iwan

Californian's, are you watering?

iwan

I was out out weeding over the weekend and noticed that most of my beds were bone dry for the first couple of inches, even under canopy and mulch.  I last watered last weekend before the big freeze to make sure everything was hydrated and to raise the humidity and soil temperatures a bit.  These cold, dry winds with dew points in the teens combined with sunny skies have sucked the moisture out of the ground.

If you are not watering, you might want to check your soil.  I have never had to water in February before. 

Josue Diaz

Yeah, I've been watering almost all winter. I did notice that where I haven't been watering, the ground was very dry.

Darold Petty

Yes, irrigation is on.  When I can afford the bill, sometimes I run the irrigation through the winter just as a political act.  Read the book 'Cadillac Desert' if you feel guilty about residential water consumption in California.  :angry: 

• Upvote 1

GottmitAlex

Have been watering ALMOST every week. 17th February, (yesterday 25th). I just pick the day when we're above 22C.  The biggest advantage I have is that my palms are in pure sand....

happ

I have not watered at all since early last week when the cold weather started. While it stays cold I will hold off watering especially with possible showers anyway.

Palm Tree Jim

Unlike last year.....I have had my irrigation on during the warmer periods this winter.

And like others, I turned it off prior to this cold weather.

I did run my drip on Sunday as it was over 70F here.

DoomsDave

I've been watering all winter long.

Not quite summer water bills, but close.