IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The 20th Annual Spring Searle Brothers Plant Extravaganza! -●●●- March 2nd, 3rd, 4th – 9th, 10th, 11th 2018 -●●- S. Florida

Palmarum

Searle Brothers Nursery, Inc. &

The Rainforest Collection ®

presents...

The 20th Annual Spring

Plant Extravaganza!

March 2nd, 3rd, 4th - 9th, 10th, 11th

As reminders of Hurricane Irma remain throughout South Florida, the plant world surges forth to replant, add and grow on. Those with plants in heart and mind do so with both the new species we discover and the tried-and-true plants we rely upon. Last years fall plant sale season was close in time to Irma's impact, thus leaving the upcoming Spring season to supply the material needed to fill that hole in the yard, the spot in the garden and the loss in the collection. In addition to storm related plantings, Springtime in S. Florida is always a great time to dive into dirt with plant in hand. Although we tend to install material year-round in the southern end of the state, the Spring is always at the forefront. It's not too hot or humid to work in the yard, and the regular thunderstorms have yet to arrive. The cold extremes experienced during the winter could have been better, but they could have just as easily been worse. I had a few nights and early mornings in the mid 30's early in January. I had no cold damage among the tender specimens that I use as tell-tale plants. The nursery has been getting ready for the Spring 'Ganza for over a month and the plant material is primed for display. I am sure the atmosphere will be heightened to include talk on everything going on the plant world, including the upcoming Biennial in Colombia.

The Searle Brothers Plant Extravaganzas have become exciting plant sales and a great way for IPS Members, Palmtalk Forum Members and fellow tropical palm & plant enthusiasts to come together and meet in the South Florida area. The events have always been a great way to spend a weekend in the company of those who share your passion for gardening and collecting tropical ornamental plants. To describe the events as just mere plant sales would be an understatement; as they have become much more in the form of social events for our friends and family. Forum members, friends and fellow plant collectors have all come from far and wide to attend and we are continuously surprised in the distances they will cover to share in the event. In regards to the following details, I have tried to include as much information about the upcoming Spring 'Ganza as I could. If you see something that you know should be included and it is missing, please post the idea(s) here or contact me, Jeff Searle or the nursery with the methods listed below and let us know...

DSC_0177.thumb.JPG.b71f58265f660e75690f8DSC_0217.thumb.JPG.4d5a9a0ea112c04711443DSC_0185.thumb.JPG.f0ef1e3321233af91f124

South Florida Location:
Searle Brothers Nursery, Inc.
6640 SW 172nd Avenue
Southwest Ranches, Florida 33331
Western Broward County
*see Map below...

Spring 2018 Schedule:
Friday, March 2nd - 8:00AM - 5:00PM
Saturday, March 3rd - 8:00AM - 5:00PM 
Sunday, March 4th - 9:00AM - 4:00PM

also the following weekend...
Friday, March 9th - 8:00AM - 5:00PM
Saturday, March 10th - 8:00AM - 5:00PM
Sunday, March 11th - 9:00AM - 4:00PM

DSC_0205.thumb.JPG.959087cc9a30ad16c7211DSC_0434.thumb.JPG.48a58451299b8b5beb1baDSC_0495.thumb.JPG.7c92563d97e045e729a63DSC_0635.thumb.JPG.d35763baffacc67f5397fDSC_0211.thumb.JPG.70bc5aac8d6bb07b4a161

Barbecue Lunch:
Our Famous Weekend Free BBQ Lunch
First Weekend: (Saturday 11:00AM - 2:00PM) & (Sunday, 11:00AM - 2:00PM) (or until supplies last)

Contact List:
Nursery Office #: (954) 434-7681
Nursery Fax #: (954) 680-2750
Nursery Website: http://www.rainforestcollection.com/

Jeff Searle: phone #: (954) 658-4317 Email: palms@rainforestcollection.com
Private Message - Jeff Searle: Jeff Searle PM
Ryan (Palmarum) Email: palmthetree@yahoo.com or PM me a message through the Forum

DSC_0081.thumb.JPG.deaf8701aaead64c259b6DSC_0608.thumb.JPG.51a1bf87597fbb5dcd36cDSC_0239.thumb.JPG.34842c430c7664f094156DSC_0253.thumb.JPG.f4103ffc2221d34c19e265a80e4d6c2987_DSC_0493(2).thumb.JPG.bfcd

