DoomsDave

Silver leaf on a golden afternoon

DoomsDave

The sun was sinking making the world glow.

I was sitting in my garden in front of my front door, and noted the striking silvery under-leaf of an Archontophoenix tuckeri.

Pan back a bit and note the golden infructescence of the Caryota urens nearby. It's been so warm, the Archies are blooming a number of months early.

D02D0A0E-809A-46D4-AED4-ECD567687622.thu0CCF733F-6F97-4AE2-83E2-F2C186667925.thu

• Upvote 12

Mostapha

That's looks very relaxing, nice how the sun shining onto something can really make you take notice.

Is that Caryota urens setting it's first seed bract. It's such a shame being that striking and then to have it put out it's seeds and then transpire.

I'm growing a C. himalayan maxma that seems to be quite a fast grower, moreso now, fall and winter than during the summer months. I've read that the C.maxima and C.urens are the same palm, but I think that is just a matter where they come from in the world.

Well enjoy your little piece of the world, I know I would be doing the same.

• Upvote 1

Kim

Yes, always good to take time to appreciate the beauty you have wrought. Well done, and thanks for giving us a peek.

• Upvote 1

Palm Tree Jim

Had the chance to stop by Dave's this past weekend.

A garden with so many great palms to see!

And those Caryota's are tall.

• Upvote 1

gtsteve

That's prurdy, real prurdy.

Mostapha

Hey Dave just wanted you to see a pic of my C. himalayan Maxima(C.urens?). This is grown inside in NYS just west of Albany. If you ever part with any of those seeds,  I would also be interested. I can clean them. That's queen palms in the bottom that just sprouted. Would just like you opinion how how it seems to look to you. Thanks. Mark

1518117643531-788775134.thumb.jpg.b04ab3

• Upvote 2

DoomsDave

So glad everyone likes the picture!

I'm going to remove the C. urens before the seeds come. That thing (along with its sibs) is a monster, and I can't in good conscience purvey the seeds or the plants. They get too big, too fast, and then they die, and have to be messily removed. But, it was lovely while it lasted!

Mostapha

It is a beauty, too bad it has to go. I know they are prone to just falling over, for no apparent reason. Not to curse you. Safety first. Well enjoy it while you can.

• Upvote 1

DoomsDave
28 minutes ago, Mostapha said:

It is a beauty, too bad it has to go. I know they are prone to just falling over, for no apparent reason. Not to curse you. Safety first. Well enjoy it while you can.

They are the first thing people see driving up. Like the Rockies, peeking over the plains, then getting larger. And larger. And larger.

• Upvote 1

Mostapha

Hopefully I'll have more need a while yet. Growing it potted, obviously, so growth a bit slower and more restrained. I have 14 ft ceilings here, and even though the house is full to the brim with plants I still get pretty good light inside, even on dreary days like yesterday. The darkest place in my house is the corner where the piano is. It's a 9 ft concert grand so it fits in nicely in my living room surrounded by all of the greenery.  My night blooming jasmine starts to hang over it periodically so I'm always rooting cutting of that. If I didn't the piano would be full of spent flowers all of the time.

I get asked alot about the humidity that I maintain here if it effects the piano, but with the dampp chaser it's perfect. Sorry to babble on. My conversations here are with my 22 year old twin, and like I told someone, those conversations are girls and video games.lol. Actually both boys both play the piano, and one enjoys the palms while the other enjoys the bonsai, so my legacy lives on.lol

• Upvote 1

Josh-O

:greenthumb: nice pic Dave!!

• Upvote 1