enigma99

Ca freeze

Tracy
2 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

the brugmansia in yellow,

Looks like the brugmansia was bled out like a sow to slaughter.  It didn't like those temps!

Chris Chance

So here's a crispy foxtail and a still nice looking Beccariophoenix alfredii after our cold. Also Archontophoenix and Coccothrinax barbadensis got fried. Tribears didn't handle it so well neither which is the one Palm in the garden that makes me want to cry.

20180227_114249.jpg

• Upvote 1

Chris Chance

20180227_152251.jpg

Edited by Chris Chance
Add text
  • Upvote 1

DoomsDave
53 minutes ago, Chris Chance said:

So here's a crispy foxtail and a still nice looking Beccariophoenix alfredii after our cold. Also Archontophoenix and Coccothrinax barbadensis got fried. Tribears didn't handle it so well neither which is the one Palm in the garden that makes me want to cry.

Egad, sprinkle that Foxtail with some seasoned salt, and serve with some dairy-based dip? :bemused:

Hope it recovers.

• Upvote 1

Palm Tree Jim

Chris, your plants did take a hit this past week.

What were the lows in your garden?

GottmitAlex

Wowsers. Chris, how cold does Moreno valley get? Specifically your plot.

nachocarl

Saw alot of frost this morning on Vista roofs.  I had frost on one car roof in a wind free spot all the others were frost free.  Here is a pic from yesterdays hail that fell.....is winter over now?

hail.jpg

• Upvote 3

JubaeaMan138

Yea my house looked the exact same this morning as I left there was still a lot of the hail still laying around all of the citrus groves couple miles from me . But I did not get under 40 degrees 

Tracy
5 hours ago, nachocarl said:

Saw alot of frost this morning on Vista roofs.  I had frost on one car roof in a wind free spot all the others were frost free.  Here is a pic from yesterdays hail that fell.....is winter over now?

The National Weather Service had information on all the "all time lows" and "all time minimum highs" for the dates this last week.  Vista experienced both some all time lows and one all time minimum high (Tuesday or Wednesday, I can't remember which).  No hail just a little further south, but it did get down to 40 again this morning here, with frost on a couple of roofs nearby.  I'm seeing a little leaf spotting on a couple of Dypsis in my garden which I'm attributing to the cold.  One was a Dypsis I acquired as Dypsis cabadea and the other is my Dypsis crinita (easily identified with the orchid buds underneath it in the photo).

20180227-104A8624.jpg

20180227-104A8625.jpg

• Upvote 2

JubaeaMan138

Believe it or not all of my dypsis did awesome through all this weather mealy bug by far did the best same with Dypsis Jurassic park . I had marked the new emerging spear on big dypsis ovobontsira last week and noticed this morning it's still pushing it moved almost a inch in a week!! 

• Upvote 1

nachocarl
50 minutes ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Believe it or not all of my dypsis did awesome through all this weather mealy bug by far did the best same with Dypsis Jurassic park . I had marked the new emerging spear on big dypsis ovobontsira last week and noticed this morning it's still pushing it moved almost a inch in a week!! 

Soil is nice and warm from the mild winter....add some rain and presto "Epic Growth"

Palm Tree Jim

No hail up here in south OC.

My low last night was 40 with roof frost including my own.

Need to get out into the yard and inspect tomorrow. 

nachocarl

My small Dypsis cabadae showed a little burn in a choice location, but this is one of the harder ones to make look good in Socal.

Dypsis cabadea.jpg

• Upvote 3

JubaeaMan138

Can't remember which this is but I believe it is cabadae it has a little browning on the tips . But man the rain water really does bring out the beauty to me everything always looks

so vibrant after the rain

IMG_3123.JPG

• Upvote 5

Jim in Los Altos

Mild and nearly 2" of rain have fallen here Wednesday night and today. Looks like my garden dodged any freezing temperatures this winter. Dombeya, mangoes, and heliconia are always the first to show stress and they're all looking perfectly happy. More rain is on the way too. :)

• Upvote 4

GottmitAlex

More COLD rain that is.

Tarps are back up down here..

• Upvote 2

Josue Diaz
48 minutes ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Mild and nearly 2" of rain have fallen here Wednesday night and today. Looks like my garden dodged any freezing temperatures this winter. Dombeya, mangoes, and heliconia are always the first to show stress and they're all looking perfectly happy. More rain is on the way too. :)

Saammmee, tons of rain and more in the forecast. It looks like we only had that one night of 34 and another of 32. I'm happy to hear your dodged it. 

23 hours ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

But man the rain water really does bring out the beauty to me everything always looks so vibrant after the rain

My yard looks so moody after a good rain, especially with dark skies like today. I love it. 

Screenshot_20180301-151728.jpg

Screenshot_20180301-151753.jpg

• Upvote 6

enigma99
20 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

More COLD rain that is.

Tarps are back up down here..

Coconuts and cold rain don't mix! Next week is finally looking normal though

• Upvote 2

GottmitAlex
4 hours ago, enigma99 said:

Coconuts and cold rain don't mix! Next week is finally looking normal though

Ditto!

GottmitAlex
On 3/1/2018, 3:19:23, Josue Diaz said:

Saammmee, tons of rain and more in the forecast. It looks like we only had that one night of 34 and another of 32. I'm happy to hear your dodged it. 

My yard looks so moody after a good rain, especially with dark skies like today. I love it. 

Screenshot_20180301-151728.jpg

If that doesn't look like a dehusked coconut planted in the ground, I don't know what is.  It's a doppelganger 

• Upvote 2

CB Lisa

Much symathy from Florida on this late cold blast and all the damaged plants pictured. Guessing it’s extra painful when the end of Winter and beginning of Spring was so close in sight! Wishing you all a speedy warm up and a final good bye to Winter!