Directions:
The map below is a general street map of western Broward County, Florida showing the location of the nursery (Palm tree symbol). Using Sheridan Street would be the best option to get to the nursery if you are heading west through the area. If you are taking the Florida Turnpike, use the Griffin Road exit from the north, or the Pines Blvd. exit from the south. If you need any additional directions, please contact the nursery, Jeff or I (Ryan). When you get close to the nursery, look for large power lines as they run east and west above the nursery. Parking is along the shoulder of 172nd Avenue in front of, and down the street from, the nursery entrance. If you intend to arrive early before sunrise (and many usually do) be wary of hard-to-see speed bumps along 172nd Avenue and there is a possibility of a speed trap as well. The has been considerable construction along I-75 so the exits near Sheridan Street and Griffin Road have been changed slightly. I-75 is in the process of adding a set of express lanes, but they are not quite finished, including a possible exit/entrance near Sheridan Street.

scan0004.jpg.6aa4e0af8afc68ca64d5e35e785

Plant Availability, Photo Requests:

For plant availability including a copy of the ever-growing list of palms, cycads and other information regarding which plants and species will be for sale, please contact the nursery, Jeff Searle or I (Ryan). The plant selection process has already begun and will continue right up to the last day before the first morning of the Extravaganza, (sometimes even on the mornings of the event if the need applies.) The sale lists for palms, cycads and crotons will be made available as soon as they are completed. Special selections might be pulled for sale as requests, but only if the plants are available. There will be certain species, varieties and cultivars that will only be available in limited quantities. These rarer plants will likely sell out quickly in the morning hours, so be sure to arrange your wish list accordingly. Plant groups may have been moved around the sales area, relocated, or added in with others. In order to speed your way to your favorite plants please ask a nearby staff member or volunteer as to their location.

Like with previous events, I will be able to provide preview photos of the actual plants for sale. They will be posted in this topic for those who are interested. Send me a message or an email with the names of the plants you would like to see. Sale booklets or sale lists will be made available at the Extravaganza. They will include the list of palms, cycads and crotons for sale. Brochure holders along the main shade house sidewalk will have the booklets/sale lists on display. As soon as I have a basic draft list of species and varieties for sale, I will be able to email or PM it to anyone who would want a copy. Each plant will be priced with either a lavender tag or will have the price written on the pot.

DSC_0195.thumb.JPG.5179fd6b2983fb5123f1aDSC_0939.thumb.JPG.050bc7325a99ec0c96625DSC_0301.thumb.JPG.4f08006a6ce6a5eb4a269DSC_0219.thumb.JPG.73b14f44bc2cdfe4c0c33

Featured Plant Groups:
The plant selection at the Extravaganza is constantly growing and changing. The largest and most diverse group is by far the Palms, of which there will be over 300 species available in various different sizes. The selection will include genera and species from around the world. A large amount of Crotons will also be on display as their demand has increased production to new levels. I am currently working on a batch of new display cards for a large variety of different plants...

Palms:

Aroids: - Bromeliads:

Butterfly Plants: - Cycads: - Crotons:

Cordylines: - Ferns: - Heliconias and Gingers: - Orchids:

Tropical Flowering Trees, Shrubs, & Vines:

Landscape Ornamentals: - Tropical Fruit Trees:

Rare and Hard-to-find Exotics:

and many more:
There is always a chance a new & exotic species of tropical plant will make its way into the sales area.

DSC_0979.thumb.JPG.7eac3e2b72195f0031d80DSC_0946.thumb.JPG.02b3c76a935618bc5af6fDSC_0947.thumb.JPG.8631afe45b803a0871bc0DSC_0957.thumb.JPG.2f2557f8ba4feb41b507aDSC_0035.thumb.JPG.2301a933f803219044696

The Sale Flyer:
The nursery will soon mail out sale flyers to everyone on our mailing list. If you are on the mailing list and do not receive one, please let Jeff or myself know. In addition, if you would like to be placed on the mailing list for future Extravaganza flyers, please send a message to Jeff or myself with your address.

Ganza_flyer_S18.thumb.jpg.ddd6dde2e7d087

Plant Carts:
We do provide a limited number of carts for customers to use, but it is recommended that you bring your own plant shopping conveyance. The carts do go quickly in the morning of each day, soon after the gates open and customers make their way to the sales area. During the day when they are returned from the holding area or from the parking lot, they are placed back on the concrete pad across from the register area or near the holding area along the main road.

