IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My jamaican/Atlantic tall seedling is about to kick the bucket..

GottmitAlex

But the losses have not been that bad, considering the survivors.

20180701_122453.jpg

• Upvote 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

They look great Alex! I bought a roll of silver roof insulation which I use to reflect sunlight onto my coconut palm in the cooler months. I put a stake into the ground behind the palm and one either side and then ran the reflective silver insulation from one side to the back of the palm then back out to the other side. It focuses any sunlight directly onto the palm from behind in addition to  the actual light it gets from the sun shining onto the front of the palm. It not only makes it brighter but much warmer. It worked well for me in the winter months,  I was quick to remove it when the temps began to warm up so I wouldn't fry my palm but for around 10 weeks it was great, not sure if it would be useful to you but thought I'd share it in case mate.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, sandgroper said:

They look great Alex! I bought a roll of silver roof insulation which I use to reflect sunlight onto my coconut palm in the cooler months. I put a stake into the ground behind the palm and one either side and then ran the reflective silver insulation from one side to the back of the palm then back out to the other side. It focuses any sunlight directly onto the palm from behind in addition to  the actual light it gets from the sun shining onto the front of the palm. It not only makes it brighter but much warmer. It worked well for me in the winter months,  I was quick to remove it when the temps began to warm up so I wouldn't fry my palm but for around 10 weeks it was great, not sure if it would be useful to you but thought I'd share it in case mate.

I love the idea Dave! I'll be sure to procure some for winter!

Thank you

• Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

• 7 months later...
On 3/20/2018 at 6:17 PM, GottmitAlex said:

Checking out the five coconuts in the narrow garden strip, the one which gets the least amount of sunlight is dying. Reminiscent of my late green Malaya dwarf which perished last year of root rot is this jamaican tall seedling presenting the same symptoms: pronounced penciling, mushy, waxy feel on the leaves and the spear is very wobbly.

Any help/pointers is appreciated. 

The other four coconuts seem very healthy.

Here are the pictures:

20180320_145826.jpg
20180320_145815.jpg
20180320_145801.jpg
20180320_145810.jpg
20180320_145753.jpg
20180320_145747.jpg
upload images to web

ever figured out what happened?If you zoom in your 1st pic you can see them in between the fronds

Edited by JANAIY