IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Who is growing Dypsis hovomantsina?

Kim

A trio of Dypsis hovomantsina are loitering in the back of my garden. Purchased around June 2011, they were in 4- inch pots and soon moved up to larger pots... where they didn’t do much but soak up rain and sun.  Eventually they made it to plantable size and went in the ground.  (Have to check my records to provide the date. EDIT: July 2014) At last they are showing some great progress, and one is definitely gaining more weight than the others.  I wonder how other D. hovos out there are doing? Please post your experiences and photos. 

The lower palm is planted in a depression, the one above was just liberated from weed captivity. 2963629E-0C09-4698-A4D9-AD31A08D2ABD.thu

This is the largest of the three, planted a short distance to the right. (Metroxylon amicarum behind)E496AEF7-E515-43A3-ACFC-8857E18D3C83.thu

Moi for scale

6BA2BCC4-E131-4490-ABCB-BF6F0CE3D8A1.thu

• Like 2
  • Upvote 9

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Great subject Kim!!

I LOVE these palms, the problem has been easily shown in your post. You will have a random "few" that seem to well outpace the others. My picture shows one I was lucky to locate a well grown one recently that I potted into a squat 10 gal pot. It WAS in a 3 gal, AND it was twice as big as any others around! You have to get as many as you can and hope for a really good one! (At least in Hawaii they still grow. The slow growers in So Cal are SLOW. In my case, they DO NOT respond well to over potting! I recently bought some 1 gals from Floribunda and one looks a bit more vigorous than the others. I will probably know by end of summer if that is the case. I HAD another large one box planted doing well and it sadly was the first one that told me I was having a vole-and/or gopher infestation several years back. I'll find the link to that and add.

I too would like to see others out there!!

29405341_1684941761571456_1892127400_o.t

29634594_1684941711571461_1069249286_o.t

• Upvote 3

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I to have 4 small ones that I have had for a couple years now they seem to do pretty well for me . One of the easier dypsis in my opinion but they are super super slow here in Southern California . Mine had a little bit of browning on the leafs from last winter . But not bad considering they aren't in a green house and I just have them out in the pots with no protection at all. I noticed they seem to do better underpotted. I have a small one that was in a 4 in pot that I kicked up to a 1 and after I did it it went from being pinnate to bifid when the next spear opened . I am by far no expert but haven't ever had any other palms go from pinnate back to bifid is this common ?

• Upvote 1

BIG1509_MaryDHovomantsinaA.thumb.jpg.953Bill Austin's specimen, it's a big fatty

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Heres an old link to my first big one... with carnage at the end.. :( 

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

It seems to happen more frequently on slow growers I've noticed..

Here is another actually noticed it has a new spear didn't notice it the last time I looked at them. You can see the browning from the cold or maybe it's from the sun not sure .

IMG_3140.JPG

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Here is another actually noticed it has a new spear didn't notice it the last time I looked at them. You can see the browning from the cold or maybe it's from the sun not sure .

That doesn’t look bad for being out with no protection in Southern California. Mine never went in reverse with the leaf form so I can’t comment on that, but I usually trust the plant. :winkie:

Bill, those little ones look very familiar and your 10-gallon is looking great! Sorry about the loss of the earlier one to gophers; that had to hurt with such a slow moving species. Thanks for your experience regarding variability. My three were all identical for a long time, but once in the ground they each moved at their own pace. I thought it must be conditions— the largest has the deepest soil before encountering rocks while the smallest is planted on a hill formed by piled up debris of rock and decomposed logs (thus the extreme weed difficulty, not to mention unstable footing when I step up there). The one in the depression is moving along pretty well now, but doesn’t keep up with the big one. 

Bo and I have noticed a lot of variability and size in a Dypsis prestoniana, too. Maybe it’s a Dypsis trait?

Moose, I remember that pic of Bill Austin’s— that is what we all hope to see a few more years down the long and winding hovomantsina road. 

I’d like to hear more experiences and see more photos. Post ‘em!

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Aloha Kim, here are a few photos of the only one I have in the garden. Acquired at the end of 2011 in a 1 gal. pot and planted soon thereafter. Took awhile to get going, but seems to be in the 'groove' nowadays. 

That's Hilo Jason for some scale. 

Tim

P1040675.jpg

P1040679.jpg

P1040865.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Hi Kim, I've got two in the ground, cold hardy to 27 F with good canopy, not even a bit of burn, "Orange Crush", no burn, Ed

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

This is mine. The only one sprout in 10 RPS seeds, one year old and not too healthy.

May be in 20 years will look like Kim's hovo.

IMG_20180326_175131.thumb.jpg.883e145893

Edited by Monòver
  • Upvote 2

Woo hoo Tim's hovomantsina! That is gorgeous! And I met with Jason recently, and know for sure he is not a short guy. ;)

Ed, sounds like you have a good environment for your Dypsis palms, would love to see a pic!

Monòver, do not get discouraged. This is a palm worth waiting for. I wish you every success with this slow but beautiful palm. 