DSC_0934.thumb.JPG.a4143ffcfb629b5830c8fDSC_0942.thumb.JPG.c554d580d48f9b8493a86DSC_0937.thumb.JPG.6dfa7476340483140586e

Accommodations:
A comfortable Hampton Inn is located within a short driving distance of the nursery. It has been used by our customers, volunteers and family members in the past who travel a long way to reach the 'Ganza and who require a comfortable place to stay. The Hampton Inn Pembroke Pines/Ft. Lauderdale West is located at the intersection of I-75 and Sheridan Street. (see map above...) If you like to inquire about the hotel, follow the link below:

Hampton Inn Pembroke Pines - Fort Lauderdale West
Link: http://www.hamptoninnpembrokepines.com/

Previous Extravaganza:
The Fall 'Ganza from late last year was one of our most interesting Fall events ever, including a hurricane related impact on the event. It was great to have seen so many familiar faces throughout all six days. It was a sale to remember, in both what plants were popular and the sharing of hurricane stories. I have included a link to the sale topic from last Fall, showing the action from the event, including a recap of Hurricane Irma's impact on the nursery...

Link: Fall Extravaganza 2017

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/55182-the-19th-annual-fall-ganza-palms-at-the-edge-of-irma/&page=1

DSC_0956.thumb.JPG.2adeef19d5f34782649b1DSC_0973.thumb.JPG.67364c480f92ff4674d20DSC_0976.thumb.JPG.314ae61f9fea88dbc45a8DSC_0936.thumb.JPG.2879a2d419b78d10d4f23

Information and Invitation:
If you need any more details regarding plants, directions, or anything that I have not included above, feel free to contact the nursery, Jeff Searle or myself by the methods mentioned above. Feel free to post any messages, questions, etc. in this topic. Jeff Searle, I and all the family members and volunteers look forward to meeting everyone including new and familiar Palmtalk Forum members and IPS members at the upcoming Extravaganza. Be sure to find one of us and introduce yourself. You will be sure to find other Forum members at the event as well, possibly walking right past you down an aisle or grabbing for the same plant. The entire Searle family and the mass of volunteers will be waiting to help you find that perfect plant.

We hope to see you there!

Ryan

╠══════════════════════════════════

• Upvote 1

South Florida

Thanks Ryan, I just wanted to mention that today I started pulling palms and placing them out on the sidewalk. The collection will be good, as I really concentrated on getting everything I possibly could potted up over the last 3 months or so. Especially the gallon species on the tables. It should be an exciting sale!

Jeff

• Upvote 2

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Is BS Man about Palms showing up for this event? :huh: The last time he brought a cold front and rare March frost. :D

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2018‎ ‎4‎:‎32‎:‎06‎, Moose said:

Is BS Man about Palms showing up for this event? :huh: The last time he brought a cold front and rare March frost. :D

Not telling. That's a so very long trip for someone to make. Would like to see him........

• Upvote 2

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Plan on being there on the 7th. B) Such a warm winter, everything should look great

On 2/14/2018, 8:07:26, Jeff Searle said:

Not telling. That's a so very long trip for someone to make. Would like to see him........

Yes. It's true. I shall be there carrying some of the extra heat we have enjoyed this winter.. B).. but only on the first weekend. :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

10 hours ago, Missi said:

@Moose, can you make it on the 2nd instead? @BS Man about Palms, will you be there on the 2nd?

@CB Lisa and I plan to be there the 2nd, opening day! PT meetup!! :yay:

Missi - I hope you realize that BS Man about Palms will have wisked away all the Cyrtostachys hybrids by then. :rolleyes:

12 hours ago, Missi said:

@Moose, can you make it on the 2nd instead? @BS Man about Palms, will you be there on the 2nd?

@CB Lisa and I plan to be there the 2nd, opening day! PT meetup!! :yay:

I can't speak for Ron, (Moose), but Bill (BS MAN) should be here the first day of our sale. He gets in on thursday here.  How exciting that you and Lisa will be making an appearance. Make sure you look us all up and introduce yourselves. I look forward to meeting you both. Jim and Judy Glock ( Glock 1 ) will be here as well from Ft Myers. And others from Palm Talk as well.

