IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Looking for Caryota obtusa(gigas) seeds

Mostapha

Hi. I have searched high and low for fresh Caryota obtusa seeds. I have even gone as far as call theme parks that have them planted to see if any have seeded that they would be willing to sell me. Anyone having or access to them, could you please let me know as well as how much you would be willing to sell them for. Even small seedling. Thanks Mark

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to thank both of you very much, I will need to connect with RPS. Again I appreciate your keeping me in mind. Mark

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Well I did place an order with RPS after you guys told me about the Caryota obtussa a seeds, but after 2 months and no contact from them, not even a charge on my card, I cancelled it. I don't know why some places request a min. order but when someone oders min, they get terrible service.

Anyway I did receive 6 fresh seeds from someone after I had placed an order for a couple different Cestrums on eBay. The seller called me to confirm my order ,then while talking I had mention looking for these seeds and he told me that he had just received fresh ones and would include them in my shipment for free. The Cistrums arrived in great condition and the Caryotas were added in. They are already set up to germinate.

Mark

• Upvote 1

I know after all of this waiting and searching..now watch they will pop up on places like ebay, Etsy, or anywhere else on line.

I have them set up for germination now, waiting very patiently.

• 3 weeks later...

Did your caryota seeds ever germinate? We also ordered from rare palm seed, after a month or so we did finally receive our seed (freshness not too sure) since I know they were in transit for over 5 weeks. Are you still looking for anymore? How are your 6 doing?

Well, currently they are in coco coir on the heat mat waiting. The dimple where the embryo is a little sunken in, so they aren't as fresh as I would have like either, but I'm hoping. Never give up.

If I could find more Iwould jump on them. I even called Disney, and different botanical gardens looking in hopes of finding some. Amazing how many people work in these places that don't seen to know squat about the palms they maintain.

I will keep you posted, and hope you will do the same. Best of luck to you on yours.

Thanks Mark

3 hours ago, PalmMom007 said:

Did your caryota seeds ever germinate? We also ordered from rare palm seed, after a month or so we did finally receive our seed (freshness not too sure) since I know they were in transit for over 5 weeks. Are you still looking for anymore? How are your 6 doing?

I have some caryota obtusa seed that I received from RPS about six weeks ago they have been in my germination area for about four weeks with nothing. It took almost six weeks to get them after I placed the order. I’m sure these came from the same batch you would of gotten. I’ve got a couple of 25 gallon caryota obtusa’s also but don’t have any pics of them. 

29D05C8F-37C5-40BC-8043-787490D806A1.jpeg

• Upvote 1

You'll have to keep us posted with updates. I'm hoping that something happens with at least one of the 6 that I have, or otherwise back to the big hunt again. Either way I'm still looking for seeds or seedlings. 

A s you can see I did a quote the other day and don't know how to remove it, so hopefully it goes away. 

Thanks Mark

On 7/31/2018, 4:20:56, PalmMom007 said:

On 2.08.2018, 03:55:51, Cbigler said:

I have some caryota obtusa seed that I received from RPS about six weeks ago they have been in my germination area for about four weeks with nothing. It took almost six weeks to get them after I placed the order. I’m sure these came from the same batch you would of gotten. I’ve got a couple of 25 gallon caryota obtusa’s also but don’t have any pics of them. 

29D05C8F-37C5-40BC-8043-787490D806A1.jpeg

@Cbigler - where can you buy such flower pots, as in your photo?

1 hour ago, Ilovepalm said:

@Cbigler - where can you buy such flower pots, as in your photo?

I get them from stuewe and sins in Oregon. I’m in Florida so shipping is very expensive the ones in my picture is the cone-Tainer sc10. They have a ton of great products and will sell in small quantity. I usually order a pallets worth. I’ve also seen someone in Texas selling them on eBay. 

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Well the Caryota gigas seeds have had no movement at all, but will give them more time.

But, like I had said previously, I looked high and low for them, and once I found them they would pop up everywhere for sale. They did, a place in Thailand, that I could get shipped to me without problem. What I purchased were 7 sprout at $3 each. Anything over $20 is free shipping. The man sent me 10 and I had them here in 14 days. They are nice and definitely Caryota gigas. Great root systems and appear to be very healthy. Tomorrow I will post pics for all to see.

Will be ordering again from this seller as he has a great deal of germinated sprouts from rare palms to cycads.

Thanks, Mark

Edited by Mostapha

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Mostapha,

My name is Markus, I am a German and my Filipino wife and I own a lot at Palawan/Philippines where I am working on our tropical dream garden. I am looking forward to grow at least one Caryota obtusa palm. Can you please provide me with the details of the person where you got seeds and seedlings from Thailand so that I will be able to contact the seller.

My email address is       helfenbein_markus(at)hotmail.com.

Thanks and Kind Regards,

Markus