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

I've had one inground for a few years but every new leaf seems to get burnt to a crisp by the sun.  Is that normal ?  I would have thought it would have hardened up by now.

CahNtR6.jpg

• Upvote 4

Well, you can grow D. hovos, or you can GROW them, or you can GROW them.

In Hawaii, you can certainly do that last, as opposed to the first here in California. My babies look like @JubaeaMan138's so far.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

17 hours ago, steve99 said:

I've had one inground for a few years but every new leaf seems to get burnt to a crisp by the sun.  Is that normal ?  I would have thought it would have hardened up by now.

CahNtR6.jpg

Ouch! Perhaps Queensland sun is more intense than Hawaii sun? That crispy look has not been my experience, but East Hawaii Island has cloud cover something like 60% of the time. Maybe give it some relief with a temporary shade structure for when the sun is directly overhead in your hottest season? I can see the leaves are making the normal progression in size, which is a good sign.

• Like 1

Kim Cyr

Interesting Steve, But to my eyes it does not look like hovomantsina? Any close ups of the base of the petiole? It almost looks like ampansandavae instead.. and those are notorious "leaf burners".

22 minutes ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Interesting Steve, But to my eyes it does not look like hovomantsina? Any close ups of the base of the petiole? It almost looks like ampansandavae instead.. and those are notorious "leaf burners".

Here's a close up if that helps.   

bFUluGS.jpg

Great pictures everyone!  I have 2 of these in my yard. Since I am limited with space (1/2 acre) I am not planting many duplicate palms but I made an exception for Dypsis Hovomantsina!  My most recent planting was this 10 gallon:

IMG_0478.thumb.JPG.2680ea170b55d3380d1e4

happily in the ground:

IMG_0480.thumb.JPG.225b11af2f3c8288e95dc

sorry for the bad lighting on those pictures caused by the afternoon position of the sun. 

Heres another picture that shows some other palms in the area:

IMG_0551.thumb.JPG.f9683eea2ac6ddfaa7a71

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Here's one that is slightly larger,  this was planted from a 15 gallon about 4 months ago.  This picture is from December shortly after it was planted.  Rocky for scale. A Dypsis Mananjarensis (mealy bug) is on the left. 

IMG_0281.thumb.JPG.dbf21a6c20977d6ac8408

And here's an updated picture from early March, opening a new leaf. 

IMG_0535.thumb.JPG.255d9faab9b9cad012114

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5

Here's an updated photo of Bill Austin's largest (I think). Probably the same one that Moose posted earlier.  Hard to get it all in a photo. 

IMG_0589.thumb.JPG.20528f42de605f6133cf7

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Another one at Bill Austin's place. Every stage of this palm is incredible. I really like this pre-trunking feather duster look with the white and reddish coloring. 

IMG_0590.thumb.JPG.a6ba00880a134cca309d0

• Like 2
  • Upvote 7

:wub: You are not wasting any time or space in your new garden, Jason! Looks fabulous!

• Like 1

Kim Cyr

9 hours ago, steve99 said:

Here's a close up if that helps.   

bFUluGS.jpg

Steve, although I was looking to see if there was rust colored tomentum or indument on the "back", this shot just confirms to me that is not a Dypsis hovomantsina. Not 100% what it is, but if you compare the leaves to the other hovos, (don't know the exact terms) but you will notice a more "upright keel" to the growth pattern. The fronds on a young hovo are all very tight together. I am still thinking ampansandavae/cerecea/old nauseosa. I do know those palms are WAY more sun sensitive than a hovo.

9 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

Great pictures everyone!  I have 2 of these in my yard. Since I am limited with space (1/2 acre) I am not planting many duplicate palms but I made an exception for Dypsis Hovomantsina!  My most recent planting was this 10 gallon:

IMG_0478.thumb.JPG.2680ea170b55d3380d1e4

happily in the ground:

IMG_0480.thumb.JPG.225b11af2f3c8288e95dc

sorry for the bad lighting on those pictures caused by the afternoon position of the sun. 

Heres another picture that shows some other palms in the area:

IMG_0551.thumb.JPG.f9683eea2ac6ddfaa7a71

So Jason, hows it feel to pass 3-5 years of growth in a So Cal garden in 6 months? :rolleyes:  Looking great dude!!

1 hour ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Steve, although I was looking to see if there was rust colored tomentum or indument on the "back", this shot just confirms to me that is not a Dypsis hovomantsina. Not 100% what it is, but if you compare the leaves to the other hovos, (don't know the exact terms) but you will notice a more "upright keel" to the growth pattern. The fronds on a young hovo are all very tight together. I am still thinking ampansandavae/cerecea/old nauseosa. I do know those palms are WAY more sun sensitive than a hovo.

Good call Bill, I agree, hovo's are such a distinctive palm at any age. The overall shape of the leaves, particularly when small, have an almost oval shape. Like you said, tight leaflet arrangement.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Jason, all your hard work is paying off. What a difference a few months make....GOOD JOB!

Besides, you cheated, and planted a 10 year old hovo straight away. :P

So glad to have your family as my neighbor, lucky yeah?

Tim

Edited by realarch
Misspell
  • Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I love that palm. I have a nice one in So Cal, slow grower initially but picking up speed.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

13 hours ago, Kim said:

:wub: You are not wasting any time or space in your new garden, Jason! Looks fabulous!

Thanks Kim!

8 hours ago, realarch said:

Jason, all your hard work is paying off. What a difference a few months make....GOOD JOB!

Besides, you cheated, and planted a 10 year old hovo straight away. :P

So glad to have your family as my neighbor, lucky yeah?

Tim

Thanks Tim. Yeah I cheated a bit on both of these Hovos but can't go wrong at the prices out here. I'm young but I'm still allfor buying some time when the price is right and the results are such a nice palm! 

Definitely great being neighbors with you guys and getting to look over at your jungle every morning after dropping Mercy off at school! 

10 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

So Jason, hows it feel to pass 3-5 years of growth in a So Cal garden in 6 months? :rolleyes:  Looking great dude!!

I definitely can't complain!! Hope you can see it in person sometime. 

• 4 years later...

How bout a ‘Bump’ ! Boy, this has turned into one beautiful palm four years on since one of the 2018 posts above. What great habit and color, thought it was worth an update.

Tim

4B71C8C6-A30D-4DE1-93C1-567B8EBFCC2E.jpeg

6A49E1C5-5F7C-40F8-A485-0459624FCBBE.jpeg

3CFCE99F-2D90-464B-8A9F-4FDE164DECE0.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

1 minute ago, realarch said:

thought it was worth an update.

Absolutely thank you for the update what an awesome palm 

T J 

T J 

Stunning, Tim!  I love that soft yellow with the marigold leaf ring. 

Mine is a perfect match! Photos from April. 
FE1E9C8C-C01A-4CFE-84C6-7CEC385340B6.thumb.jpeg.3e315c1f70ab82b2781285a6cf2bc465.jpeg

9A44E93F-79B2-426E-AF25-068E349CBD58.thumb.jpeg.cd022d27ffdfd013623fcc19c1d3fab2.jpeg

7C61C8B8-4545-491B-B19D-3E00F888AA59.thumb.jpeg.f708bfd130fdcdd1de533cdea74e45da.jpeg

DBF6C939-2AAA-412D-BE0D-8EA5F430F075.thumb.jpeg.06b995f6e2270dda769be867e2486452.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Based solely on Internet photos, Dypsis hovomantsina would be in my Top 3 "Big Boy Dypsis" palms. Everyone in HI should be growing these :wub:

Here's mine (in Southern CA)...

cheetah2.jpg.1c8fde5b7ab5709c42e49cef73876688.jpg

From what I've read in the forums, the chance of mine being a showstopper in my lifetime is next to zero, but it's such a gorgeous palm that I have to at least try. I'd love to see some photos from people growing outside of HI (to give a bit of hope). I know it's embarrassing to post after these amazing pics!

Sounds like quite a few have at least tried it in CA. Does @JubaeaMan138 still have his? Did @BS Man about Palms lose ALL of his D. hovomantsina, or just the largest one? Does @Gtlevine have photos of his? Does @Josh-O still have one? Anyone else have a DH in CA?

Barring proof otherwise, I'm going to assume that all of those perished and mine is officially the largest Dypsis hovomantsina in CA (lol). Prove me wrong!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

Thanks TJ! 

Kim, looking fantastic. I agree about that light cream color, so unusual.

Hang in there Stacey, it just keeps getting better.

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I’m hoping for some lucky break here with mine. Doesn't seem like they are well suited for Florida but I’m taking my swing at it. Been in the ground for about a month. I surrounded it with potted bananas and palms to baby it for the time being. It does get quite a bit of direct sun.209DF142-8D12-4BBF-92E0-EDD21A4397FE.thumb.jpeg.3cd6e3e31362028d6d368b4b24db3d05.jpeg8257A92E-2046-405F-AB4E-2CFF0F312A8E.thumb.jpeg.b582dedd0dcf083698c0cdee34e6116c.jpeg

One month ago obviously not much different.BE1F3E43-8512-42F1-8570-0BCABF05EBFC.thumb.jpeg.0eb2803e49fd49bc7c897a41eacf3d30.jpeg

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, D. Morrowii said:

Been in the ground for about a month...

Wow, that's already recognizable as a D. Hovomantsina (with the vertical orientation and dark brown color)  - nice!

Any idea how many years it was in a pot, before you put it in the ground?

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

53 minutes ago, iDesign said:

Wow, that's already recognizable as a D. Hovomantsina (with the vertical orientation and dark brown color)  - nice!

Any idea how many years it was in a pot, before you put it in the ground?

The guy I bought it from said it was 6 or 7 years old. 

• Like 1