Sign in to follow this  
Eric in Orlando

Sabinaria magnifica in Central Florida, some cold hardiness

Eric in Orlando

This Sabinaria magnifica was planted out last spring here at Leu Gardens. I planted it in one of the warmest microclimates in the Garden. It has good overhead tree canopy protection and also wind protection. So far after this winter's freeze it is showing no damage. We had a low of about 28-29F here but this location was probably about 4-5 degrees warmer. A Cyrtostachys elegans x renda is growing next to it and looks good too.

sab1.jpg

sab2.jpg

cyrt1.jpg

• Upvote 9

Zeeth

Good to know. I saw speculation that it should be relatively sensitive, but you never know until you see the actual reports.

• Upvote 1

Missi

Ooooooohhhh.... :wub::yay:

Thanks for the report!!

• Upvote 1

Eric in Orlando

Another couple of weeks gone by and it still looks good, no delayed cold damage yet.

• Upvote 1

CB Lisa

This is great news! Thank you for the continued updates! 

• Upvote 1

LJG

I have a sneaking suspicion this palm will grow in SoCal in the right microclimate. Great to hear it his those lows in FL. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Eric in Orlando
      By Eric in Orlando
      https://www.leugardens.org/plant-sale-march-12-13-900-a-m-500-p-m/

Plant Sale
      March 12 & 13, 2022
      9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
      FREE Admission all Weekend!
      Plants, Plants & more Plants! Shop directly from the growers and best of all, Leu Gardens is free all weekend, donations are gratefully accepted at all entrances to help offset costs of this event. Make sure you bring a wagon or plant cart for your purchases.  Rain or shine.
      Growers will be selling a variety of plants including: annuals, bamboo, bromeliads, butterfly plants, camellias, ferns, fruit trees, gingers, heliconias, herbs, native plants, orchids, palms, plumerias, roses, vines and more!  Plus, we will have some great outdoor garden accessories! There will be delicious food and treats to purchase so you can stay and enjoy the day.
      Leu Members shop early on Saturday, March 12 at 8:00 a.m. Please bring your valid membership card and photo ID. Guests of members will not be allowed in until 9:00 a.m., this is exclusive for Leu Gardens’ Members. Not applicable to AHS or any Reciprocal Garden.
    • kinzyjr
      By kinzyjr
      See the graphic below and check the link for updates: https://www.leugardens.org/plant-sale-march-12-13-900-a-m-500-p-m/

• Eric in Orlando
      By Eric in Orlando
      We obtained Tahina spectabilis seed from the first batch that was offered and received them in April 2008, We have planted 7 Tahina palms at Leu Gardens from this seed batch. Almost all of them were planted near other Madagascar natives.

1. acc# 090230, planted July 2009, located in the Palm Garden, growing next to a Hyphaene coriacea (formerly H. shatan) from Madagascar seed. 

• kinzyjr
      By kinzyjr
      Our summer meeting is tentatively scheduled for Saturday, June 12th, 2021.  Current plans are a visit to Leu Gardens in the morning and a lunch and nursery visit in the afternoon.  More details will be made available as they are finalized.

• John of Ponce
      By John of Ponce
      I wanted to post a photo of my Sabinaria magnifica Palm that survived despite not being protected and being in an open area of my yard when the temperature dropped to 35 degrees . Its the baby palm in the bottom right of the photo.