IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ca freeze

enigma99

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2018‎ ‎5‎:‎40‎:‎52‎, Tracy said:

Yes, those strong onshore winds which brought in the storm and some sprinkles on Monday turned NNE, which diminished the moderating effects of the ocean.  Clouds on the coast act like a blanket, holding in some of the heat, as the ocean is still hovering around 60-61 degrees locally.  When the winds flip, they bring the colder inland air to the coast.  I hit 34 degrees and had frost on my car and local rooftops this morning.  Took my dog for a walk on the bluffs above the ocean and just one block east of the ocean on the downhill side of the bluffs there was frost on some of the cars.  I'm not at all surprised to see that amount of frost in Rancho Bernardo based on what we had here.  Fortunately no damage to any of the cold sensitive plants as there was no frost forming on any of them, only on the metalic surfaces and some of the rooftops.  Things are cooling rapidly as the sun drops, but the local forecast low for tonight is 44 and partly cloudy.  If it's partially cloudy that's possible, but if its clear and offshore, I won't be surprised by more sub 40's with another possibility of frost locally.  Micro-climates are interesting.

Microclimates in San Diego county are especially interesting and a bit of a paradox. I mistakenly suggested that the last freeze at Lindbergh Field was in 1913. This is correct data: 

"Since 1950, San Diego has only dropped to 32 degrees or colder one time (Jan. 13, 1963) at Lindbergh Field. Los Angeles dropped to the freezing mark or colder the same date as San Diego and also on Dec. 20 and Dec. 21, 1968, at Los Angeles International Airport." https://weather.com/science/weather-explainers/news/last-freeze-average-date

San Diego bay water 64° On the other hand, Rancho San Pasqual/ Safari Park regularly report freezing temps/ coldest minimums in the area [and oddly 90° maximums each winter. 

Expect cold temps for a while

2-21-18.gif

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Last night was by far the worst night since  I have lived here. Not just because it hit 27, but after a decent rain in the afternoon. Not good! 

On top of it all, forecast was 31 so I didn’t take enough protective measures 

Edited by enigma99
  • Upvote 1

That's too bad. Our local station recorded 32 on Monday night, mid 30s through today. And 32 again tonight. Luckily I've only had frost that Monday night and possibly again tonight. There's cloud cover though so maybe we'll get lucky and bypass any frost. I know that rural areas got much, much colder. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, enigma99 said:

Last night was by far the worst night since  I have lived here. Not just because it hit 27, but after a decent rain in the afternoon. Not good! 

On top of it all, forecast was 31 so I didn’t take enough protective measures 

Almost exactly like what happened in Tampa, was forecast to only get around 30, then midday it changed to wooly mammoth forecast. No Time for added prep and out of frost cloth. 

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Last night in Sacramento (interior NorCal), along with the rain came some pain - in terms of low temps - again.:(
Here are some representative images of how a few of my plants did. I seem to have lost only a couple of seedling cherry tomatoes that I was impatient to plant out!                         

- Bougainvillea 'La Jolla': in ground, against a cement wall looks fine (it's advertised as hardy to 20 deg.F, and that looks to be the case)
- Kentiopsis oliviformis (potted): as far as I can tell it apparently had no problems with temps below freezing for the last few nights.
- Livistona decora (in ground) had some major leaf spotting
- Livistona fulva (potted) against a brick wall, has some minor leaf spotting
- Phoenix rupicola (potted) against a brick wall, had some yellowing and burning
- Pritchardia hillebrandii 'blue form' under shelter had serious yellowing and burning, but should recover.

Bougainvillea_LaJolla.png

Kentiopsis_oliviformis.png

Livistona_decora.png

Livistona_fulva.png

Phoenix_rupicola.png

Pritchardia_hillebrandii_blueform.png

• Upvote 2

California is vulnerable so long as a deep trough is positioned inland instead of along the coast. Cold dry wind but no rain.

