IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Weird weather

Jotoqi

It'll change. That's Mid-Atlantic weather for you.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

2 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

It'll change. That's Mid-Atlantic weather for you.

Heres an NWS report. The whole green area has temps higher than normal!

tree.jpg

Certianly has been warm here in SW Florida, reached 90 degrees today. More like summer time!

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

One more day of 70s then back to 50s and 60s. Ill take it!

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

It hit 80 here today. We are going to have the rest of the days in the 60s. All lows are in the 40s except for one day next week with a low of 39. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

13 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

It hit 80 here today. We are going to have the rest of the days in the 60s. All lows are in the 40s except for one day next week with a low of 39. 

Yeah we got to 82F yesterday and back to 50s now with all our lows well above freezing for a good long while! Like I said Ill take it! We should see some 60s and 70s in the next few days again. Very happy right now, but sadly its only speeding up the process of my palms dying. 3 look to be goners, holding out for the other 2 pulled palms. 

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

On 2/22/2018, 9:18:53, mdsonofthesouth said:

Yeah we got to 82F yesterday and back to 50s now with all our lows well above freezing for a good long while! Like I said Ill take it! We should see some 60s and 70s in the next few days again. Very happy right now, but sadly its only speeding up the process of my palms dying. 3 look to be goners, holding out for the other 2 pulled palms. 

All of my palms in my yard except for my Needle Palm and Sabal palmetto seedlings are 100% defoliated.  This normally happens and in Spring they grow back. I am hoping it is the same this Spring. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

27 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

All of my palms in my yard except for my Needle Palm and Sabal palmetto seedlings are 100% defoliated.  This normally happens and in Spring they grow back. I am hoping it is the same this Spring. 

Yeah the ones that look gone, aren't normal defoliation. The fronds got dark and they curled. Will be taking some shots here soon of the palms and where they stand today. 

1 hour ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Yeah the ones that look gone, aren't normal defoliation. The fronds got dark and they curled. Will be taking some shots here soon of the palms and where they stand today. 

Please post them, I want to see what's up. Have all their spears pulled? 

PalmTreeDude

Here is the best one I had...

20180210_104552.thumb.jpg.0af3eb8007bff720180210_104456.thumb.jpg.cba675a2841251

This was taken a few weeks ago. Will update when it stops raining here lol. Palms dont look terribly different from here.

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

20180210_104533.thumb.jpg.83010c7ed8dca5

Heres one of the non spear pulled trachycarpus. The chamaerops is brown but still has good succors without pulled spears and the livistona is 97% defoliated and all the spears look pretty bad but not pulling yet!

With all the warm weather and rain some look a little better than whats pictured here, but 3 arent looking good at all.

Just another day on the fall line! Started out at 30F(no frost) at 745am when I started my truck and by 845 it was 60F. I wish I could say thats weird for the midatlantic/upper south @Jotoqi, but this is rather normal. 60s and 70s during the winter are in the same league with mid teens in that they are rare but they happen every year. Either way warm ups like that are an indicator that spring has pretty much arrived! Going to put down some milorganite on the yard, then treat the yard with pre-emergent and sea kelp/humic acid and finally get at those weeds in my beds. Been kinda neglecting the weeding this winter which Im sure will garauntee next years winter weed "crop" lol.

Oh well heres hoping spring sticks around and winter is put to rest...