• Upvote 3

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

2 hours ago, Moose said:

Missi - I hope you realize that BS Man about Palms will have wisked away all the Cyrtostachys hybrids by then. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately I have no small ones to offer. Only large ones in 20gallon pots.

• Upvote 1

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

On 2/21/2018, 10:50:34, Jeff Searle said:

:o:rant:

:P

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

On 2/21/2018, 10:50:34, Jeff Searle said:

Well I wasnt gonna be able to make this during your extravaganza, Gonna be in town the weekafter, but maybe I'll make the ride down 2 weeks early just to grab one of those!

Looking for:  crytostachys hybrids, Pseudophoenix sargentii Leucothrinax morrisii, livingstona canarensis

great to hear that Bill will be making an appearance!  I'm thankful for the year I was able to attend.  If it wasn't such a long flight for me now, I'd have to make it happen again.  

I hope you have a great sale Jeff! 

I have the first draft of the Palm & Cycad list ready for viewing. It has been posted over at Palmpedia/Tropiscape, use the link below to the topic and scroll towards the newest post:

Link: http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/threads/20th-annual-spring-searle-plant-extravaganza-●●●-march-2nd-3rd-4th-–-9th-10th-11th-2018.5907/

The list is still being worked on as the selection is still being pulled and placed around the sales area. I would put the list at around 90% complete, with a few more additions possible during the week. I was recreating this topic over at Tropiscape, but I was having issues with the formatting, so it might look at little different.

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

Drat! Palmpedia is not loading for me this morning! :rant: The list! I must see the list!! :interesting:

:innocent:

• Upvote 2

The link is not loading for me either. Do you think Jeff and Ryan are trying to torment us?

• Upvote 1

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

2 hours ago, Tracy S said:

The link is not loading for me either. Do you think Jeff and Ryan are trying to torment us?

That must EXACTLY be what they're doing, the devils! :evil::floor:

10 hours ago, Missi said:

Drat! Palmpedia is not loading for me this morning! :rant: The list! I must see the list!! :innocent:

9 hours ago, Tracy S said:

I was having some issues with the forum off and on for a few days. I had a problem starting the topic and then adding the palm list. It seems to be working now, but I will send the list to both of you just in case.

I will remake the link, just in case:

Link to topic:http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/threads/20th-annual-spring-searle-plant-extravaganza-●●●-march-2nd-3rd-4th-–-9th-10th-11th-2018.5907/

Link to Croton Society sub-forum:http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/forums/the-croton-society.26/

Ryan

• Upvote 2

South Florida

I have the Croton list ready for inspection, it is also posted over at Palmpedia. It is just about complete at 124 cultivars. I found a few more Palms today and I will add them to another post over at the Palmpedia topic.

Link to post:http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/threads/20th-annual-spring-searle-plant-extravaganza-●●●-march-2nd-3rd-4th-–-9th-10th-11th-2018.5907/#post-60985

Ryan

South Florida

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2018‎ ‎10‎:‎49‎:‎06‎, Jeff Searle said:

I can't speak for Ron, (Moose), but Bill (BS MAN) should be here the first day of our sale. He gets in on thursday here.  How exciting that you and Lisa will be making an appearance. Make sure you look us all up and introduce yourselves. I look forward to meeting you both. Jim and Judy Glock ( Glock 1 ) will be here as well from Ft Myers. And others from Palm Talk as well.

I can speak for the Moose, he is coming. Trying to finagle getting off on Friday. It's been awhile since Bill has visited. Should I bring Diet Dr. Pepper?

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Moose said:

I can speak for the Moose, he is coming. Trying to finagle getting off on Friday. It's been awhile since Bill has visited. Should I bring Diet Dr. Pepper?

Oh yes, the Diet Dr. Pepper, I almost forgot about that.

South Florida

18 hours ago, Moose said:

YEAAA! Come Friday!! I don't like Diet, can you throw a regular in there please? :yay: Just kidding! :mrlooney: Obviously this is an inside joke. :hmm: However, now I'm craving a Dr. Pepper. Thank goodness it's lunch break soon...

