Justin

Palmy sites in Guatemala and/or Belize?

Justin

We're arranging a trip to Guatemala and Belize at the end of this month, and looking for any palm-related places that people recommend.  The tentative itinerary has us around Antigua, Lago Atitlan, Lago Peten Itza (near Tikal) - all in Guatemala, and Placencia, Belize.

Any ideas for excursions to see palms in habitat would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Darold Petty

Justin, you need to ask the Stone Jaguar !  ^_^

Josue Diaz

The forests around Peten Itza have large Sabal (probably mauritiformis, yapa or similar) and Attalea. The Attalea were mostly on the road from the Cobán to Flores and they're easy to spot because they're usually the only plants left when farmers clear the forest for ag. I recall seeing lots of chamaedorea in Tikal also. There's a small bioregion called Cerro Cahuí with a nice trail for bird-watching and I remember seeing palms there also. If you stay at any of those cabin resorts along Petén Itzá, you'll hear howler monkeys at dawn and dusk - makes you feel like you're on the set of Jurassic Park. Also, there's a small, family owned Italian Restaurant called Mon Ami right next to the bioreserve that's run by an Italian couple who moved to Guatemala. 10 out of 10, would recommend. I wish I had become interested in palms earlier so that I could have paid more attention to palms during my semester living there :badday:. I'll see if I can find some photos.  

• Upvote 2

Josue Diaz

No palm photos, but this is from Petén Itzá. Word or caution here is that this lake is habitat for American Crocodiles :o

FB_IMG_1520526560062.thumb.jpg.f23b8714f

And one from Tikal. Regardless of where you go,  you'll love Guatemala. 

FB_IMG_1520526621126.jpg.c32c15225dec29d

• Upvote 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Shoowow
      By Shoowow
      Living in the Azores since 2015 after spending most of my adult life in New England, I've had a chance to explore most of S. Miguel island as a hiking guide. I've also started growing several palms in at quinta minuvida orchard lodge, our business. Most of them are looking pretty good by now.
      Posting here some images of my palm garden, the neighborhood and the island. I've found that pretty much everything grows since the climate is even, with high humidity and rain. I don't fertilize or water any of my palms or fruit trees.
      Please feel free to ask questions.

The Roystonea on the forefront has been on the ground about three years now from 1 gallon container.

Alfie 18 months on the ground from 1 gallon.
      Kentias by the pool. Bought them already large.

One of the Kentias I transplanted 3 years ago from 5 gallon. Growing like crazy.

Yoga in our banana plantation.

Sunset in the neighborhood.

Mountains and waterfalls...

Life is a beach...

On the island's trails.

Palms from around the island.

• Tracy S
      By Tracy S
      I understand the 2020 IPS Biennial will be held in Reunion Island. Do we have firm dates yet? When will the travel details be available?

• doranakandawatta
      By doranakandawatta
      Our new palmetum, Doranakanda Estate in his natural situation, endemic palms are A.concinna and Caryota urens

• Grasswing
      By Grasswing
      Hello everybody,
      Despite that I can't post to Garden galleries I wanna share some photos from czech biggest greenhouse called Fata Morgana. This greenhouse is located in Prague. Link: http://www.botanicka.cz/hlavni-stranka/general-information-en.html?page_id=1186
      Part 1

• Ken Johnson
      By Ken Johnson
      Welcome!

This thread is designed to establish a place where we can meet to talk about PalmTalk and the IPS.

IPAC membership is granted free to anyone that wants to join. We have several members now and we have already made a huge difference for PalmTalk. Last year we helped find members and their stories of how they became members of IPS through finding PalmTalk (PT) online. We presented those stories to the Board of Directors at their meeting in Thailand and help to convince them of the value of PalmTalk to the IPS. After the full presentation of motions to further fund PalmTalk the votes came easily in favor!

_Wal, a fine member from Australia, is in fact interviewing a member now about how he found this place. I have seen some of it and it is very interesting. For sure you will all feel a common bond with Josh.

Now the rest of the members of IPAC will check in a little at a time and tell you more about our efforts. One quick thing. We are a virtual committee. Not assigned by anyone. Our purpose is to help and to have some fun along the way. Please join us for those purposes only. Thanks!