Sign in to follow this  
masatepino

Palms near Sao Paulo, Brazil

masatepino

Went on a business trip to a very nice place near Sao Paulo, Brazil. Some seeds made it back home, maybe you can help me ID the species:

The first one should be an Acrocomia. But maybe not aculeata. Not so spiny, no spines on the stems, and the seedlings without spines.

acrocomia2.thumb.jpg.e0ef149ad00e026c4aaacrocomia3.thumb.jpg.64c2199927a5d75c304Acrocomia1.thumb.jpg.c37b83882e66e9debf1

acrocomia4.thumb.jpg.d8169c7e06838806a34

The second one is an Attalea.  quite big seeds.

Attalea1.thumb.jpg.3c4b1c968f3db0fe154b0

more photos soon

• Upvote 1

masatepino

The big seeds of Attalea:

attalea2.thumb.jpeg.096e14a1d0d02a9aa2ae

And an interesting smaller palm, maybe Syagrus? Sadly they had no ripe seeds. Any Idea which it might be?

unknown2.thumb.jpg.b5d7f992ed5c8f131d6c6unknown2.thumb.jpg.b5d7f992ed5c8f131d6c6

unknown1.thumb.jpg.7548eef26513c464b574d

• Upvote 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Eric in Orlando
      By Eric in Orlando
      Last Saturday my wife and I went exploring around Lake Alfred and Winter Haven, Florida. This is about 60 miles south of Orlando. First stop in Lake Alfred was the former Lake Alfred Hotel, built in 1913. Nowadays it is a senior assisted living facility. Several specimens of Acrocomia are growing on the grounds. 

• Merlyn2220
      By Merlyn2220
      The below bare root Attalea Cohune just arrived as part of an order from GardenOfDelights nursery, and it's the first tillering palm that I own with a large and very visible heel.  I've potted it up temporarily and will probably put it in the ground in about a month, but I'm not sure about planting depth with a tillering palm.  All the photos I've seen show the heel above ground and the root initiation zone on the vertical trunk section should be planted below ground.  About half of the active roots appear to be coming from the heel, but I didn't take a picture of the bare rooted plant.  Below are three pictures, two showing the root/heel detail as I have it planted, and one with about 0.5" of soil brushed away from the root zone on the trunk.  The horizontal wet line on the third photo is just where I washed away dirt to make the root initiation zone more obvious.  So does this seem like a good planting depth, or should I add or remove a little soil?

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I planted the following three Syagrus species and/or hybrids on my garden lot way back around 2013. I grew most if not all of them from seeds. At one time they were tagged but no longer. I believe one of them (#3) may be S. picrophylla but need confirmation. Nos. 1 & 2 are true unknowns. All of them are smaller and much slower growing than common queens. Nor have they been affected by the fursiarum wilt that killed off all my queens and mules in 2014/15. None of them has flowered yet. They are easy-growing palms that take my climate and soil in stride.
      Syagrus ID #1

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I've been having an e-conversation with @JubaeaMan138 about Attaleas - I have three species - and he asked me to post photos of them. All of these palms will eventually trunk but I may not live to see that. They are surprisingly slow growing even during my long, sweltering summers. They are fairly cold sensitive but as long as their growing points remain below ground they should suffer only cosmetic damage during winter. I wish this genus was more popular with palm lovers but understand most species get quite large for small yards.
      1) Attalea butyracea - I have 2 of these and this is the smaller/younger one on my Garden Lot. The petioles have a speckled "mealybug" look

Attalea cohune - I was given this by a palm lover who had no room to plant it

Attalea phalerata

• Marius
      By Marius
      Hi Everyone
      I need this Syagrus species identified please.  I tried under the "Cold Hardy" heading, but got no replies.  All inputs will be welcomed.
      Thank you