Sign in to follow this  
Miami_grower

CYRTOSTACHYS RENDA Lipstick Palm Seedlings

Miami_grower

New Papi here in Miami! 

The C. renda seeds from Thailand went to heated (electric blanket for those cold Miami nights) germination bags (with moist sphagnum moss) the third week of November. Right on schedule, they started to sprout the first week of February.   I have the early risers in a small bottom heated community tray (LED light) waiting for their siblings to catch up. Then into two larger community trays, six inches of very moist perlite-enhanced potting soil and room for six inches or so of growth. The community trays are clear plastic Home Depot type, bottom heated with the tops on to keep all moist. From there, as well-established seedings, to individual cells in a plant tray

Pictures are of RarePalmseeds (Germany) Summer 2017 sprouts with heated mats, in trays with 1/2" of water, and the early riser Thai sprouts in a temporary heated and LED lit community tray.   The larger RarePalmSeeds seedlings will be outside soon, then  ready by Summer for individual pots. 

I separated 100 seeds for an experiment prompted by recommendations of a Chinese C. renda grower:

1. clean 'em
  2. freeze 'em for 30 days
  3. germinate 'em normally 

Six week into germination stage and no action yet. We'll see. 

Bob

IMG_0025.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

JANAIY
On 2/20/2018 at 9:13 AM, Miami_grower said:

New Papi here in Miami! 

The C. renda seeds from Thailand went to heated (electric blanket for those cold Miami nights) germination bags (with moist sphagnum moss) the third week of November. Right on schedule, they started to sprout the first week of February.   I have the early risers in a small bottom heated community tray (LED light) waiting for their siblings to catch up. Then into two larger community trays, six inches of very moist perlite-enhanced potting soil and room for six inches or so of growth. The community trays are clear plastic Home Depot type, bottom heated with the tops on to keep all moist. From there, as well-established seedings, to individual cells in a plant tray

Pictures are of RarePalmseeds (Germany) Summer 2017 sprouts with heated mats, in trays with 1/2" of water, and the early riser Thai sprouts in a temporary heated and LED lit community tray.   The larger RarePalmSeeds seedlings will be outside soon, then  ready by Summer for individual pots. 

I separated 100 seeds for an experiment prompted by recommendations of a Chinese C. renda grower:

1. clean 'em
  2. freeze 'em for 30 days
  3. germinate 'em normally 

Six week into germination stage and no action yet. We'll see. 

Bob

IMG_0025.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

Any luck meanwhile? Let me know please

• Like 1

HeroLite

Love your post! What kind of ventilation do you have for them?  I have tried to grow these and had minimal success from seed, maybe 25% germinated under similar conditions.  Had a few battles with fungus or mold on the rest. 

cristi

Be careful with watering. Brown tips means something wrong is happening with the roots. I lost so many because of this. Improve drainage by changing the soil composition (better choice) or change the water schedule.

Many people say C. Renda are nearly aquatic, true only for mature palms, not seedlings.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

palmsOrl
1 hour ago, cristi said:

Be careful with watering. Brown tips means something wrong is happening with the roots. I lost so many because of this. Improve drainage by changing the soil composition (better choice) or change the water schedule.

Many people say C. Renda are nearly aquatic, true only for mature palms, not seedlings.

Good luck.

I've REALLY been heavy handed with the watering with my two small Cyrtostachys, so I guess I have gotten lucky so far.  Especially since I just yesterday noticed some sudden fungal issues on several other potted plants in the same vicinity.  I guess when it dries out next week I will treat them both with some prophylactic systemic fungicide.  Glad this was mentioned.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Satakentia liukiuensis was recently rated one of the top landscape palms for SFL. But it is very difficult to find even at specialty nurseries and impossible BB garden centers. I currently have 3 growing in my back yard jungle but had problems with them in the past. My advice is DO NOT be in a rush to stick it in the ground. Take time to grow it to at least a 7g pot before planting it. My largest is still a juvenile pushing 7-8' tall and ready to form a trunk. Read article below:
      http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Satakentia_liukiuensis
      Satakentia liukiuensis Seedlings: $2.00 each. Minimum order = $20.00   NOTE: I am listing other palm seedlings and you are welcome to mix & match species
      Shipping = $10.00  No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI
      Seedlings will be sent without pots and soil, with roots wrapped in damp orchid moss, clear wrap and foil.
      Payment via Paypal. PM me if you are interested
      Photos

