IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

HELP is needed from a Beginner

mrmail2000

Hello everyone!

I came across this board and was very intrigued by it and have spent a few minutes browsing...

Let me start with some background on me and my area.

I bought my house in North Carolina  last year after living in NJ for the past 38. I had a built in pool installed and would love to get a few palm trees for the yard . I decided to go to Ebay  to look for seed. After purchasing about 20 seeds. I planted the seeds in Miracle grow potting soil and not one took.( I have since found out that Miracle grow wasn't the way to go.. AnyWay,

I am looking for the right species for my yard.

The average temp during the Winter

's about 22 F, some times is has dipped to below 15F. Summer about 88F for an average. The soil in my area ,because of the proximity to the Blue Ridge Mountains, Is red "clayish" . Being new the Palm Trees I have done some reasearch, but the number of available species is overwhelming !! I would ike the idea size to be 10-20 feet tall. I have seen some palms in the center of town, so I am sure with some work,They can grow.

Any IDEAS?????

Thanks

Alright here is what you can proberly grow there , i did not check the zone map but it is most likely zone 8 are close, anyway here is a list ,   sabal palmetto,trachycarpus fortunei,  buta capitata, chamaerops humlis, brahea armata,  sabal minor,  washingtonia filifera,  sabal texana, jubela chilensis,  phoenix canariensis, washingtonia robusta, there are more but these are good to start with,

Needle palm, Rhapidophyllum hystrix should thrive, and it would go nicely with the great native Appalachian flora.  One simple way to get an exotic look would be to plant a big-leaved deciduous Magnolia macrophylla or M. tripetala. I think UNC Asheville has a nice arboretum that can provide ideas.  So can gardens at UNC Chapel Hill and NC State at Raleigh.  

Butia and Trachycarpus may work.  I would avoid Washingtonia, which isn't entirely reliable in Jacksonville, Florida, much less Tallahassee.  Sabal minor should grow nicely.

Yucca gloriosa, a South Carolina native, is hardy in Yorkshire, England, so it should give you a nice coastal look.  There's also species of Nolina worth looking into.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Dear MRMail 2000,

My humble request is for the time being start collecting palms or plants that are grown and easily avaliable in nurseries and shopping malls.because raising plants from seeds are not a cup of tea to starters or beginers.it is a laborous task..

Greenhand has given an complete list of exocitic palms,try buying these palms every 3 months one variety,the size & duration depends on your budget.Kindly go to the nursery with this list in hand and take a view on these lovely creatures.and ask for their price.note it down and plan how to go around buying it !

And dear bigFrond those links are terrefic i have never visited those sites before.and request members to repeat this time and again,because our forum is getting new members & guest daily.i insist all palm growers must visit these sites.every time spent on is worth while_a big thank-you to you.

And iam shure mrmail that you have asked the right questions in the right forum.And hope all the members would be of use to you in the quest for exocitic palm collection.

All the best. :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Mr Mail, I lived in Western NC for 10 years (Asheville, Wolf Laurel and Mooresville) .  What town are you in?  The areas west of Shelby and Statesville are pretty cold in the winter.  You should have good success with Needle Palm, Sabal minor and maybe, Trachycarpus fortunei (Windmill).  Just about anything else is a crap shoot.  You will have many nights below 25 degrees in the winter.  Few palms tolerate that.  The Windmill palms typically begin to suffer as temps fall below 10F (you will probably experience that most winters unless you are near Uptown Charlotte which has a nice microclimate).  Temperatures below zero are not unheard of and you may find that your all time record might be -5 to -10F.  The cold air pouring off those mountains can be rather amazing.

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Yes, I agree as well, I would definitely start with Trachycarpus Fortunei.  If you want to push your zone, you could try Sabal Palmetto or Butia Capitata, but both of those would probably not be completely hardy.  Although they may surprise you for a good number of years and do well, especially if you had a run of mild winters.  I would stay away from Washingtonia in 7b.  I would suggest a Washingtonia Filifera for a desert like or dryer 7b climate, but not a humid southeast 7b.

But, the Trachys can look very nicely, especially when planted in groups around a pool, IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

mrmail!

You're NEW.

But cool.

Tell us more, about your garden, or whatever . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts....ta.html

Yucca rostrata info from NC State University, an ag school that's developed an excellent arboretum as North Carolina's landscape nursery industry has boomed.  I think it's now a bigger part of the state's ag economy than tobacco.  

NCSU should have lots of useful info.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us