IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rare, Angiopteris evecta tree fern.

Palm crazy

Can anyone tell me what type of growing condition Angiopteris evecta needs to be happy? Sun, shade?

How many leaves does it produce in a year? 

Can it be grown in a large pot?

Thanks! :D

• Upvote 2

Mine is planted in the garden and probably puts out 8-10 fronds per year. These turn into monsters here in the tropics. I imagine keeping one in a pot could help maintain it to a manageable size for some time. 

• Upvote 2

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Thanks, Scott, I did read that in cooler climates they don't grow as big. I just hope my weather isn't to cool since they are supposed to be slow growing.  8-10 fronds per year, that's more than I thought it would grow. When I get one I will show pics. Maybe in another week. :D It's being shipped from FL totally stripped of leaves and with bare roots so will need some time to recover.  Hard for me to imagine this beautiful fern being invasive but it can be in the tropics. 

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Like 2

They grow fast as adults but slower when young. Do you plan on growing it outside?

• Upvote 1

rare flowering trees, palms and other exotics

1 hour ago, Scott Cohen said:

They grow fast as adults but slower when young. Do you plan on growing it outside?

Will be in the greenhouse for a few months until late May after that will go outside in part shade for the summer. In early November will be inside a building that stays around 50-55F all the time with just a grow light bulb. I hope it does good for me. 

• Like 1

Hey I got the fern in the mail today, actually came from HI, so it arrived early. 

There was one little root just starting so thankful to see that. Growing condition is 75F to 90F so it will most likely only grow new roots first do to lower temperature here at the moment. Super excited to see how this thing does for me. 

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I think you have planted it too deep.No deeper than the lowest leaf base IMO.

• Upvote 1

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

34 minutes ago, scottgt said:

I think you have planted it too deep.No deeper than the lowest leaf base IMO.

Thanks for the help! Will take some of the soil off it. Suppose to get some rain tomorrow so that should help settle the soil down some also.  Thanks! :D 

• Like 1

Very good sized plant for mail order .. seen these growing in habitat in a few places .

On Fraser Island they were submerged in a sandy creek. 

In tropics they were everywhere .. have seen them clump up ..superb triple crown one in local BotGdn  

triple.angioptrs.2.JPG

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

14 hours ago, aussiearoids said:

Very good sized plant for mail order .. seen these growing in habitat in a few places .

On Fraser Island they were submerged in a sandy creek. 

In tropics they were everywhere .. have seen them clump up ..superb triple crown one in local BotGdn  

triple.angioptrs.2.JPG

That must be awesome to see these majestic ferns in the wild. I got the xl one for a pretty good price too. Now just need some heat, LOL! 

• Upvote 1

I have a small one that I gave up on 2 years ago but came back to life last spring. That motivated me to try a larger one last spring. It put out 2 leaves from a bare root like yours and has not defoliated down to 38 degrees this winter. Both are kept outside all winter and both get a half day of filtered sun. Hopefully they will green up and put out a couple more leaves this summer.

DSCN2351.JPG

DSCN2348.JPG

DSCN2349.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

MLW

Looking good Mwardow. 

Hopefully, mine won't take that long to grow but if it does it will be worth the wait. I plan on putting my inside a shed with very little light in winter just a 60 watt grow light. The temperature in the building is 55F day and night for 5 months hopefully that will keep it alive. I also keep my tender aloes and bromeliads in the same shed and they do ok. 

Thank you for sharing your plant photos. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2020 at 11:09 PM, greysrigging said:

Very good video.  When mine gets bigger I will try that.  Just planted it out this year.  Still have the palmiformis in a pot but need to find a good spot or just pot it up til next year.

• 3 months later...

Found a large specimen ( the owner actually has 3 growing in the ground ) at a local nursery out at Humpty Doo.
Angiopteris evecta.

117371783_303435400906959_7903400222017639101_n.jpg

117709779_876636679531186_118745081925674120_n.jpg

117767780_525960524841825_2658705554857523193_n.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Recently saw a pic taken by professional photographer of a massive 1 in national park near me .. base was  5' tall with a heap of fronds over 25' long.

95538733_2547389502029675_1626432766998478848_o.jpg

Edited by aussiearoids
adding image
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

follow Steve on facebook   some outstanding images 

On 8/15/2020 at 7:22 PM, greysrigging said:

Found a large specimen ( the owner actually has 3 growing in the ground ) at a local nursery out at Humpty Doo.
Angiopteris evecta.

Is that the one at Arnhem Nursery? They moved theirs some years ago. I wondered whether it would survive at its size, but they do flood everything when they irrigate.

11 hours ago, aussiearoids said:

Recently saw a pic taken by professional photographer of a massive 1 in national park near me .. base was  5' tall with a heap of fronds over 25' long.

I've seen some really big ones in Carnarvon Gorge and Mossman Gorge, but not quite that big.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tropicbreeze said:

Is that the one at Arnhem Nursery? They moved theirs some years ago. I wondered whether it would survive at its size, but they do flood everything when they irrigate.

Yep, one of 3 they have. My son bought me one for my birthday  from them a few months back. Its going great atm and I'll plant it out once the 'wet' sets in.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Has anyone tried this fern in a zone 9?  I'm sure it would get frozen back, but I'm curious as to whether it would grow back or if the cold would kill it outright.  Not a lot of hardiness info online.  I am just south of Houston and have a good spot for one, but want to see if I'm setting myself up for failure.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have any information on hardiness, but in Hawaii these grow rapidly to impressive size. The local name here is mule foot ferns. Along the Hamakua coast north of Hilo they are becoming invasive weeds. Akaka Falls State Park has been completely blanketed with them.Tourists think iIt looks very cool, but from an invasive weed perspective, it is a disaster. Which is true for many ornamentals that have escaped cultivation in Hawaii.. They produce gazillions of spores that can travel long distances. I live south of Hilo where the ground is solid lava, so much less inviting to these guys. I've planted maybe a half dozen on my 3 acres. They go from 1 gallon pots to 20 ft wide adults in only a few years. So far I have not noticed any babies sprouting up. Fingers crossed. The only problem these guys have is drying out if we go two weeks without rain. They really like it wet. Once a frond begins to wilt, it's a goner. The rest of the plant will recover once it rains, but I have to cut away the dead fronds as if they had been hit by frost. All that said, I love these ferns. Exceptionally exotic and tropical. Definitely dinosaur habitat. 

1923113977_mulefootfernJan2021-1.thumb.jpeg.6a00856bf857c87968f3e135bc431610.jpeg

• Like 3

Nothing like it in the world, seeing them in their natural habitat.....:drool:( in the ranges behind Babinda, Far North Queensland )
140576380_196975435473680_7232672163701071133_n.thumb.jpg.eda019cc778f5cd149043804bdf4d53a.jpg
142172610_251747199765485_3797799721342303741_n.thumb.jpg.cfe801afbc65bb6927a36ff1c49ce4e9.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know of a Nursery in the USA that is selling Angiopteris evecta tree fern?  I live in USDA zone 11 and I would love to purchase an Angiopteris evecta tree fern but I cannot seem to find anyone selling them. Thanks, Gregg L. Friedman MD

On 3/13/2018 at 2:18 PM, Palm crazy said:

That must be awesome to see these majestic ferns in the wild. I got the xl one for a pretty good price too. Now just need some heat, LOL! 

Does anyone know of a Nursery in the USA that is selling Angiopteris evecta tree fern?  I live in USDA zone 11 and I would love to purchase an Angiopteris evecta tree fern but I cannot seem to find anyone selling them. Thanks, Gregg L. Friedman MD