IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Anyone growing Archontophoenix alexandrae in pots? Please tell yoyr tips!

cisco

Do you have Archontophoenix alexandrae in a pot? Please let me know your tips. My seedlings are one year old. So far so good. What about the future. What does he want? I'm grateful for all the advice.

20180321_235931.jpg

• Upvote 5

Mine Alexandrae  is already 12 year old, from seed, germinated by me in 2006.

I started my palm obsession with KingPalm. 

Nothing special for it: As much light as you can offer to it, no too much water when still seedling (I used regular tap water, but leached every summer), avoid increasing acidity of the soil. I almost killed him when I added blood meal and humus in the same time.

ArchAlex1.jpg

ArchAlex2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 7

• 3 weeks later...

2 years ago I bought a bunch of seedlings off ebay, I think it was 50 of them.  I put some in a single pot, doubled and tripled some, then split the rest among 2 pots.  They stayed outside in the summer then when lows started getting into the 40's I brought them inside into a sunroom with a lot of windows.  Inside the temperatures are in the 60's to mid 70's.  I haven't done anything special to them other than water, which in the summer heat is every few days or so.  Inside in the winter I have probably watered once a month with a pretty good drenching in the sink.  A few times during the summer I gave them some water soluble palm fertilizer.

I have only lost a few due to neglect (mostly dried up) but over all have been surprised at how well they have done.  Last summer I separated some and replanted.  They were almost bare root by the time I separated them and all transplanted well.  None seemed to experience shock except for a period of no growth.  Right now they range from 1' to 3.5'.  I am guessing the growth depends on the side of the pot because the ones that have taken off are all in larger pots. 

They have been pretty easy and handled dry soil during the winter.  I do have a humidifier and ceiling ran running. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

• 1 year later...

Update. My Archontophoenix alexandrae today. What a lovely palms they are and very easy to take care. They are 2,5 years old now from seeds. Thank you very much for your tips! I'm very happy! I think my palms is too. 

20190909_003348.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Hi All! I have an Archintophoenix since 1 year, in a pot. During the summer is quite easy to decide the watering as they get easily dry, but during the winter I don’t really know how much water to be given. Any tips please? Furthermore, some leaves are becoming brown 

They hate dry soil. And it's useful to give them artificial light (no matter growlight or simply strong LED bulb from Tokmanni) in our nordic winter with days of 5.30 lenth. ))

PS Check mites.

Edited by Antti

• 5 months later...

Hey all,

I ordered a bunch of archo alex seedlings in the mail and potted them all. They are all under artificial light but half seem to be doing well and the other half are browning and leaves getting "crispy" . They are all watered at least once a week. The lights don't heat up and the room is on avg 78 degrees Not sure why half are having issues. Any advice or tips? salvageable or too late?

PXL_20210619_181003836.MP.jpg

I am sorry,  the seedlings from this picture are all doomed.  They will not recover. My opinion, too wet soil and too acidic. From my observations, archo alex seedlings in this stage like some dolomite in their substrate.  They look very wet at the surface, imagine how they are at the bottom of the pot.

Sorry, I know the disappointment you feel. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2019 at 11:45 AM, cisco said:

Update. My Archontophoenix alexandrae today. What a lovely palms they are and very easy to take care. They are 2,5 years old now from seeds. Thank you very much for your tips! I'm very happy! I think my palms is too. 

20190909_003348.jpg

Cristi, your potted palms look fantastic. Even though they are considered invasive on this side of the island, they are still beautiful palms., In east Hawaii they grow so fast, I never even considered them as potted specimens. Great job.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii