Sign in to follow this  
Xenon

Houston Bismarckia

Xenon

I think they look better than the queens 

5aac2a946ce60_20180315_162126(1).thumb.j5aac2a96ea89a_20180315_162212(1).thumb.j20180315_162104.thumb.jpg.6b79a1eb894b0f20180315_162713.thumb.jpg.6543e884f7ffec

• Upvote 4

Really full garden

It looks like I see some new growth ?

Xerarch

Bizzy’s quite a bit tougher than previously given credit for. 

• Upvote 1

necturus

Those guys are in a great spot. The real test will be the ones near me. If they make it while more of the queens nearby give up the ghost, then they really are the king.

TexasColdHardyPalms

Bizzy > Queens. True Story.

Sandy Loam

This is news to me:  Bismarckia Nobilis can take more cold than a Syagrus Romanzoffiana?  Even if the damage is worse to the Queen Palm's fronds, isn't the bud hardier in the queen palm? 

I don't know the answer to this question, but someone out there might know.

I thought I had read somewhere that Bismarckia were dead if your temperatures dropped below 22 F, whereas a queen can tolerate lower temperatures briefly.  

TexasColdHardyPalms
37 minutes ago, Sandy Loam said:

This is news to me:  Bismarckia Nobilis can take more cold than a Syagrus Romanzoffiana?  Even if the damage is worse to the Queen Palm's fronds, isn't the bud hardier in the queen palm? 

I don't know the answer to this question, but someone out there might know.

I thought I had read somewhere that Bismarckia were dead if your temperatures dropped below 22 F, whereas a queen can tolerate lower temperatures briefly.  

My three small bismarckia in the ground didnt burn at 19 while the arenga engleri 15 foot away sustained 85% burn. The arenga is on the south side and more protected.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• kinzyjr
      By kinzyjr
      This topic is started to document the cold damage, or hopefully lack thereof, due to the cold spell. 
      Initially, it looks like most of the damage done locally was due to frost.  As you get outside of town, the damage can get pretty severe on the "high-9b/low-10a" palms that have become more common due to the advent of Lethal Bronzing.  I'll begin with this photo I captured west of the airport on Medulla Rd.  The damage didn't even wait for the warmup to manifest.  For my own garden, I'm going to wait until it warms up to do my report.  There may be palms that look undamaged now that will show damage after the next three days go over 80F.   There may also be palms that appear to have light damage that have more extensive damage than shows at first.
      @GoatLockerGuns was kind enough to compile his results from the Texas 2021 freeze in a spreadsheet that was easy to import into the Cold Hardiness Master Data.  If you'd like to do this as well, I can assist if necessary.

• Xerarch
      By Xerarch
      Nicest Aceolorrhaphe wrightii I have noticed, all survived but this is the only one I’ve seen where the existing trunks survived, even a big one on the island died to the ground and started regrowing. There were only ever a handful around to begin with that I’m aware of. 

• Dimimelbourne
      By Dimimelbourne
      Hey palm pals,
      my tiny flame thrower was doing pretty well until recently when it started to pop out a spear tip which looked to be burnt. I thought maybe it was from a pest as I know there are quite a few lurking around my patio. I sprayed the palm and have been staying on to of that but the emerging tip hasn’t grown at all in some weeks. I hope it isn’t dead.
       I repotted it after it seemed to have stunted and that’s when it started pushing out this new spear which seemed like a positive sign. Could it be from the cold? It’s middle of winter here and we have had some cold nights… no freezes though but has been close.

• BamaPalmer
      By BamaPalmer
      It looks as though nature (or Divine Providence) is sparing the Miami-Lauderdale, FL area "Is-Aye-Ee-Ahs"  That is a nice way to begin August!  I guess that this is a temporary "reprieve" though as the next 60-70 days are a virtual shooting gallery in the Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico!
      I wish all our palm-loving, palm nurturing & growing members the very best of wishes (and freedom from bad storms) during this stressful season ahead.
      It kind of makes up a portion of my mind that asks itself: "what do I most fear as a threat to keeping my palmy landscape intact?"  Is in tropical cyclone season, or is it winter with it's potentially fatal, or at least damaging freeze/frost events?  I tend to lean towards fearing winter's cold more, because it seems more likely to get a bad cold spell than a hurricane.  What do you all think?  Which type of weather peril brings more shivers down your spine: cold waves or really bad storms?  
      Regards, Andy.

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      So we got down to 12°F a few days ago and now it has warmed up and we are currently in the low 60s and yesterday was in the low 60s as well. My Butia bought simply as a "Pindo Palm" from Lowes in the Spring shows little damage so far. The only damage I can see is a bit of browning on parts of the oldest leaves and a spot here or there on the "middle aged" leaves. The newest ones look fine so far. I will keep everyone updated, but I expected to see more damage and sooner. One of my other smaller ones got burned pretty badly, about 60% defoliation. As for the one that is showing little signs of damage, I must have gotten a pretty tough one. None of my palms were given any protection. This is just Southwest of Richmond, VA.