Nobody on the beach yesterday

@stranaconda

2-23-18.jpg

• Upvote 2

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

0.01" of rain, HA! just enough to freeze and cause damage when the skies cleared overnight.  Low around 26.  Removed some of the temporary frost protection yesterday afternoon so that the were not weighed down with moisture, WRONG MOVE.

Covering up tonight again for the weekend.

Syagrus x Lytocaryum showing a few of spots, but holding up nicely so far is a high point. 

• Upvote 1

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

It's not supposed to freeze for me anymore according to the 15 day. And temps are moderating in the forecast as well.. I don't believe anything though. Not after last night

• Upvote 2

Lowest today was 5.3C. They were calling for 2C

The outlook from here on out is gradually, but slowly warmer.

• Upvote 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Last night was the worst so far. Much of the garden is reasonably mature, but I'm seeing damage I've not seen in 2-3 years. I actually thought my spindle palm was going to have its first "no damage" winter since it was planted 8-9 years ago. Unlikely now. My low was right at 31f. Ack. Since I've been here, the worst weather is from mid December to mid January, so this is pretty late in winter for this nonsense.

• Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Last night was the worst night so far for the winter.  We got down to around 30 with damage showing up already on Archontophoenix alexandrae.  Time will tell if there is damage on a Kentia and Parajubaea cocoides.  The cold in December got down below freezing but there was no damage then.  

• Upvote 1

Fortunately, despite last night being the coldest night of the season here, it stayed above freezing but just barely. No frost damage even on heliconia. Lots of rain on the way later in the week, possibly 2" here. 

• Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

13 hours ago, quaman58 said:

Last night was the worst so far. Much of the garden is reasonably mature, but I'm seeing damage I've not seen in 2-3 years. I actually thought my spindle palm was going to have its first "no damage" winter since it was planted 8-9 years ago. Unlikely now. My low was right at 31f. Ack. Since I've been here, the worst weather is from mid December to mid January, so this is pretty late in winter for this nonsense.

Interesting.....my low last night was 40. Usually, I have found that south of me, the San Diego area is always a few degrees warmer.

Agree, this weather pattern is just weird. Long range forecast shows a warming trend for us in So CA.

Someone needs to figure this out......I have plants to put in the ground!!

• Upvote 2

I was above freezing all night last night but the damage is already done :) and the gfs model is showing another round Saturday night. We’ll see

Edited by enigma99
  • Upvote 1

Cold weather is likely for at least another week.  Rain also looks promising this week. Higher dew points raise night temps. You know your climate if you observed frost this past week. 

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

34 minutes ago, happ said:

Cold weather is likely for at least another week.  Rain also looks promising this week. Higher dew points raise night temps. You know your climate if you observed frost this past week. 

Yeah higher dew points do normally raise night temps. Except in some unique cases very cold air is above and continues to condense and fall though the night. My dew point on the last freeze was around 36 at 5PM and it kept falling at a gradual pace to 27F with the dew point much lower. That was awful. 

Good news is this morning’s gfs run was warmer and looks like any freezing is over but I am supposed to get rain and a cold wet pattern after a freeze isn’t good either. Hoping for average temps to return someday

Edited by enigma99
  • Upvote 1

On 2/23/2018, 10:59:35, Hillizard said:

Last night in Sacramento (interior NorCal), along with the rain came some pain - in terms of low temps - again.:(
Here are some representative images of how a few of my plants did. I seem to have lost only a couple of seedling cherry tomatoes that I was impatient to plant out!                         

- Bougainvillea 'La Jolla': in ground, against a cement wall looks fine (it's advertised as hardy to 20 deg.F, and that looks to be the case)
- Kentiopsis oliviformis (potted): as far as I can tell it apparently had no problems with temps below freezing for the last few nights.
- Livistona decora (in ground) had some major leaf spotting
- Livistona fulva (potted) against a brick wall, has some minor leaf spotting
- Phoenix rupicola (potted) against a brick wall, had some yellowing and burning
- Pritchardia hillebrandii 'blue form' under shelter had serious yellowing and burning, but should recover.

