IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Thermometers !!!

Bill H2DB

I am amazed at the number of posts that I see , in which the posting person is guessing at the

temperature in their yard , or relying on TV station data , or some other source , such as a vehicle readout .

The temperature that counts is the one in your yard , and even that varies within your own yard ,let alone

over an area as big as most towns etc .

So , with digital therms available very inexpensively , what not buy a few , and park them around ?  Or do a survey of your yard

by walking around with a therm during the freeze ?   Lot of info for your own little world right there .

An example :   https://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-Indoor-Outdoor-Thermometer-Digital-Hygrometer-Temperature-Humidity-Display/390953682071?hash=item5b06a7c497:g:da8AAOSwajVURD1I:sc:USPSFirstClass!32117!US!-1 

There's a whole lot more out there .

The key Temperature that we all are concerned with is 32 degrees , and that is a point that is easily calibrated for, and verified

by each user , for each individual thermometer .

A well , and constantly stirred mix of  1/2 water , and 1/2 ice , will be 32 degrees . If your instrument has an error , allow for it , and or try another that reads closer .

Valid point. I'm not too concerned with scientifically-accurate, localized readings, so for me, using established weather station readings is sufficient. Weather underground let's you select from multiple reporting stations in an area. I can see what my lows were in relation to the area around me in order to better understand the microclimates of my city. Let's face it, there's very little you can do (aside from enclosing a palm in a makeshift greenhouse) that would counteract dropping temperatures. Knowing whether your yard was 29.5F or 30F would make a difference in a scientific paper, but in the end you still have have a dead dypsis ambositrae.

• Upvote 4

I LOVE weather underground! I tried many others and they were always just too far off from what it really was and the forecasts weren't as accurate. As for localize temperatures Im also a big fan of doing this for zone pushing. I can see as great as a 5F difference between my front and back gardens on a given day, and the differences in my area can be noticeable due to all the terrain we have. Weather underground kinda helps on this front as there are just so many sensors in a given area to go off of, but when you can see a 5F+ difference in the 2 miles from the highway having something at the house is very nice. I, like @Josue Diaz, am not concerned with super accurate readings so long as the standard deviation isnt too great. 

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto