IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ca freeze

enigma99

Weird weather this winter. This a placeholder for Monday and Tuesday nights in California as a low drops down with really cold air. Today is in the 70s, by tomorrow the temps will be dropping sharply. 

Average date for last possible frost for my area is Jan 31st, so this is certainly freaky weather. I think it could possibly have some implications on agriculture as well since it is unusual.

Currently my winter low so far was a night of 32F. Forecasts say 28 and 29! Oh well. One bonus getting hit so late is it should help with recovery once it warms up again. I didn’t want to have to clean up the bananas after a freeze since they are still up. Other than that, I expect things to hopefully be fine

Edited by enigma99

Worth noting that long range models favor cooler than average though perhaps drier than we would want in this horrible drought. Wonder if this is SSW related? Model guidance keeps minimums above freezing in SoCal with extended period of cool and probably dry conditions.

2-17-18a.jpg

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Actual winter this season took a detour and seems it will be arriving late. But it will arrive no less. They're calling for 4c lows the first three days of next week. 

I honestly thought we were out of it for this year. I don't think we have seen anything below 8c these past two months.

Guess I gotta put the tarps up tomorrow evening..

• Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

My minimum up here in the Bay Area so far this winter is 40F. We may drop to 33 or 34F early in the week with highs in the 50s. That contrasts to mostly 60s to 80F and lows in the 40s and 50s all winter. We are expecting rain later in the week which we so desperately need. 

• Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Wunderground is forcasting 33-34 for the low.  Hopefully we will get some clouds and miss a freeze.  So far this has been a very mild winter with very minimal cold damage.  Many plants are pushing their sping growth including citrus.  If it gets cold in the central valley will the almonds and other crops suffer big looses?

Weather Underground is saying we're getting down to 25. Hopefully we don't get that cold. Think I'll be protecting a few palms but at least most of my stuff can handle that kind of freeze.

National Weather Service has been slow forecasting frost/ freeze warnings/ watches in SoCal due to model differences. Today they have identified Santa Barbara/ Ventura counties/ Inland Empire at risk for widespread freezing at least one night this week.  

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

On 2/17/2018, 11:10:54, Jubaea said:

Wunderground is forcasting 33-34 for the low.  Hopefully we will get some clouds and miss a freeze.  So far this has been a very mild winter with very minimal cold damage.  Many plants are pushing their sping growth including citrus.  If it gets cold in the central valley will the almonds and other crops suffer big looses?

I don't think this is one of those freezes that'll damage fruit and nut crops. 

We're forecast to drop to 30, 32, 34 and 35 this week. I'm not worried about this cold wave - I don't have anything that'll be damaged by those temps. Even new growth on citrus should be fine at those temps. 

This is a cold event during an otherwise warm winter. 

I love formation of cumulus mediocris within the cold trough. Windy here off and on; now mostly cloudy. 30's are a real possibility tonight.

@SoCalWxWatcher

2-19-18.jpg

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Yeah I'm only worried about a few cycads that are flushing out right now. Other than that I have a lot of rare dypsis and stuff that have turned out to be better grows for my climate than some say . So i figurethis  week specially tonight will be the true test . Can't wait to see how my Copernicia baileyana and dypsis ovobontsira do. I show i will have a low of 34 tonight 38 to 40 the rest of the week

All but one of my Copernicia Baileyana went through 26 in a covered house this year with zero issues. One has a little yellowing.  Usually the damage that I see in my houses is right on with the "damage" reports in SoCal.

• Upvote 1

NW winds continue to blow, and keep drying the air out and lowering the dew point. Winds will stop around 6, allowing the air cool to around the dew point which is currently 26. NWS says a low of 29 for me, but I expect a little lower based on how dry things are. Tomorrow is supposed to be clear for me so just a one night event perhaps. Of course factors like any wind and especially wind from the NE which comes from the warm hills to the east can help moderate. All I know it is going to be cold :)

Edited by enigma99

34°f to 39°f are forecast lows for me tonight in Laguna Hills.  I am typically a bit colder in my yard than the forecast.  At 37°f I reliably see frost somewhere in the yard.  

I have taken some precautions with fans, and sheets and etc for smaller more tender plants.

Like many others, I thought winter was behind us.  I started Spring planting already.  Oops! 

• Upvote 2

2:45 am and 5c .

I'm trying to keep up with the Jonses. 

7am is going to be the deciding coup de grace.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

21.8F with a 20F dew point at 5AM.  Record low for this date was reported at 35F.  The low this winter was 28F and we have been in false spring since most of the winter.  This is going to be bad. 

Socal, if you are not in an urban heat island, protect your sensitive plants.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

It was cold last night that's for sure. In my barn, er, house it was quite chilly, kitties cuddling close for warmth on the bed.

According to the thermo in the Silver Bullet, it was 37 F. I had a couple ad-hoc thermos that showed much lower temps.I'm going to test them for accuracy and pray for inaccuracy . . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Good luck yall! We in the east know all too well what you're going through. 

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

I question my weather station which actually read 24 this morning. Near by station read 29 just a stone throw away but still it got frosty here. Alocasia, canna, and bananas fried but giant bird of paradise look fine.

20180220_074822.jpg

27 or 28 this morning. Station at my house is offline so I can only guess. Cold! Hopefully tonight will be better

TWC says 33F for tonight 

Edited by enigma99

2 hours ago, iwan said:

21.8F with a 20F dew point at 5AM.  Record low for this date was reported at 35F.  The low this winter was 28F and we have been in false spring since most of the winter.  This is going to be bad. 

Socal, if you are not in an urban heat island, protect your sensitive plants.

Wow that's cold. I got down to 36F. No damage to my bananas or heliconia scheidiana which are my indicators of frost. The urban heat island effect is a real thing. I wonder how cold @xvang01 got.

We're forecast to drop to 32 tonight, then 37, and 33 before going back up to "normal" nighttime lows. 

Coldest morning of winter w/ widespread 30's reported though mostly above freezing in SoCal & a tad warmer in foothills. More of the same tonight and cooler than average for the week. No frost/ minimum: 41°

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

One night and done. But my bananas got damaged... I was hoping not to have to do all the trimming this year. Oh well! Nothing looks like it has any real damage

There was ice this morning in Rancho Bernardo

NWS_SD

2-20-18.jpg

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

3 hours ago, happ said:

There was ice this morning in Rancho Bernardo

Yes, those strong onshore winds which brought in the storm and some sprinkles on Monday turned NNE, which diminished the moderating effects of the ocean.  Clouds on the coast act like a blanket, holding in some of the heat, as the ocean is still hovering around 60-61 degrees locally.  When the winds flip, they bring the colder inland air to the coast.  I hit 34 degrees and had frost on my car and local rooftops this morning.  Took my dog for a walk on the bluffs above the ocean and just one block east of the ocean on the downhill side of the bluffs there was frost on some of the cars.  I'm not at all surprised to see that amount of frost in Rancho Bernardo based on what we had here.  Fortunately no damage to any of the cold sensitive plants as there was no frost forming on any of them, only on the metalic surfaces and some of the rooftops.  Things are cooling rapidly as the sun drops, but the local forecast low for tonight is 44 and partly cloudy.  If it's partially cloudy that's possible, but if its clear and offshore, I won't be surprised by more sub 40's with another possibility of frost locally.  Micro-climates are interesting.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Bottomed out at 21.5F @17F dew point.  Very little frost on cars or the ground, but frost on rooftops.  The winds mitigated (or damaged) most attempts at freeze control.  Jubaeopsis caffra exposed to the sky already brown.  I will not be planting my remaining ones.  One Jubaeopsis under full canopy looks fine so far.

Dew point 19F before sunset tonight, but there is a thin cloud layer keeping the temps from dropping at the moment.  Hopefully it stays around all night, or temps will plummet again.  Some sources are forecasting the chance of light snow on the valley floor for Friday AM.

• Upvote 1

Robert

9A

Sorry to hear all this winter news. Let's move winter to just, say, elevations above 5000 ft and Ohio.

• Upvote 1

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

No frost here despite our lowest temperature of the season at 35F. Last night bottomed out at 40F. The morning sun is bright but it will struggle to get to 60F today, probably upper 50s though. The week is going to be cooler than average for sure and any rain will be a very chilly rain. 

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

5 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

No frost here despite our lowest temperature of the season at 35F. Last night bottomed out at 40F. The morning sun is bright but it will struggle to get to 60F today, probably upper 50s though. The week is going to be cooler than average for sure and any rain will be a very chilly rain. 

Lucky you only got to 35. This actually is the coldest I have been since 2013. You must have a really good microclimate -- let's trade yards. 

Edited by enigma99

5.4c was the lowest I got.

7 hours ago, enigma99 said:

Lucky you only got to 35. This actually is the coldest I have been since 2013. You must have a really good microclimate -- let's trade yards. 

Cold northerly winds blow across the warmer SF Bay moderating temps here in my South Bay location. North Bay locations do not benefit and, as a result, are often 5 to 10 degrees colder. I imagine my modest elevation of just over 300 feet is beneficial as well. My heliconia haven't been frost damaged in five years. Hopefully the remainder of the chill period is not too bad for you guys down south either. 

Edited by Jim in Los Altos

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Low yesterday was 23.5F with minimal frost and 32.8F today with no frost.  I don't remember ever seeing freezes in CA without heavy ground frost. 

Dew points in the teens are scary!

Will survey the damage this weekend.  It will be interesting to see the frost vs freeze tolerance of plants. 

Robert

9A