IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal Steve

This was a real surprise for me.  Early 2016 I planted a strap leaf seedling (3 leaves) that I grabbed from out of the boot of a mature Butia odorata.  It got planted out near the curb, with no care, planted in clay.  I'm not sure what type of watering it gets, but I've never seen it watered.  Anyways, the pics tell the story.

6/2016

IMAG0843.thumb.jpg.0585b9ee88b34032f800d

3/2018

IMAG1798.thumb.jpg.ff412d44be0a225c32461

• Like 2
  • Upvote 12

That is impressive growth - looks like a 3-gal size in 06/16 and a 15-gal size now.  And it's fixin' to flower!  :)  It must be getting a lot of water (maybe a leaky pipe?)  I've grown a couple of these the same way - from a seedling started in an old leaf boot.  Good way to get a fast start!

Jon

Jon Sunder

Butias can grow fast, Some of my Butia eriospatha began flowering when they were 5-6 years old

• Like 1

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

My fastest growing palm.

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

Beautiful plant! Somehow they just  reject to grow here. Still can't to figure it out why.

Yes, it's under powerlines.  To be clear, I grabbed the seedling during the previous fall/winter; that's the first picture that I was able to find.  It is next to the incoming water line, so yeah, it could be getting water from that.  There's another Pindo,  across the street, that has grown at about 1/3 the rate.

• 6 months later...

Great structure and blue-green color on that one! I know people knock them around SD for being "too easy", but they really are beautiful and unique palms.  Nothing else looks like them.  Yours almost looks like a giant-leaved cycad at this stage.

2 hours ago, Firepalm said:

Great structure and blue-green color on that one! I know people knock them around SD for being "too easy", but they really are beautiful and unique palms.  Nothing else looks like them.  Yours almost looks like a giant-leaved cycad at this stage.

Thank you.  I've been really surprised how easy this has been.  It gets little to no care.  Part of a series of experimental palms, that one day will be tested, to see if they can live without assistance.  The Sabal that I posted in the other thread, is part of the experiment, too.

• 7 months later...

I have never understood when I have seen people describe them as slow growing.  Mine came in itty bitty pots from eBay, now they are in my biggest tubs (and this in NJ).

I have another palm that I previously assumed was a Butia, but is 1/5 the size.  I suspect it at least a Butia x Judaea hybrid, if not Jubaea fully.  Need to post a pic of that one for a positive id.

11 minutes ago, oasis371 said:

I have never understood when I have seen people describe them as slow growing

I was under the same impression until I got one. from less than 5' to over 10' in just under 3 years.  Wish my trachys would grow that fast

2 minutes ago, Chester B said:

I was under the same impression until I got one. from less than 5' to over 10' in just under 3 years.  Wish my trachys would grow that fast

You must not have latisectus...absolute rocket ships!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Just now, Ben in Norcal said:

You must not have latisectus...absolute rocket ships!

Too cold here I wish!  Pretty sure they're a zone 9 palm.  I'm stuck at 8B for at least another decade.

2 minutes ago, Chester B said:

Too cold here I wish!  Pretty sure they're a zone 9 palm.  I'm stuck at 8B for at least another decade.

4 years from a small 5g!

C6F87105-56FE-48A3-9670-6259FE131E2C.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

That looks awesome.

Before and after Butia from the same angle. 2 years and 9 months in the ground.

Pindo 1.jpg

Pindo 2.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

Speaking of Butia, here’s a B. yatay 4 years from an average 15g. Note the 5g bucket for scale. This thing is in the most atrocious rocky soil ever, and doesn’t seem to blink.

E4A5D74E-83E7-4D22-B6B9-DFD90F709263.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Ben Rogers

That looks great., and fast.  Maybe I should get one of those.  

15 minutes ago, Chester B said:

That looks great., and fast.  Maybe I should get one of those.  

Yatay is noticably faster than B. odorata for me.  There's an odorata just nearby that is probably 2/3 of the size, and not as nice looking.

Ben Rogers

16 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Speaking of Butia, here’s a B. yatay 4 years from an average 15g. Note the 5g bucket for scale. This thing is in the most atrocious rocky soil ever, and doesn’t seem to blink.

E4A5D74E-83E7-4D22-B6B9-DFD90F709263.jpeg

Seeing that Yatay makes me wonder if my supposed yatay is a yatay :D 

Certainly more upright then mine. I've been meaning to ask Patrik if he has any straight B Yatay so I can get a confirmed species. Mine is certainly a more upright then a B. odorata but not as strict as yours. 

2 minutes ago, RJ said:

Seeing that Yatay makes me wonder if my supposed yatay is a yatay :D 

Certainly more upright then mine. I've been meaning to ask Patrik if he has any straight B Yatay so I can get a confirmed species. Mine is certainly a more upright then a B. odorata but not as strict as yours. 

I do slightly over-trim it however...I have walking areas on each side of it, so need to have things out of the way.  Starting to go up now though, which is helping!

Ben Rogers

Here is the nearby B odorata for comparison. You can see the yatay in the background. Smaller, more re-curve, also over-trimmed!

A6BAA336-A845-4F8A-B4F7-7438BC063260.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

12 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Here is the nearby B odorata for comparison. You can see the yatay in the background. Smaller, more re-curve, also over-trimmed!

A6BAA336-A845-4F8A-B4F7-7438BC063260.jpeg

Ben what doesn't grow good for you ? Definitely some good looking Butia's

• Like 1

T J 

3 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Ben what doesn't grow good for you ? Definitely some good looking Butia's

Some things definitely do better than others! :D

The Butias are nice in this part of the yard, because they don't seem to mind the sandy, rocky, fill soil they dumped in back in the late 70s.

Ben Rogers

Whats the hardiness difference of those 2 Butia compared to a regular Capitata that are all over the place in my parts ?

T J 

6 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Whats the hardiness difference of those 2 Butia compared to a regular Capitata that are all over the place in my parts ?

Thankfully, I can't really comment on hardiness - don't get cold enough.

BTW, it is B. odorata that is all over the place in your parts, not B. capitata, which is very rare in cultivation.

Ben Rogers

4 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Thankfully, I can't really comment on hardiness - don't get cold enough.

BTW, it is B. odorata that is all over the place in your parts, not B. capitata, which is very rare in cultivation.

Well aint that something haha all this time I just assumed these were all Capitata. Pindo or jelly palm I thought was the ordinary run of the mill sold at big box stores and such around town palm. After looking at random pics on the net I can barely tell the difference in the 2 so if B.Odorata is the common palm around here then there hardiness is real good since hardly any got hurt in 2017 and 2018 winters

T J 

2 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Well aint that something haha all this time I just assumed these were all Capitata. Pindo or jelly palm I thought was the ordinary run of the mill sold at big box stores and such around town palm. After looking at random pics on the net I can barely tell the difference in the 2 so if B.Odorata is the common palm around here then there hardiness is real good since hardly any got hurt in 2017 and 2018 winters

B. odorata are frequently mislabelled as B. capitata - in both stores and on the web.

Ben Rogers

Well thanks for the info Ben I'm kinda feeling a lil sideways now haha need to brush up on my palm knowledge asap

• Like 1

T J 

• 11 months later...

Dude you're blocking the road --- LOL.  And you busted the sidewalk with that thing.  jk  NICE

Edited by Allen
  • Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Wow! Amazing! Maybe they are fast while they are young, then slow down a lot as they age.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

• 5 months later...
On 4/1/2018 at 8:49 PM, Alberto said:

Butias can grow fast, Some of my Butia eriospatha began flowering when they were 5-6 years old

Would it be wise to plant one in 8a on a south facing wall.

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson