IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Arenga micrantha at 43° south

Albey

Hi there
Today i thought i would check out how the Arenga micrantha is doing this Summer at the Botanical gardens.
It looks great and has outgrown all its old growth. It grows much faster here in this climate than Arenga engleri and should be a solid performer.
But so far do not know what its cold hardiness levels are like yet. Its gone through two Winters so far so has probably not seen much less than -3°c

Here it is.

20180224_170439-JPEG.png

20180224_170800-JPEG.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

The one at ABG got a little fried on record cold morning.  I don't recall the temperature but it is very cold there by Auckland standards. 

Hi Richard

I was just up your way 3-weeks ago ( Roger Waters Concert & visiting family ) Also got a chance to visit the ABG before going home.

The Arengas looked o.k - did you see them last winter ? - Got a pic of the big Dypsis decipiens while i was there ( I must post it )

Good to see A. micrantha doing so well in the cold. I have two small ones to plant here in Melbourne where it shouldn't see below zero so that gives me confidence that they should perform well here. I'm waiting for the hot weather to pass until I plant-we will probably still get a couple more weeks with 30's. I have A. engleri which grows quite well here.

10 hours ago, Albey said:

Hi Richard

I was just up your way 3-weeks ago ( Roger Waters Concert & visiting family ) Also got a chance to visit the ABG before going home.

The Arengas looked o.k - did you see them last winter ? - Got a pic of the big Dypsis decipiens while i was there ( I must post it )

Most winters it doesn't mark at all.   Would have got to maybe -5c in that freak cold snap though not for long.  Mine flowered and is producing a huge amount of seed but sadly they will be unfertilised.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

I recently acquired a plant and have read conflicting comments about the flowering.   I would like to know if there is any agreement, is this species monoecious or dioecious?  Thanks 

San Francisco, California

Darold--

Flora of China (using the original 1988 description by C.F. Wei in Acta Phytotax.) says the following in its description: "Inflorescences 80-100 cm; male rachillae to 100, to 17 cm; male flowers 4-5.5 mm; sepals ca. 2 mm; petals ca. 5.5 mm; stamens 9-23; female inflorescences not known. Fruits not known." ...but in Contributions to the Flora of Bhutan (2000) the following statement appears: "The female of the dioecious palm Arenga micrantha (previously known only from male specimens from Tibet) was described for the first time (Noltie, 2000c)..." So yes, I think that answers it...

• Like 1

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

13 minutes ago, Rickybobby said:

It’s crazy I live at 43 degrees north and completely different climate than you

Except on the West coast, there are palms growing almost the entire West coast. I'm at 37°N and can grow tons of palms.