• Upvote 1

Just got home from the nursery and the sales area is full of material of all kinds. There is still some odd and end stuff to do tomorrow morning, but the plants are primed. This warmer than usual weather has everything churning out leaves like crazy. When I left, Jeff was working on stuff with Forum members Bill Sanford (BS Man about Palms) and Tim O'Donnel (kwtimo). I could hear them in the distance, talking plants, laughing, etc. It is going to be a great weekend weather wise, Saturday should be phenomenal with the cool down. We should have more than our allotment of Forum members in attendance, so it should be interesting. The Palm and Cycad list stands at around 278 species, and a good number more in sizes. We added a few more today, most were landscape species. I ran out of time to post photos and photo requests, but if the plants are still around for the second weekend, I will post them. See you at the sale,

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2018‎ ‎4‎:‎56‎:‎51‎, Moose said:

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2018‎ ‎5‎:‎14‎:‎03‎, Palmarum said:

Oh yes, the Diet Dr. Pepper, I almost forgot about that.

You did forget, I reminded you.

7 hours ago, Missi said:

YEAAA! Come Friday!! I don't like Diet, can you throw a regular in there please? :yay: Just kidding! :mrlooney: Obviously this is an inside joke. :hmm: However, now I'm craving a Dr. Pepper. Thank goodness it's lunch break soon...

BS Man about Palms is the Diet Dr. Pepper aficionado.

Asked the boss for Friday off early this morning. He consented. Dropping off paperwork then on to the sale. Will be at the gate before it opens. Let the PRA begin!.

• Upvote 2

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2018‎ ‎11‎:‎00‎:‎58‎, BS Man about Palms said:

Yes. It's true. I shall be there carrying some of the extra heat we have enjoyed this winter.. B).. but only on the first weekend. :D

Triode too?

More or less imposible to show up on Friday, but the lists are neat.  In the croton department, I finally broke down and got one from Peters.  'Aucubifolia'  The yellow spotted leaves are ringers for Aucuba, a popular Japanese shrub farther north that allegedly can be grown down here, but I haven't gotten anywhere with.  

My little Copernicia baileyana from last sale is not yet in a forever home but growing nicely.  I've got a bigger one going.  Curiously, it flopped over in Irma, so is getting propped, but there's 3 new leaves getting ready to unfurl.  

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

8 hours ago, Moose said:

Triode too?

:floor:

Up at 5:00 to make the 1 hour 30-something minute drive across the state. Hoping to make it before 8... We'll see how that goes as it is quite a foggy morning here. :badday:Regardless, I'll be there, Gorilla Cart in tow! :greenthumb::yay:

• Upvote 2

Missi,

I'm looking forward to meeting you and other plan talkers in person. Any thoughts on how we will find each other. I would hate to have to fight you for my palms. Maybe,we,should shop first! :D

• Upvote 3

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

Wish I was coming! I might be able to go down Sunday, possibly next weekend..

• Upvote 1

Looking for:  crytostachys hybrids, Pseudophoenix sargentii Leucothrinax morrisii, livingstona canarensis

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2018‎ ‎8‎:‎31‎:‎21‎, Moose said:

The price on these just skyrocked. I got the history behind how this hybrid came about. There may not be any available until the hybrids flower. Then see if the seed can develop, seed viability, what traits are spread to the progeny? Some discerning collector rolled in and snatched them up yesterday afternoon. This palm just became uber rare on availability. .

• Upvote 3

Sure wish I could be there, but lots to do in PR now that I finally have both water and electricity.

Have fun everyone and post lots of photos please!

• Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

On 3/2/2018, 7:46:56, Tracy S said:

Missi,

I'm looking forward to meeting you and other plan talkers in person. Any thoughts on how we will find each other. I would hate to have to fight you for my palms. Maybe,we,should shop first! :D

Hi @Tracy S! I'm so sorry I missed you yesterday :( I didn't see your post in time as I'm just logging back in to PT for the first time since yesterday morning before I left. I got there shortly after 8 and stayed until around 1, I think it was. Did you end up going yesterday?

5 hours ago, Moose said:

The price on these just skyrocked. I got the history behind how this hybrid came about. There may not be any available until the hybrids flower. Then see if the seed can develop, seed viability, what traits are spread to the progeny? Some discerning collector rolled in and snatched them up yesterday afternoon. This palm just became uber rare on availability. .

