IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

(Re-?)Introducing Palms

Palmsbro

What kind of palms do you want to see naturalized or reintroduced to any place? 

I would like to see Sabal palmetto fully re-introduced to the barrier islands of North Carolina all the way north to the border with Virginia. Roystonea regia would be great in the wild in the Southern Tampa Bay Area such as St. Pete and Western Manatee County.

• Upvote 1

I would like to see reproducing needle palm groves in some areas where they would be appreciated (marginal climates?).  Too many of these have been bulldozed.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

1 minute ago, kinzyjr said:

I would like to see reproducing needle palm groves in some areas where they would be appreciated (marginal climates?).  Too many of these have been bulldozed.

I wish someone naturalized Needle Palms here and I would like to see Sabal minor abundantly growing in Virginia from the Great Dismal Swamp and eastward, also on the Eastern Shore. 

• Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

I would love to see Hyphaene thebaica introduced+naturalized in the hottest parts of Morocco (starting with Marrakech and its area, + all the desertic regions of southern Morocco), this palm is such a beauty, and would thrive in such climate !

Well, I got a long list of palms I would like to see cultivated here in Holland, but I also know that they won't stand a chance to survive! The only palmgenus that will stand a chance is Trachycarpus and only when started as young plants, because only young palms will protect themselves from the wet Dutch winters by growing very fat trunks.

Wim.

On 3/27/2018, 4:13:54, PalmTreeDude said:

I wish someone naturalized Needle Palms here and I would like to see Sabal minor abundantly growing in Virginia from the Great Dismal Swamp and eastward, also on the Eastern Shore. 

This needs to happen :).

23 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

And I would like to see Lytocaryum itapebiense (= Syagrus itapebiensis) fully re-introduced to its natural habitat in Bahia/Brazil !!! :(

WOW, http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Lytocaryum_itapebiense! I had no idea that this even existed!