usually a Butia x Jubea?

I think an F1 Butia x Jubaea would have enough hybrid vigor to grow faster than a regular Butia but from what I've read Jubaea x Butia F1 grows faster than BxJ.  I don't have experience with F1 BxJ but I have an F2 BxJ that grows at a snail's pace because it lacks the hybrid vigor and it looks just like a Butia as well.  I thought Steve's palm might be a hybrid due to the speed and the thick trunk, but since he got the seedling from the boots of a Butia the mother palm would have to be Butia - either plain Butia or Butia x Jubaea.