Sign in to follow this  
Miami_grower

CYRTOSTACHYS RENDA Lipstick Palm Seedlings

Miami_grower

New Papi here in Miami! 

The C. renda seeds from Thailand went to heated (electric blanket for those cold Miami nights) germination bags (with moist sphagnum moss) the third week of November. Right on schedule, they started to sprout the first week of February.   I have the early risers in a small bottom heated community tray (LED light) waiting for their siblings to catch up. Then into two larger community trays, six inches of very moist perlite-enhanced potting soil and room for six inches or so of growth. The community trays are clear plastic Home Depot type, bottom heated with the tops on to keep all moist. From there, as well-established seedings, to individual cells in a plant tray

Pictures are of RarePalmseeds (Germany) Summer 2017 sprouts with heated mats, in trays with 1/2" of water, and the early riser Thai sprouts in a temporary heated and LED lit community tray.   The larger RarePalmSeeds seedlings will be outside soon, then  ready by Summer for individual pots. 

I separated 100 seeds for an experiment prompted by recommendations of a Chinese C. renda grower:

1. clean 'em
  2. freeze 'em for 30 days
  3. germinate 'em normally 

Six week into germination stage and no action yet. We'll see. 

Bob

IMG_0025.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

JANAIY
On 2/20/2018 at 9:13 AM, Miami_grower said:

New Papi here in Miami! 

The C. renda seeds from Thailand went to heated (electric blanket for those cold Miami nights) germination bags (with moist sphagnum moss) the third week of November. Right on schedule, they started to sprout the first week of February.   I have the early risers in a small bottom heated community tray (LED light) waiting for their siblings to catch up. Then into two larger community trays, six inches of very moist perlite-enhanced potting soil and room for six inches or so of growth. The community trays are clear plastic Home Depot type, bottom heated with the tops on to keep all moist. From there, as well-established seedings, to individual cells in a plant tray

Pictures are of RarePalmseeds (Germany) Summer 2017 sprouts with heated mats, in trays with 1/2" of water, and the early riser Thai sprouts in a temporary heated and LED lit community tray.   The larger RarePalmSeeds seedlings will be outside soon, then  ready by Summer for individual pots. 

I separated 100 seeds for an experiment prompted by recommendations of a Chinese C. renda grower:

1. clean 'em
  2. freeze 'em for 30 days
  3. germinate 'em normally 

Six week into germination stage and no action yet. We'll see. 

Bob

IMG_0025.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

Any luck meanwhile? Let me know please

HeroLite

Love your post! What kind of ventilation do you have for them?  I have tried to grow these and had minimal success from seed, maybe 25% germinated under similar conditions.  Had a few battles with fungus or mold on the rest. 

cristi

Be careful with watering. Brown tips means something wrong is happening with the roots. I lost so many because of this. Improve drainage by changing the soil composition (better choice) or change the water schedule.

Many people say C. Renda are nearly aquatic, true only for mature palms, not seedlings.

Good luck.

• Upvote 1

palmsOrl
1 hour ago, cristi said:

Be careful with watering. Brown tips means something wrong is happening with the roots. I lost so many because of this. Improve drainage by changing the soil composition (better choice) or change the water schedule.

Many people say C. Renda are nearly aquatic, true only for mature palms, not seedlings.

Good luck.

I've REALLY been heavy handed with the watering with my two small Cyrtostachys, so I guess I have gotten lucky so far.  Especially since I just yesterday noticed some sudden fungal issues on several other potted plants in the same vicinity.  I guess when it dries out next week I will treat them both with some prophylactic systemic fungicide.  Glad this was mentioned.