Sign in to follow this  
The Silent Seed

Nypa fruticans anyone?

The Silent Seed

I'd like to hear your stories about Nypa fruticans. Is anybody growing them here in the USA? (I know a couple of botanical gardens probably have some.) 

Also, what's the best way to plant the seeds once they start sprouting, as they start as water floaters? 

Thanks in advance! 

hbernstein

I've grown potted seedlings outside without any trouble. They do like it warm. Always use warm water. Normal temperature tap or well water in most parts of the U.S. during most of the year is way too cold for heat-loving, moisture needy palms (think Cyrtostachys, etc.)

Keep them wet. When ready to plant in ground, don't plant them immersed. Plant them next to the water and let them grow to it. That's how they grow naturally and aren't happy as young plants having their bases constantly under water.

Edited by hbernstein
typo

The Silent Seed

Thank you very much for your insight! 

So, I have some seeds with about 2 or 3 inches of spikes coming out the "top." (Still in a tray of water.) How should I plant them? On their sides, on the surface of the soil, or? 

May I ask for pictures of your setup? 

Thanks! 

• Upvote 1

hbernstein

Mine were planted on their sides, individually, in 8 inch pots. I used a somewhat heavier, more moisture-retentive mix than usual (I tend to use mixes that drain really well). I placed a shallow saucer under each pot and watered them to overflowing everyday. By the next day, there wouldn't be any more standing water left, but the potting mix was still moist. They were getting very bright light or direct sunlight most of the day.

The Silent Seed

Thank you very much! Did you place the seeds on top of the potting mix or bury them? 

I'm guessing, halfway?

Thanks again! 

Edited by santoury

hbernstein

I think halfway.

Moose

Only flowering Nypa I know of is at Montgomery Botanical. It's a pretty palm but has a niche environment requirement.

hbernstein

MBC was my seed source.

The Silent Seed

I think there are some in Hawaii as well. 

My seeds came from MBC as well. 

Moose

I grew mine in a pot with a 3 inch deep tray kept full of water. Changed the water every three days to mimick fresh tidal water. Traded it to a friend with who had a pond in east Homestead, FL. Lasted two years until a heavy cold spell took it out. It even killed his Caiman that lived in the pond.

The Silent Seed

Shame that his palm, and the caiman died. I bet his yard was strangely rodent, cat, dog free. :) 

Moose
18 hours ago, santoury said:

Shame that his palm, and the caiman died. I bet his yard was strangely rodent, cat, dog free. :) 

Actually he had several dogs. The Caiman stayed in the pond where he got fed. The dogs roamed the 10 acres freely.

• Upvote 1

Missi

I would LOVE to have a pet Cuvier's dwarf caiman! I mean, how precious are they! :wub: 

Cuviersdwarfcaiman.jpg

• Upvote 3

The Silent Seed

That's very cool! 

Missi - yes; they are gorgeous. I've always loved crocodilians. Back in the day, when they were legal (In Massachusetts) i took care of 3 baby gators for a while before giving them back. Good times. 

There are some caimen up in New Hampshire, that I got to see from time to time, too. 

The one in your picture is a fat sassy little fellah! 

• Upvote 1

Missi
6 hours ago, santoury said:

That's very cool! 

Missi - yes; they are gorgeous. I've always loved crocodilians. Back in the day, when they were legal (In Massachusetts) i took care of 3 baby gators for a while before giving them back. Good times. 

There are some caimen up in New Hampshire, that I got to see from time to time, too. 

The one in your picture is a fat sassy little fellah! 

Ohhh sweet!! I think we can legally have certain caiman species in FL if we apply for the proper permits and have the proper enclosure set up. I already have too many animals to tend to at the moment. Maybe some day...:wub:

Sabal Steve
On March 6, 2018 5:07:10 PM, Moose said:

Only flowering Nypa I know of is at Montgomery Botanical. It's a pretty palm but has a niche environment requirement.

IMG_5608.jpg.3543be0b051e79337bf5196bc78IMG_5609.jpg.7b638ec367af08c91b24b76511dIMG_5605.jpg.54fd93efef7d340b3739613f784IMG_5603.jpg.53b86a6081189df36a8f633dbaeIMG_5615.jpg.b4d9bd6830019394f7d01b22643IMG_5617.jpg.8ed3ffb9c10dae10be644e1c83eIMG_5616.jpg.9423df5f41aa20fbee57ab4a52b

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

doyle

Ordered 10 germinated nypa fruitican seeds from rarepalmseeds in Germany.

Order seized by customs in Miami. Anyone know where I can purchase same here in the U.S.?

MBC seeds mentioned in one of your posts. Does someone have there email, website address?

Any other sources?