Bougainvillea_LaJolla.png

Kentiopsis_oliviformis.png

Livistona_decora.png

Livistona_fulva.png

Phoenix_rupicola.png

Pritchardia_hillebrandii_blueform.png

And here's another picture from my yard after last week's cold weather days. It's my potted, partially freeze-dried Ficus rubiginosa 'variegata'. This was the first winter I was able to leave it outside all winter without damage... until last week! :( I was late throwing frost cloth over it. It's a very hardy species and I expect it to recover well once the weather warms up. I like that it can take the intense summer sun here without complaint.

Ficus_rubiginosa_variegata.png

• Upvote 1

The coldest so far in Guada La Habra has been 37 F. I usually get at least a few days in this range each winter.

The only casualty appears to be a pair of Gaussia gomez ponapae that were under shade cloth.

Except for the timing this is a lot like typical January weather without rain; cold, clear and dry.

Hmm. I suspect we might’ve dodged a 2007-style big freeze bullet because this is happening now instead of earlier in the year.

@happ what do you think?

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

The coldest so far in Guada La Habra has been 37 F. I usually get at least a few days in this range each winter.

The only casualty appears to be a pair of Gaussia gomez ponapae that were under shade cloth.

Except for the timing this is a lot like typical January weather without rain; cold, clear and dry.

Hmm. I suspect we might’ve dodged a 2007-style big freeze bullet because this is happening now instead of earlier in the year.

@happ what do you think?

I Wholeheartedly agree with your suspicions DD.

The weather we're having now seems like the aftermath of a very cold winter (In CA)...

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

7 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

I Wholeheartedly agree with your suspicions DD.

The weather we're having now seems like the aftermath of a very cold winter (In CA)...

Last Monday I spent a holiday evening moving plants into sheltered spots, fearing that a freeze might be underestimated. 150-200 plants. I'll leave them there for now, till spring REALLY comes like it's supposed to.

Turned out I was wrong, but a freeze scare is much better than a freeze.

• Upvote 2

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

@happ what do you think?

Hi Dave,

Historically the coldest air of winter is in December but February/ March can get frost especially considering latitudes in California are the same as lower Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, northern Texas]. I was surprised that the NWS in LA & San Diego waited so long to issue frost advisories last week but correctly identified the areas where freezing was widespread such as Corona/ Chino/ Ramona/ Rancho Bernardo/ Oceanside but unlike 2007, most areas were above freezing. San Diego provides insight into how diverse temperatures can be over a relatively short distance.

Coldest minimums this month:

Lindbergh Field: 44

Brown Field: 33

Montgomery Field: 37.

Interestingly, there is discussion of how the recent "Sudden Stratospheric Warming" event dislodged the Baja Ridge of high pressure from California to Florida. That could have a long range impact of hopefully wetter conditions but also cold temps.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

On 2/25/2018, 12:06:40, Jim in Los Altos said:

Fortunately, despite last night being the coldest night of the season here, it stayed above freezing but just barely. No frost damage even on heliconia. Lots of rain on the way later in the week, possibly 2" here. 

Funny thing, brugmansia were completely defoliated while heliconia scheidiana less than 2 feet away were untouched. 

My infamous Low Rider Morning Glory of DoomTM suffered serious damage from what appears to me to be sun exposure after a cold snap.

I snapped a few pics today, on a rather gloomy, cloudy day. Plants don't seem like they were too bothered though. 

Bronze cast on beccariophoenix alfredii

Screenshot_20180226-125657.thumb.jpg.831

Minor burns on jubaeopsis - dry tips were pre-existing

Screenshot_20180226-130253.thumb.jpg.711

Bronze color on Phoenix rupicola 

Screenshot_20180226-132942.thumb.jpg.02b

Spotting on wodyetia - also I have several plumeria in this area that are leafless, but otherwise unharmed. You can see one rooted stem cutting off to the left in this picture, and the yellow leaves of another on the far right at the bottom of the picture. 

Screenshot_20180226-132727.thumb.jpg.a09

20180226_133118.thumb.jpg.e8c0822d969d18

Edited by Josue Diaz
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Josue Diaz said:

Funny thing, brugmansia were completely defoliated while heliconia scheidiana less than 2 feet away were untouched. 

This is from last week. Brugmansia are wonderful.

2-25-18.jpg

• Upvote 4

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Awesome! Mine were loaded with flower buds too when the frost hit. I'm going to fertilize them heavily and hope to get a good bloom before the heat of summer stops them from blooming.

7 minutes ago, happ said:

This is from last week. Brugmansia are wonderful.

56 minutes ago, Josue Diaz said:

No damage to my young bismarkia

Screenshot_20180226-133004.jpg

I love the color on cold stressed juvenile Bizmarkia. 

When the cold front came through, the frost structure blew off of my remaining Bizmarkia and was damaged.  It is now patched and tied down.  Will see how it fared once we are in a more stable weather pattern.   

Robert

9A

Did a survey over the weekend and older, sky facing Washintonia fronds are bronzing, Jacaranda was leafing out and now fried.  Jubaeopsis under "mostly" full canopy showing some bronzing were the sky was visible, the other mostly exposed one was brown after day one.  Surprisingly, not much more looks terribly damaged.  The sunny, warm-ish days helped to mitigate along with longer daylight hours.

I am sure there will be some bud rot once we hit the 80's.

Robert

9A

I'm in Davis, CA, which seems to be a solid 9b.  I don't think the cold has hit us as hard as some places in the central valley.  That said, the palm obsession is somewhat new to me, so all of my palms are still in pots.  This fall I found a good deal on some 9' western red cedar and 8' x 2' twin wall polycarbonate, so I enclosed my southeast facing covered front porch.  So I was able to squeeze all of my palms and tropicals into my 140 sq. ft. "Conservatory"...probably the coolest thing I did last year.

IMG_3600.jpg

IMG_3736.jpg

IMG_3616.jpg

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, enigma99 said:

Right now it's 40 outside.. and raining hard.. wow this is cold!

Yes, I tried to save some of that rainwater for my indoor plants. At least in my location there didn't seem to be any of the heavy hailstorms areas of Sacto experienced today.:unsure:

11 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Dave I think you answered the question for yourself.  Had we encountered this weather in late December or early January, the nights would have been longer, so the duration of cold would have been that much worse.  It's amazing how quickly temps begin to rise as soon as the sun comes over the ridge to the east of my yard.  With the exception of one night (Saturday into Sunday 2/25), all of my lows have come just before the glow in the eastern sky becomes sunlight over the ridge.  So yes, another hour of those dark conditions would have exacerbated the potential for damage.

• Upvote 3

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

13 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

That IS strange. 

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

NWS_LA

"Will probably need some frost advisories and/or freeze warnings 
  for parts of the coast and valleys tonight as clearing skies and 
  light winds should result in near to slightly below freezing 
  temps."

Be prepared for cold weather this week. At least I measured 0.12 from showers overnight.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

16 hours ago, Tracy said:

Dave I think you answered the question for yourself.  Had we encountered this weather in late December or early January, the nights would have been longer, so the duration of cold would have been that much worse.  It's amazing how quickly temps begin to rise as soon as the sun comes over the ridge to the east of my yard.  With the exception of one night (Saturday into Sunday 2/25), all of my lows have come just before the glow in the eastern sky becomes sunlight over the ridge.  So yes, another hour of those dark conditions would have exacerbated the potential for damage.

Good insight!

12 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

That IS strange. 

Yep,  even hoya carnosa was untouched. Heliconia schiedeana is circled in green,  the brugmansia in yellow,  and hoya in blue. 

20180227_130724.jpg

2 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Good insight!

Sunrise to sunset on December 21st is an hour and 26 minutes shorter than the daylight hours on February 21st at Scripps Pier La Jolla, CA.  I look at that info when I check the tides, winds and surf for the next morning.  You have to know when the sun rises so you can be in the water before it happens and the crowds arrive!  Just ask MattyB.

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation