IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Do I have a Fiji Dwarf?

paquicuba

I just saw a post with a bunch of Fiji dwarf coconut trees and since I'm not a palm expert, now I'm wondering whether I have a true Fijian. I do have two "Fiji Coconut trees". I've been growing both of them from seed. The oldest one came from Puerto Rico as a Samoan Dwarf (first picture) two and half years ago and now it's approx 16 feet tall - one thing I have noticed is that it's developing a swollen trunk base (no visible trunk yet) and the fronds are nicely green, which goes in accordance with the Fiji Dwarf variety. The second one I bought it on Ebay from 7_Heads on August of 2016 and sprouted on Nov 2016 - this one is now approx 7 feet tall and came out from a nut that is double the size of a normal coconut, but the fronds are more yellowish. Thanks a lot for your expert opinion!!

IMG_03051.jpg

IMG_03081.jpg

IMG_03091.jpg

Alejandro,

They look really good, but to answer your question, I honestly don't know, since I am not nearly as familiar with the Fiji Dwarf as I am some other varieties.  Hopefully, Keith in Palmetto, FL will chime in here.  I think he knows a lot more about them.  I have a young one that was sent to me by someone in the Pine Island area, but it is still young hasn't had its leaves split into the adult pattern yet, but it does seem to have a fatter trunk like the Fiji Dwarfs do, especially at such a young age and small size.

John

My opinion. First one looks like a tall variety. The second does look like a dwarf. Don't know if it's a Fiji or Malayan though. 

Just my opinion. I am no expert.

• Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

The Fiji dwarf does have a longer overall frond length than the other dwarf cultivars. Hard to tell at this stage.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

First one's not a Fiji Dwarf (sorry). Second one looks good though. I'll attach a pic of mine at about the same size. The variety is distinct in that the leaflets are very close together and seem to stack on top of each other once the tree is large enough. It's hard to see in pictures, but very easy to see in real-life. Also, the Hawaiian strain of Fiji dwarf (called Samoan dwarf over there) has gigantic coconuts that hold up to 2 liters of coconut water in them, so your report on the huge coconut from the second one is consistent with that.

IMG_67641.thumb.jpg.f91723d289f106bcc8cf

• Upvote 2

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

1 hour ago, Zeeth said:

First one's not a Fiji Dwarf (sorry). Second one looks good though. I'll attach a pic of mine at about the same size. The variety is distinct in that the leaflets are very close together and seem to stack on top of each other once the tree is large enough. It's hard to see in pictures, but very easy to see in real-life. Also, the Hawaiian strain of Fiji dwarf (called Samoan dwarf over there) has gigantic coconuts that hold up to 2 liters of coconut water in them, so your report on the huge coconut from the second one is consistent with that.

IMG_67641.thumb.jpg.f91723d289f106bcc8cf

Thanks everyone for your comments. Yes, I agree that the first one is most likely a tall one and the second one really looks very similar to Zeeth's. Let's wait and see how quick they produce seeds to really tell. 

2 hours ago, Moose said:

The Fiji dwarf does have a longer overall frond length than the other dwarf cultivars. Hard to tell at this stage.

I actually thought Fiji had smaller fronds compared to most coconuts, maybe even compared to Malayans, but wider leaflets and more density.

• 11 months later...

I would love to have one of those. Quite easy to protect before and during their first, second and third harvest. They don't require the foliage space the semi-dwarfs and talls do. 

At this stage I would swap my B. alfredii's plot  (in a heartbeat) for a true Fiji dwarf. (please message me if you happen upon one). Danke. 

Here's today's picture of Mein Garten @ 3:00pm PST

20190211_150130.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)