IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

CYRTOSTACHYS RENDA Lipstick Palm Seedlings

Miami_grower

New Papi here in Miami! 

The C. renda seeds from Thailand went to heated (electric blanket for those cold Miami nights) germination bags (with moist sphagnum moss) the third week of November. Right on schedule, they started to sprout the first week of February.   I have the early risers in a small bottom heated community tray (LED light) waiting for their siblings to catch up. Then into two larger community trays, six inches of very moist perlite-enhanced potting soil and room for six inches or so of growth. The community trays are clear plastic Home Depot type, bottom heated with the tops on to keep all moist. From there, as well-established seedings, to individual cells in a plant tray

Pictures are of RarePalmseeds (Germany) Summer 2017 sprouts with heated mats, in trays with 1/2" of water, and the early riser Thai sprouts in a temporary heated and LED lit community tray.   The larger RarePalmSeeds seedlings will be outside soon, then  ready by Summer for individual pots. 

I separated 100 seeds for an experiment prompted by recommendations of a Chinese C. renda grower:

1. clean 'em
  2. freeze 'em for 30 days
  3. germinate 'em normally 

Six week into germination stage and no action yet. We'll see. 

Bob

IMG_0025.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
On 2/20/2018 at 9:13 AM, Miami_grower said:

New Papi here in Miami! 

The C. renda seeds from Thailand went to heated (electric blanket for those cold Miami nights) germination bags (with moist sphagnum moss) the third week of November. Right on schedule, they started to sprout the first week of February.   I have the early risers in a small bottom heated community tray (LED light) waiting for their siblings to catch up. Then into two larger community trays, six inches of very moist perlite-enhanced potting soil and room for six inches or so of growth. The community trays are clear plastic Home Depot type, bottom heated with the tops on to keep all moist. From there, as well-established seedings, to individual cells in a plant tray

Pictures are of RarePalmseeds (Germany) Summer 2017 sprouts with heated mats, in trays with 1/2" of water, and the early riser Thai sprouts in a temporary heated and LED lit community tray.   The larger RarePalmSeeds seedlings will be outside soon, then  ready by Summer for individual pots. 

I separated 100 seeds for an experiment prompted by recommendations of a Chinese C. renda grower:

1. clean 'em
  2. freeze 'em for 30 days
  3. germinate 'em normally 

Six week into germination stage and no action yet. We'll see. 

Bob

IMG_0025.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

Any luck meanwhile? Let me know please

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Love your post! What kind of ventilation do you have for them?  I have tried to grow these and had minimal success from seed, maybe 25% germinated under similar conditions.  Had a few battles with fungus or mold on the rest. 

Be careful with watering. Brown tips means something wrong is happening with the roots. I lost so many because of this. Improve drainage by changing the soil composition (better choice) or change the water schedule.

Many people say C. Renda are nearly aquatic, true only for mature palms, not seedlings.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cristi said:

Be careful with watering. Brown tips means something wrong is happening with the roots. I lost so many because of this. Improve drainage by changing the soil composition (better choice) or change the water schedule.

Many people say C. Renda are nearly aquatic, true only for mature palms, not seedlings.

Good luck.

I've REALLY been heavy handed with the watering with my two small Cyrtostachys, so I guess I have gotten lucky so far.  Especially since I just yesterday noticed some sudden fungal issues on several other potted plants in the same vicinity.  I guess when it dries out next week I will treat them both with some prophylactic systemic fungicide.  Glad this was mentioned.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

When do you remove them from the container? We had 50 seeds and about 10 have sprouted, very exciting.  Problem is we don't know when to transfer from it current container.

Thank you