IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Some nice Phoenix roebelenii hybrids; P. roebelenii x ???

Eric in Orlando

These Phoenix palms are growing at the front of a large wholesale nursery just east of Eustis, FL (about 34 miles NW of Orlando). There are planted with some  Phoenix roebelenii specimens. These hybrids most likely have P. roebelenii as a parent but not sure what else is crossed in. The P. roebelenii have some cold damage from this past Jan ,they probably had 26-27F in that area. But these hybrids had no damage. They are great specimens.

ph1.jpg

ph2.jpg

ph3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I'm still holding my breath for a cross with phoenix theophrasti...

• Upvote 4

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I had heard someone had one.  Maybe from @Phoenikakias?

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

1 hour ago, kinzyjr said:

I had heard someone had one.  Maybe from @Phoenikakias?

I had given once a couple of seedlings to someone in the southern states. But I am not sure whether they were actually hybrids or genuine roebelenii. It had proven that because of my inexperience many resulted seedlings from this particular crossing effort were actually nothing more but pure roebelenii, because I had not prevented effectively a contamination with roebelenii's pollen. Other seedlings from the same seed batch were indeed hybrids according to a testimony of a certain person, whom I shared the seeds with. I can only tell with certainty, based on repeated failures (well mainly) of crossing efforts using theophrasti's pollen, that achieving a viable hybrid seed is quite difficult and a rare occasion. Not unprecedented though, as I have come recently across the information that it is also impossible to produce viable hybrid seeds when a dactylifera is pollinated by pusilla. Last year's effort to cross pollinate my roebelenii with theophrasti ended in only a dozen (or less) seemingly viable seeds. Given the very low number, my initial thought had been another unwilling contamination by roebelenii's pollen. The following example of Erik however, who has achieved only two up to now developing fruits on a whole inflorescence through a crossing effort using nucifera's pollen, gives me additional hope that also this handful of seeds are indeed hybrids. Nobody could blame Erik for not having protected effectively the female flowers from contamination by unwanted pollen. All those seeds have been given away to one person, whose name I am not going to reveal. He may came forward on his own, if he wishes to. Currently I grow three seedlings as the result of an effort to cross loureiroi with theophrasti's pollen. Those three seedlings are the total result of my crossing effort!

• Upvote 1

Ever seen any P. roebelenii x acaulis? I would like to find something that has the same general proportions as a regular roebelenii but with cold hardiness.  Since most acaulis I've seen in the US appear to me to be larger hybrids, I'm thinking that crossing a roebelenii with the local (relatively speaking) acaulis might produce the desired plant.

Edited by Austinpalm

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

1 hour ago, Phoenikakias said:

I had given once a couple of seedlings to someone in the southern states. But I am not sure whether they were actually hybrids or genuine roebelenii. It had proven that because of my inexperience many resulted seedlings from this particular crossing effort were actually nothing more but pure roebelenii, because I had not prevented effectively a contamination with roebelenii's pollen. Other seedlings from the same seed batch were indeed hybrids according to a testimony of a certain person, whom I shared the seeds with. I can only tell with certainty, based on repeated failures (well mainly) of crossing efforts using theophrasti's pollen, that achieving a viable hybrid seed is quite difficult and a rare occasion. Not unprecedented though, as I have come recently across the information that it is also impossible to produce viable hybrid seeds when a dactylifera is pollinated by pusilla. Last year's effort to cross pollinate my roebelenii with theophrasti ended in only a dozen (or less) seemingly viable seeds. Given the very low number, my initial thought had been another unwilling contamination by roebelenii's pollen. The following example of Erik however, who has achieved only two up to now developing fruits on a whole inflorescence through a crossing effort using nucifera's pollen, gives me additional hope that also this handful of seeds are indeed hybrids. Nobody could blame Erik for not having protected effectively the female flowers from contamination by unwanted pollen. All those seeds have been given away to one person, whose name I am not going to reveal. He may came forward on his own, if he wishes to. Currently I grow three seedlings as the result of an effort to cross loureiroi with theophrasti's pollen. Those three seedlings are the total result of my crossing effort!

Thanks for sharing your experience.  It will take at least another 5 years until I have any mature theophrasti to even attempt this.  I have 11 mature phoenix roebelenii that polinate and reproduce, so at least that much is covered.

Lakeland, FL

8 hours ago, Opal92 said:

I'd guess those are part P. reclinata or P. loureiori- maybe more so on the latter.

If those are P. loureiroi x roebelinii, I hope mine turn out like those.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

19 hours ago, Opal92 said:

I'd guess those are part P. reclinata or P. loureiori- maybe more so on the latter.

I don't think there is any P. reclinata in them. All 3 specimens are double trunks but no suckering.

Phoienix loureiroi is a great palm. I would love to see it crossed with P. rupicola.

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

19 hours ago, Opal92 said:

Maybe the specimens in the second from top picture, because it seems having shorter fronds. Loureiroi is reported to have no longer fronds than 2 mt. Hard to imagine so, how a hybrid between loureiroi and roebelenii can have fronds longer than 2 mt, while both parents have shorter fronds. But again hybridization unleashes sometimes suppressed genes. I just don't find it probable because of this.

Hmm...I had previously dismissed Phoenix species, but now 'm learning about some rather attractive Phoenix species in this thread. Carry on...:yay:

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

• 5 months later...

My roebelenii x dactylifera hybrid has produced for the first time fruits, which begin to ripen. I thought it would be helpful to share some pictures of the ripening fruits with the purpose to serve as an additional id tool for hybrids of unknown origin.

20180831_145043.thumb.jpg.9c3a8dfd06a086

20180909_105007.thumb.jpg.c4ca86fe6691ae

20180909_104909.thumb.jpg.6ed4fcdfdc6f85

Edited by Phoenikakias
  • Upvote 4

On 3/19/2018, 9:19:15, Opal92 said:

Loureiroi x roebelenii hybrids have pronounced microscopic hooks on the midrib of the leaflets. 

On 3/19/2018, 10:55:45, Austinpalm said:

Ever seen any P. roebelenii x acaulis? I would like to find something that has the same general proportions as a regular roebelenii but with cold hardiness.  Since most acaulis I've seen in the US appear to me to be larger hybrids, I'm thinking that crossing a roebelenii with the local (relatively speaking) acaulis might produce the desired plant.

As a general rule  in the Phoenix hybrids the pollen donor defines rather their phenotype. Two hybrid types with roebelenii as pollen donor have loose fronds like roebelenii while roelenii x dactylifera hybrids (this time roebelenii in the role of mother) have foliage (and fruits) reminiscent of dactylifera.

• Upvote 1

On 3/20/2018, 5:53:06, iwan said:

If those are P. loureiroi x roebelinii, I hope mine turn out like those.

Do (or did of they are older) yours look like those ones?

20180909_190802.thumb.jpg.e67c629469909520180909_190807.thumb.jpg.bd140e90a8c3ad

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

As a general rule  in the Phoenix hybrids the pollen donor defines rather their phenotype. Two hybrid types with roebelenii as pollen donor have loose fronds like roebelenii while roelenii x dactylifera hybrids (this time roebelenii in the role of mother) have foliage (and fruits) reminiscent of dactylifera.

First one is an f1 roebelenii x dactylifera

20180909_190942.thumb.jpg.54e2eec994cab8

Second one is an f1 reclinata x roebelenii

20180909_190838.thumb.jpg.2ca45fab756cf4

Now which one is closer to roebelenii in appearance?

• Upvote 3

On 9/9/2018, 8:00:59, Phoenikakias said:

If the phenotype is more reminiscent of the pollen donor, how does cold hardiness relate to the mother or pollen donor? Does that tend to relate to one or the other more or is it just a crap shoot?

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

8 hours ago, Austinpalm said:

If the phenotype is more reminiscent of the pollen donor, how does cold hardiness relate to the mother or pollen donor? Does that tend to relate to one or the other more or is it just a crap shoot?

