IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal Louisiana thriving in Wichita

jfrye01@live.com

Hello, fellow palm nuts! Hope everyone has thawed nicely. I had the chance to stop by and check out my favorite palmy place around here a couple days ago, and was able to grab some pictures for everyone. During December's polar plunge, Wichita bottomed out around -2F at the airport.  Closer to 0F downtown, however, we were below freezing for at least 48 hours. These Sabals have taken this in stride. One of these was planted by a good friend of mine many years ago, the rest have volunteered. A true testament to the hardiness of Sabal Louisiana and the Sabal genus as a whole. Enjoy!

IMG_6773.JPG

IMG_6775.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 11

El_Dorado.gif

@jfrye01@live.com Thanks for the update!  Always enjoy seeing sabals thrive in marginal areas.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

46 minutes ago, Hammer said:

Hey, nice of you to pop back in.  Where ya been hiding? 

Palms look great!

I've been around:) I'm still in that "lurking and learning" phase...I have a lot to learn yet before I start offering advice to others...lol

• Upvote 1

El_Dorado.gif

21 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

@jfrye01@live.com Thanks for the update!  Always enjoy seeing sabals thrive in marginal areas.

You're welcome! I certainly hope I can inspire others in a similar climate to try these! They're starting to show up in yards around town, I love it!! 

• Upvote 1

El_Dorado.gif

IMG_6442.thumb.JPG.4ac121bfc1191f038a1a3Just found this photo from a few weeks back...these same palms covered in a dusting of snow...

• Upvote 4

El_Dorado.gif

@jfrye01@live.com how about some free Chamadorea radicalis seeds? Or Cocothrinax dussiana?

GREAT pictures! From [expletive] KANSAS! Who knew? I didn't. Dang, it's cathartic to learn something really cool!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

22 hours ago, jfrye01@live.com said:

I've been around:) I'm still in that "lurking and learning" phase...I have a lot to learn yet before I start offering advice to others...lol

Just share your experiences.  Only a few people on here can speak with true authority. I am not one of them.

Nice! Im going to replace whatever dies this year with these and needles in the cold part of my garden. 

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

On 1/30/2018, 11:09:41, jfrye01@live.com said:

IMG_6442.thumb.JPG.4ac121bfc1191f038a1a3Just found this photo from a few weeks back...these same palms covered in a dusting of snow...

Awesome update, and good to see something posted from you!!  How have your own palms fared this year??

Having known the expletives of several Kansas winters first hand, these look flawless.. the overall picture, one that no one would guess as in the middle of the Plains. 

As for contributions, totally understand the " learning the ropes as you go along" routine.. .. but, as i tell anyone who is just starting down the Horticultural road, don't be shy to share what you are learning.. via your own experiences. Personal experiences can be extodinarily more valuale  than advise from a book or someone else not directly familuar with your particular climate, soil conditions, etc.. In your case, I'm sure alot of people there in Kansas would be thrilled to see examples of what they can try in their own gardens and hear of how they can succeed. If I were still there, no doubt I'd have been trying hardy stuff up in Lawrence as well. 

While some scoff at the thought of ..or try to de value the student speaking as a teacher, these are usually the same people who forgot somewhere that they too were once students. The teachers of greatest value in life aren't afraid of acknowledging the priceless value taught by their students. 

-Nathan

Very nice sabals in Wichita!  I grew up in Kansas City, Missouri and left a number of sabal minor ‘mc curtain’ and NE TX types at my previous home, my Mom’s house and in a friend’s garden.  They are incredibly tough and cold hardy- even more so than needle palms in my Midwest experience.  The s. minors have had long term success in KC and especially Wichita.  Don in OKC inspired me to try sabal minors in Kansas City more than +20 years ago.  It’s great to see them growing and seeding in z6.  

• Upvote 2

Cool to see them survive the intense cold this winter.

I have a dilemma because I love palms and tropical/subtropical stuff, and yet I love to experience and track interesting weather including winter weather. Little disappointed at times because we get everything here except significant winter precip events (only a little very infrequently). I have been thinking about places like Oklahoma or Kansas because the weather is about as interesting and dramatic as it gets in our country, as well as the winters aren't so bad you're shut in your house for 3 months. I do love the more northern flora (I lived in SW Illinois before and that's where I fell in love with plants). Of course, I'd have to part with most any tender, tropical stuff I like in ground. I'd have a greenhouse definitely.

