IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mule palm roots/trunk under water after heavy rain

Estlander

Hi. I’m on the FL panhandle and we get some heavy rains lasting 2 days straight sometimes. Experiencing one now as we speak actually. 

The side of the house that I recently planted a Mule palm at is quite a bit lower and is now under about 5 inches of water. 

Can Mule palms take an occasional flooding lasting for couple of days or should i replant it to a higher ground pronto?

The soil here is sandy, so should drain quickly once the rain stops.

Thanks

PS: The browning of the fronds is not from too much water. These are older fronds and were already like this prior to planting.

BFBC94C6-15EE-46E8-B107-198954D743C1.jpeg

Edited by Estlander

Considering that many palms survive saltwater inundation during tropical cyclones / hurricanes id hedge a bet that it should be fine once the rain subsides and the waters recede.   Florida is fairly flat and I see palms under water at times fairly regularly when we get heavy rains and they seem to be just fine.   Perhaps someone here knows better than I though.  Good luck and welcome to PalmTalk! 

Thanks DCA. Hoping that’s true. 

Also have a Pindo, Livistona Chinesis and Washingtonia Robusta under water now. And the rain just keeps on coming and coming and coming........ :(

Edited by Estlander