sipalms

Rhopalostylis Sapida in Habitat, New Zealand

sipalms

Looking back out to the South Pacific. A native lancewood / horoeka tree in the foreground.

NikauBP_50.thumb.jpg.2b6c94fae641539379df69f28eb37c95.jpg

NikauBP_51.thumb.jpg.832b491642c9cd42891db54501e7e5ad.jpg

NikauBP_52.thumb.jpg.7cc7acff80c7ccc17d90676d83a208fe.jpg

NikauBP_53.thumb.jpg.e63ada4de6be4dcbf0786a118e342a90.jpg

NikauBP_54.thumb.jpg.44687628fd46f9b0813d455eea380827.jpg

Fisherman's bay - great for diving for seafood.

NikauBP_55.thumb.jpg.786c9a21095f73755dc6bb00bd62f00d.jpg

NikauBP_56.thumb.jpg.4cb05242a9eef1e92713ab37578840a8.jpg

NikauBP_57.thumb.jpg.64f6dd04515726b7260d573699db2e08.jpg

NikauBP_58.thumb.jpg.fa7e2f1948df327ec44945ccb087e71e.jpg

Back to the traditional farmhouse - quite a culture shock to see oak trees etc all of a sudden.

NikauBP_59.thumb.jpg.d2aea47fc07975e9e3e71f2b3da56cca.jpg

In my opinion? One of the ugliest palms on the planet... but adds to the Med vibe all the same! Akaroa town.

NikauBP_60.thumb.jpg.57cd15f2f07c01b00fc60d6a37a4b9f9.jpg

Another terribly cared for phoenix. These ones are young but there's heaps around the town. Some are extremely tall and date back to the early 1900s. Also in Akaroa there are an abundance of other 9a to 9b palms including Archontophoenix.

NikauBP_61.thumb.jpg.f12d07ce375d86b312fb72d57cc179a8.jpg

So that's that - next on the bucket list of the Nikau/Rhopalostylis is the Chatham Islands. Not sure if that will ever happen though...

• Like 5

Darold Petty

Thanks very much for posting these great photos !  :greenthumb:

• Like 1

cbmnz

Great report on the whole experience/setting. That was more to the standard of a nature magazine professional article than a forum post!

• Like 1

sipalms
1 hour ago, cbmnz said:

Great report on the whole experience/setting. That was more to the standard of a nature magazine professional article than a forum post!

Thanks.... Was certainly a pretty epic setting. Interesting to observe these in person after hearing so many reports and speculations as to what variety/relation these are to all the other Nikau around the country.

Tyrone

Thanks for the pictures. Enjoyable viewing them. Your observations too are very interesting. This whole thread has been great.

• Like 1

sipalms

@Jim in Los Altos you might find some of these pics interesting - the terrain reminds me a lot of the San Francisco / NorCal Pacific coast area going by the couple of times I have visited. You might find some of the native vegetation of interest as well being a similar climate.

Edited by sipalms

palmfriend

Oh my gosh!

This is an epic documentation! Enjoyed every image - I really did! 

I am worried that we over here are not qualified enough for the lower (necessary) temps but I will give it a try and will

place an order for some seeds next time to find out! 

Thank you so much for sharing!

best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

• Like 1

Jim in Los Altos
13 hours ago, sipalms said:

@Jim in Los Altos you might find some of these pics interesting - the terrain reminds me a lot of the San Francisco / NorCal Pacific coast area going by the couple of times I have visited. You might find some of the native vegetation of interest as well being a similar climate.

Yes, very much so! Rhopalostylis is a fascinating genus and my garden just wouldn’t be the same without them. Your photo presentation is spectacular! 

• Like 1

Tyrone
21 hours ago, palmfriend said:

Oh my gosh!

This is an epic documentation! Enjoyed every image - I really did! 

I am worried that we over here are not qualified enough for the lower (necessary) temps but I will give it a try and will

place an order for some seeds next time to find out! 

Thank you so much for sharing!

best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

Maybe try Rhopalostylis bauerii first and see how you go. They tolerate warmer conditions better. I’d plant it in the shade but in an open breezy area where it can get a good sea breeze. The middle of summer with high minimums could be the issue, but then maybe not. 

• Like 1