Edited by Opal92
  • Upvote 2

On 2/1/2018, 7:11:41, Matt N- Dallas said:

Very nice sabals in Wichita!  I grew up in Kansas City, Missouri and left a number of sabal minor ‘mc curtain’ and NE TX types at my previous home, my Mom’s house and in a friend’s garden.  They are incredibly tough and cold hardy- even more so than needle palms in my Midwest experience.  The s. minors have had long term success in KC and especially Wichita.  Don in OKC inspired me to try sabal minors in Kansas City more than +20 years ago.  It’s great to see them growing and seeding in z6.  

Matt, curious what part of K.C. this was in. Fairly familiar with a good portion of both sides of the KS/ MO border.

On 1/30/2018, 11:09:41, jfrye01@live.com said:

Impressive palm, but not surprised - makes total sense there.

Question - what's the dwarf, broadleaf evergreen tree growing with the Sabal?

Edited by Desert DAC
  • Upvote 1

Silas,

I left s. Minors growing in K.C., Mo (Westport), KC North, NKC & Gladstone, Mo. 

There are seeding needles in St. Louis along with several large minors.  They have done so well he is going to plant about 20 15G minors in front of his furniture store in St. Louis  this spring. 

9 hours ago, Desert DAC said:

Impressive palm, but not surprised - makes total sense there.

Question - what's the dwarf, broadleaf evergreen tree growing with the Sabal?

It's a wax myrtle. I'm sure that's their northern range limit. Looks good though. I'd use them in my landscaping when I have a yard one day.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On January 31, 2018 at 8:50:33 PM, DoomsDave said:

@jfrye01@live.com how about some free Chamadorea radicalis seeds? Or Cocothrinax dussiana?

GREAT pictures! From [expletive] KANSAS! Who knew? I didn't. Dang, it's cathartic to learn something really cool!

Thank you, but I'm loaded up on seeds at the moment...I might get kicked out of the house if I start another tray of seeds! ;)

Isn't that something though? We saw -2F this winter and these still look flawless!

• Upvote 1

El_Dorado.gif

On February 3, 2018 at 8:31:54 AM, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

There are seeding needles in St. Louis along with several large minors.  They have done so well he is going to plant about 20 15G minors in front of his furniture store in St. Louis  this spring. 

I believe St. Louis is very similar to my climate, maybe slightly colder though...but I know of several folks who have great success growing palms there also...I'm loving seeing more of them throughout zone 6! 

El_Dorado.gif

On February 3, 2018 at 12:18:45 AM, Matt N- Dallas said:

Silas,

Woah! Any idea if they're still there?

El_Dorado.gif

I can’t wait until my Sabal louisiana looks like that, it just came back from nothing last summer so it has a loooong way to go. I can’t believe they look so good after subzero temperatures. It generally doesn’t dip below zero here, it’s certainly possible but I’ve never experienced it, lowest I’ve ever seen was zero. Our summers are a bit cooler overall compared to yours though, but only during the day, our nights are the same.

And to add my two cents into the Sabal minor vs Needle debate, I was in Washington, DC earlier this month and I saw an exposed Sabal minor that was totally undamaged, while an exposed group of Needles about 40 feet away had noticeable damage, more damage than my New York Needle actually, but they appeared healthy overall. I also got a glimpse of a protected Needle (walls in all directions) that was absolutely massive and undamaged. I’ll include those pics with the tons of other pics of palms I saw in the U.S. Botanical Garden.

• Upvote 1

Thats weird needles typically dont get damaged here in the DMV, but I guess I cant speak for all of them lol. Cant wait to get my needle and minor and put them out front. Will be nice to convert the front garden to a zero protection garden haha. 

Edited by mdsonofthesouth
  • Upvote 1

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

On 2/3/2018, 12:18:45, Matt N- Dallas said:

Silas,

That's very encouraging to hear. We just moved back to the KC area and are living in KC North near 169 and Briarcliff. Looking for a place to buy in one of those areas you mentioned as well, and will probably be experimenting with Sabal minor.

Mike in zone 6 Missouruh