IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ca freeze

enigma99

2 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

the brugmansia in yellow,

Looks like the brugmansia was bled out like a sow to slaughter.  It didn't like those temps!

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

So here's a crispy foxtail and a still nice looking Beccariophoenix alfredii after our cold. Also Archontophoenix and Coccothrinax barbadensis got fried. Tribears didn't handle it so well neither which is the one Palm in the garden that makes me want to cry.

20180227_114249.jpg

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Chris Chance said:

So here's a crispy foxtail and a still nice looking Beccariophoenix alfredii after our cold. Also Archontophoenix and Coccothrinax barbadensis got fried. Tribears didn't handle it so well neither which is the one Palm in the garden that makes me want to cry.

Egad, sprinkle that Foxtail with some seasoned salt, and serve with some dairy-based dip? :bemused:

Hope it recovers.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Wowsers. Chris, how cold does Moreno valley get? Specifically your plot.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Saw alot of frost this morning on Vista roofs.  I had frost on one car roof in a wind free spot all the others were frost free.  Here is a pic from yesterdays hail that fell.....is winter over now?

hail.jpg

• Upvote 3

Carl

Vista, CA

Yea my house looked the exact same this morning as I left there was still a lot of the hail still laying around all of the citrus groves couple miles from me . But I did not get under 40 degrees 

5 hours ago, nachocarl said:

Saw alot of frost this morning on Vista roofs.  I had frost on one car roof in a wind free spot all the others were frost free.  Here is a pic from yesterdays hail that fell.....is winter over now?

The National Weather Service had information on all the "all time lows" and "all time minimum highs" for the dates this last week.  Vista experienced both some all time lows and one all time minimum high (Tuesday or Wednesday, I can't remember which).  No hail just a little further south, but it did get down to 40 again this morning here, with frost on a couple of roofs nearby.  I'm seeing a little leaf spotting on a couple of Dypsis in my garden which I'm attributing to the cold.  One was a Dypsis I acquired as Dypsis cabadea and the other is my Dypsis crinita (easily identified with the orchid buds underneath it in the photo).

20180227-104A8624.jpg

20180227-104A8625.jpg

• Upvote 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Believe it or not all of my dypsis did awesome through all this weather mealy bug by far did the best same with Dypsis Jurassic park . I had marked the new emerging spear on big dypsis ovobontsira last week and noticed this morning it's still pushing it moved almost a inch in a week!! 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Believe it or not all of my dypsis did awesome through all this weather mealy bug by far did the best same with Dypsis Jurassic park . I had marked the new emerging spear on big dypsis ovobontsira last week and noticed this morning it's still pushing it moved almost a inch in a week!! 

Soil is nice and warm from the mild winter....add some rain and presto "Epic Growth"

Carl

Vista, CA

No hail up here in south OC.

My low last night was 40 with roof frost including my own.

Need to get out into the yard and inspect tomorrow. 

My small Dypsis cabadae showed a little burn in a choice location, but this is one of the harder ones to make look good in Socal.

Dypsis cabadea.jpg

• Upvote 3

Carl

Vista, CA

Can't remember which this is but I believe it is cabadae it has a little browning on the tips . But man the rain water really does bring out the beauty to me everything always looks

so vibrant after the rain

IMG_3123.JPG

• Upvote 5

Mild and nearly 2" of rain have fallen here Wednesday night and today. Looks like my garden dodged any freezing temperatures this winter. Dombeya, mangoes, and heliconia are always the first to show stress and they're all looking perfectly happy. More rain is on the way too. :)

• Upvote 4

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

More COLD rain that is.

Tarps are back up down here..

• Upvote 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

48 minutes ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Mild and nearly 2" of rain have fallen here Wednesday night and today. Looks like my garden dodged any freezing temperatures this winter. Dombeya, mangoes, and heliconia are always the first to show stress and they're all looking perfectly happy. More rain is on the way too. :)

Saammmee, tons of rain and more in the forecast. It looks like we only had that one night of 34 and another of 32. I'm happy to hear your dodged it. 

23 hours ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

But man the rain water really does bring out the beauty to me everything always looks so vibrant after the rain

My yard looks so moody after a good rain, especially with dark skies like today. I love it. 

Screenshot_20180301-151728.jpg

Screenshot_20180301-151753.jpg

• Upvote 6

20 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

More COLD rain that is.

Tarps are back up down here..

Coconuts and cold rain don't mix! Next week is finally looking normal though

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, enigma99 said:

Coconuts and cold rain don't mix! Next week is finally looking normal though

Ditto!

On 3/1/2018, 3:19:23, Josue Diaz said:

Saammmee, tons of rain and more in the forecast. It looks like we only had that one night of 34 and another of 32. I'm happy to hear your dodged it. 

My yard looks so moody after a good rain, especially with dark skies like today. I love it. 

Screenshot_20180301-151728.jpg

If that doesn't look like a dehusked coconut planted in the ground, I don't know what is.  It's a doppelganger 

• Upvote 2

Much symathy from Florida on this late cold blast and all the damaged plants pictured. Guessing it’s extra painful when the end of Winter and beginning of Spring was so close in sight! Wishing you all a speedy warm up and a final good bye to Winter!