We need more experiments to conduct (and repete) in order to have a safe answer.  So I can only restrict myself to personal experience. Roebelenii x dactylifera is for sure more cold tolerant than pure roebelenii. During a 2013 light freeze, my mature robelenii plants got some spots on some leaves, while 5 small outplanted hybrids remained unscathed. In Italy, Naples, some years ago occured a dip in temperature to about -5 C (dry, without rain or snow), whereby some loureiroi x roebelenii seedlings perished (especially those with the floppiest leaves). This is all I can contribute as information. In my climate such cold spells are very rare and therefore my hybrids have noy been subjected up to now to a real crash test, and I am very glad about, I have to admit.

• Upvote 1

roebelenii hybrids, with more cold resistant species, are perfect for those who can not grow pure roebeleni

in January 2017 we had - 5.6 degrees celsius, roebeleni in the garden are dead, but roebelenii in the pots sheltered by a shed are not dead, even if leaves are burned

• Upvote 1

GIUSEPPE

18 hours ago, gyuseppe said:

roebelenii hybrids, with more cold resistant species, are perfect for those who can not grow pure roebeleni

in January 2017 we had - 5.6 degrees celsius, roebeleni in the garden are dead, but roebelenii in the pots sheltered by a shed are not dead, even if leaves are burned

Giuseppe, was it the same cold spell that killed also some of your loureiroi x roebelenii seedlings? I had the impression that the lethal cold spell for latter had occured one year earlier. Btw how big had been the roebelenii plants that got killed by the 2017 cold spell? Were they planted in the ground or potted?

in January 2017  ,They're dead  only the roebelenii who were unprotected, roebelenii in gardens and in pots with protection not dead

after many months, at the end of summer nobody seedlings of loureiroi x roebelenii is dead, they are all resurrected! to put new leaves, while plants that did not seem to die, months later they died,,these were:chambeyronia macrocarpa,allagoptera arenaria,archontrophoenix cunninghamiana,Rhopalostylis sapida  and baueri

Edited by gyuseppe
  • Upvote 2

GIUSEPPE

I have phoenix roebelenii x reclinata  and these in winter the leaves are not burned by the cold always look good, only in January 2017 leaves have burned

I have only 1 of phoenix roebelenii x theophrasti and this in January 2017 the leaves are not  burned

• Upvote 3

GIUSEPPE

25 minutes ago, gyuseppe said:

I have phoenix roebelenii x reclinata  and these in winter the leaves are not burned by the cold always look good, only in January 2017 leaves have burned

I have only 1 of phoenix roebelenii x theophrasti and this in January 2017 the leaves are not  burned

Is the roebelenii x theophrasti the result of my first or second crossing attempt? Does it look closer to roebelenii or to theophrasti?

on your first try, will they be 3 or 4 years ago? looks like a mini theophrasti
while roebelenii x reclinata  looks more like roebelenii

GIUSEPPE

10 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

Is the roebelenii x theophrasti the result of my first or second crossing attempt? Does it look closer to roebelenii or to theophrasti?

3 hours ago, gyuseppe said:

on your first try, will they be 3 or 4 years ago? looks like a mini theophrasti
while roebelenii x reclinata  looks more like roebelenii

Sounds like gold has been struck :)

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

7 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

Sounds like gold has been struck :)

I think that all seeds of the second crossing attempt should belong to this crossing. They were only about a dozen and by that time I was in doubt about their identity, as I suspected a contamination (if hand pollination did lead to some fertile seeds, why was not pollinated also the vast majority of the flowers on the same inflorescence?). But after I brought to germination the only three viable seeds from another crossing (loureiroi x theophrasti), seedlings from which have clearly theophrasti traits (very rigid, succulent leaves), I have changed my mind also about the former seeds. Below one seedling from latter crossing, it is only 9 months old.

20180913_083732.thumb.jpg.cfe2d81b732290

• Upvote 5