@CB Lisa and I snuck around behind the BBQ area to take a close look at the massive, but pre-trunking, beautiful Mauritia flexuosa (impossible to get a full shot where it's located, but took a couple "artful" pics with my mobile). Right behind that is the BIG high-red Cyrtostachys hybrid. I took just one pic of it. I wish I took a close up of the striping on the red part, darn it. @Palmarum, @Jeff Searle...in that same area was a palm with the black spikes on its stem. What palm is this? I completely forgot to take a look at the leaves. My brain was fried by the sun at that point. :wacko: I went home with a 3 gallon Calyptrocalyx yamutumune (regretting I didn't grab a 3 gal. C. awa as well :rant:), Licuala spinosa, Dypsis mirabilis, Aloe 'Hedgehog' named Ryan :floor:, and a Hercules' Calla Lily (I think it is).

It was sooo amazing to meet and hang with Jeff, Ryan, @BS Man about Palms, @Moose, the nice couple from Ft. Myers/The Keys (can't remember their PT username(s)!), @kwtimo (who I don't think I talked to much but I remember seeing him - he was busy! everyone was BUSY but took time to chat!). Even though we all hate having our photos taken, I really regret not asking for a group pic :crying: I wish we could all hang out all the time. I had a blast with everyone. Everyone is so nice and incredibly knowledgeable! Lisa and I were WOWED by all the new info and growing ideas we learned! :wub: I will JUMP at the chance to do it again...though hopefully on a cooler day! :blink::lol:

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_1126.JPG

IMG_1127.JPG

• Upvote 4

Thank you to everyone for a great time yesterday at the sale! It was great fun meeting so many PTers and other palm and tropical plant lovers in person, and I walked away with new knowledge to put into action! 

And thank you, Jeff and the rest, for the help in deciding on and loading up the very nice Coccothrinax montana, and for the extra effort in looking ‘in the back’ for the already sold out Calyptrocalyx yamutumune! 

Here’s a pic of the C. Montana already standing proud in it’s new spot! 

C5428599-9E52-4B55-A031-11A4758E64B4.jpeg

• Upvote 6

Hi Lisa!

Oh that C. montana is stunning! Congratulations!

I will now better appreciate the potential in my seed grown babies.

Assuming I live long enough.....

Cindy Adair

The first weekend has now ended and I would like to thank all of you that came out and supported us. Sales are up, as many people were looking to replace hurricane damage palms. We had many PT members that came out and like Missy stated, a group picture would of been fun to do. I want to say, it was especially nice to finally meet Lisa and Missy. These young gals are super excited about their palm adventures, collecting, growing and learning.

• Upvote 1

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2018‎ ‎10‎:‎54‎:‎53‎, Missi said:

Hi @Tracy S! I'm so sorry I missed you yesterday :( I didn't see your post in time as I'm just logging back in to PT for the first time since yesterday morning before I left. I got there shortly after 8 and stayed until around 1, I think it was. Did you end up going yesterday?

@CB Lisa and I snuck around behind the BBQ area to take a close look at the massive, but pre-trunking, beautiful Mauritia flexuosa (impossible to get a full shot where it's located, but took a couple "artful" pics with my mobile). Right behind that is the BIG high-red Cyrtostachys hybrid. I took just one pic of it. I wish I took a close up of the striping on the red part, darn it. @Palmarum, @Jeff Searle...in that same area was a palm with the black spikes on its stem. What palm is this? I completely forgot to take a look at the leaves. My brain was fried by the sun at that point. :wacko: I went home with a 3 gallon Calyptrocalyx yamutumune (regretting I didn't grab a 3 gal. C. awa as well :rant:), Licuala spinosa, Dypsis mirabilis, Aloe 'Hedgehog' named Ryan :floor:, and a Hercules' Calla Lily (I think it is).

It was sooo amazing to meet and hang with Jeff, Ryan, @BS Man about Palms, @Moose, the nice couple from Ft. Myers/The Keys (can't remember their PT username(s)!), @kwtimo (who I don't think I talked to much but I remember seeing him - he was busy! everyone was BUSY but took time to chat!). Even though we all hate having our photos taken, I really regret not asking for a group pic :crying: I wish we could all hang out all the time. I had a blast with everyone. Everyone is so nice and incredibly knowledgeable! Lisa and I were WOWED by all the new info and growing ideas we learned! :wub: I will JUMP at the chance to do it again...though hopefully on a cooler day! :blink::lol:

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_1126.JPG

IMG_1127.JPG

On Saturday we had a couple show up inquiring when does a Mauritia flexuosa begin to flower? Our response was we don't know. They told us they have on 22 years in the ground and were curious. That is about the time Jeff planted this one. Off to the area behind the BBQ they went with Ryan, they just had to see it.

• Upvote 1