IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Best Day In Life Of A Palm Grower

Dypsisdean

I don't think there is anything better in the life of a palm grower as when you peel away a leaf sheath to finally reveal the first ring of trunk. And the pleasure is directly proportional to how long it took to get to that milestone. Until you have done it, you may not appreciate how satisfying it is.

Here are two palms acquired 15 years ago as small 1 gals. Obviously neither are quick to trunk, but from here on out the next milestone will be when they seed/flower - another long wait, but also right up there on the pleasure meter.

The first is this Dypsis "Big Red." It came by way of Mardy Darian, so no telling exactly what it is. But it is certainly related to Dypsis lastelliana, and starting to get the color after which its name came from. Up unitil now, it was almost a black fuzzed crownshaft - notably different than a "normal" "Red Neck." And it still is only the newly exposed area that has for the first time exhibited this color. The rest of the crownshaft is still almost black.

IMG_3603.jpg

IMG_3602.jpg

IMG_3607.jpg

• Upvote 18

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

The second on the same day was this Marojejya dariani - named after the guy that collected seed of the first one. These are a fairly fast grower for me, but very slow to trunk. It may not look like much, but I was beginning to wonder if I was ever going to see trunk.

There's about 2 or 3 more sheaths that should loosen up in the coming month - finally.

IMG_3608.jpg

IMG_3609.jpg

• Upvote 15

Kona, on The Big Island

Congrats Dean!! I was just talking about you and that Big Red you had over there and wondering how close it was too seeding by now!! Great job on both!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

2 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Congrats Dean!! I was just talking about you and that Big Red you had over there and wondering how close it was too seeding by now!! Great job on both!!

Thanks Bill - I have a few D. lastellianas with over 6 ft of trunk (to the bottom of the crownshaft) and no flowers yet. So, if it is anything like those (which it probably is) don't hold your breath. In fact, I don't know at what point they start flowering.- I don't recall ever seeing one in flower.

Kona, on The Big Island

Sweet!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Nice Dean!  I always enjoy seeing my palms starting to trunk.  Some of my palms I dislike when they flower.  When I look up and I see my Sabals, Livistonias and Queens flowering I just see more work!

test

Thanks for sharing Dean. A beautiful setting for sure!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Awesome!  Drooling over Big Reds since I first saw Len's.   Amazing looking palm.

Just a few weeks ago I cut some dead leaf bases off my very first palm in the ground here.  A Kentia planted in 2012 as a 15 gallon.  

I exposed about 4 rings of trunk.  My first trunking palm on the property.   Such a thrilling day!  I share your excitement.  Congrats. 

...3000th post!

Edited by Hammer
  • Upvote 2

Very nice!  I look forward to the day that one of these incredible palms sets seed so more of us can get our hands on these! 

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

Very nice!  I look forward to the day that one of these incredible palms sets seed so more of us can get our hands on these! 

Amen to that!

Pretty stoked on my Big Red as well! Don Tollefson said it was one of the best palms he has seen! My seed came by way of Alfred! A hundred seed yeilded only a dozen palms! Mine now has quite a bit of trunk! Maybe seven or eight feet of clear ring trunk! It is flowering at the moment with a full open flower and another emerging! Stoked to say the least!

• Upvote 1

Hi Dean!

Both of those palms are stunning and an inspiration to me for sure.

Thanks!

Cindy Adair

I don't think there is anything better in life than waking up and saying, "Wow, I live in Hawaii."

2 hours ago, HiwaKika said:

I don't think there is anything better in life than waking up and saying, "Wow, I live in Hawaii."

Gotta say it's high up on the list!

Dean, that is one beautiful specimen. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Awesome Dean! 

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

I second what Jason said I hope some seed get out there I would love to grow one someday .Great job say hi to Angela from her old friends Adam and Kathy Cheers