Juvenile Satakentia

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Last year my Archo maxima produced a bountiful crop of seeds and is working on its 2021 crop. I potted up some of those seedlings and need to find them a new home. In the US Archo maxima is one of the rarest of the king palms. See article in Palmpedia:
      http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Archontophoenix_maxima
      Archonotophoenix maxima Seedlings: $2.00 each. Minimum order = $20.00   NOTE: I am listing other palm seedlings and you are welcome to mix & match species
      Seedlings will be sent without pots and soil, with roots wrapped in damp orchid moss, clear wrap and foil.
      Photos

Mother Palm

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I have multiple pots of Dypsis pembana that have been growing for almost a year. They spent all winter outdoors unprotected and laughed off all the cold fronts threw at them. I have said many times this is the best landscaping palm to come along in many years. It clusters but sparsely - both my adult palms have 3 trunks. They have taken down to 28.5F without even cold spotting and are solid zone 9 palms. They grow fast and look great.
      http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Dypsis_pembana
      Dypsis pembana Seedlings: $1.00 each. Minimum order = $20.00   NOTE: I am listing other palm seedlings and you are welcome to mix & match species
      Photos

Mother Palm

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Last year I had seeds of Sabal mexicana generously gifted to me. They are nearly a year old and trying to escape their pot. I don't have room for all of them so I am offering a pot of 15+ of them. Learn about this coldhardy large trunking Sabal through the link below:
      http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Sabal_mexicana
      See sale details below:
      Sabal mexicana strap leaf seedlings, 9-12 months old: 15+ @$25.00 for the lot     ONE LOT ONLY
      Shipping = $12.00
      Seedlings will be sent without pot and soil, with roots wrapped in damp orchid, clear wrap and foil.
      Payment via Paypal. No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI
      PM me if interested
      Photos

• PsyPalm
      By PsyPalm
      Hey guys!
      I bought a small (7") c. renda seedling from Hawaii about 10 months ago and have been trying to keep it happy here in my Seattle apartment.  It's definitely had some ups and downs but I finally have it in a setup that it actually seems to like and wanted to share it on here. It's been in this new pot and setup for approx. 4 months now and it's FINALLY starting to push out new growth.
      I have it potted in a 10" lechuza classico self watering planter.  It's planted in a homemade pon mixture composed of equal parts white pumice, black lava rock, red lava rock, (all of these 1/4" size), akadama, and zeolite.  I keep the reservoir in the planter constantly full with filtered water, and I take out the inner pot weekly to flush the substrate and rinse away any salt buildup.  Once monthly I'll replace the water in the reservoir and add a half strength dose of FloraGro 2-1-6 hydroponic nutrient solution.
      I've also added a 6" wide seedling heat mat to keep the root structure from getting too cold (winter in Seattle can be very tricky).  I basically wrapped/duct taped it around the inner lechuza container so it's warming the root structure and ran the power cord out the watering hole. (see picture)  I have it positioned next to my work desk with a mild red/blue grow light directly next to it.
      After a bumpy first 6 months it seems like she's finally happy, I'm noticing new leaf spikes on three of four trunks and they are coming in at a decent growth rate.  The red color is also starting to develop nicely on the largest trunk.  Anyway, just wanted to share my grow with you guys!  It's definitely my most intricate/experimental setup, I'll keep this thread updated with her progress over the coming year
      I always love to see how people are growing this palm indoors so please add pics and descriptions of what has/hasn't worked for those of you who have experience with it!  Thanks for looking
      Loch
      Seattle, WA